Dvca - Barclay Shield - Season 2011/12

any truth in the rumor that there was more than just the red cricket ball thrown around at the epping v mernda game? word is that the 2 coin tossers decided to go that extra yard for there teams behind the clubrooms at tea time? i wonder who came off second best?????
Johnny Lever or Claudio versus Bakes ? Why was the game called of after 40 overs on day 2?

Johnny Lever or Claudio versus Bakes ? Why was the game called of after 40 overs on day 2?
Thought it may have been a tag team between the Fletcher bros and Bakes. Not great for the comp.........some serious consequences to follow I should think!

Have not heard anything but something must have happened. Why would have Epping let go a chance to hold 5th on the ladder?

Anyone in the know?

Have not heard anything but something must have happened. Why would have Epping let go a chance to hold 5th on the ladder?

Anyone in the know?
Well from what I heard Bakes was given out lbw and was not happy. Fletch got involved and Bakes invited him out the back to sort it out and fisticuffs were exchanged, with allegedly fletch junior getting involved. Just what I've heard! And apparently Bakes has gone down to the cop station to see what his rights are.

Well from what I heard Bakes was given out lbw and was not happy. Fletch got involved and Bakes invited him out the back to sort it out and fisticuffs were exchanged, with allegedly fletch junior getting involved. Just what I've heard! And apparently Bakes has gone down to the cop station to see what his rights are.

Yep pretty close to the mark from what i heard. Heard this third hand so apologies if not 100%.
Bakes given out in first innings to a dodgy one and gave the ump a serve. Mernda were then asked to follow on. Several confident lbw shouts in the 2nd innings were turned down much to the ire of the Epping boys.
At tea, Bakes apparently overheard epping player (Fletcher ?) complaining that the lbw's were not given out because Bakes spoke to the umpires prior. Obviously Bakes took offence to this and the players went 'out the back' to sort it out.
An incident then occurred and the umpires then abandoned the match.

The boys might have some explaining to do... If past precedents are anything to go buy, both might be missing from the game for some time... I am sure the governing body with take the long records (and names) into account though...

I reckon Riverside might slip into the 4 and Lower Eltham might drop out by the end. Going to be very close though!

OK, a few predictions, I have taken a minute or two and will analyse and see what I come up with:

The Combine – Currently 1st with 39 points
To come: NEW, Camrea, Lalor.
Comment - Should have no problems with these three sides. NEW will give them a game but as they have achieved their aim of staying in the big show and cannot make finals may not push too hard. Reckon it’s a 18 points at a minimum....expect an outright in there somewhere.

DCCC – Currently 2nd with 33 points
To come: Camrea, Riverside, NEW
Comment: Clash against Riverside will be a cracker at Creek so they may hold an advantage

Bundoora – Currently 3rd with 33 Points
To come: Epping, Macleod, Plenty
Comment: After a smashing start to the season The Bulls have dropped 2 out of the last three. Epping and Macleod are in the mix and will give themselves a chance, Plenty will go down fighting. Bulls will know they will have to win 2 out of the three.

Lower Eltham: Currently 4th with 33 points
To come: Mernda, Plenty, Riverside
Comment: After losing the first two games have not dropped a point since. Some huge games against Plenty and Riverside will make their run very interesting. Have to beat one of them to stay in.

Macleod – Currently 5th with 30 points
To come: Plenty, Bundoora, Epping
Comment: Three hard ones will mean if they make it they will be playing good cricket and have an impact. No reason they cannot though

Riverside – Currently 6th with 30 points
To come: Lalor, Diamond Creek, Lower Eltham
Comment: Final two rounds will be massive, probably need to win all three games and are capable.

Epping: Currently 7th with 27 points
To come: Bundoora, Lalor, Macleod
Comment: Must win all three, with scores like last week they certainly can.

So after all that I reckon the race to the top four will be close but if I went out on a limb probably will not change.

But then again, in what has been a excellently close season anything could happen.

Yep pretty close to the mark from what i heard. Heard this third hand so apologies if not 100%.
Bakes given out in first innings to a dodgy one and gave the ump a serve. Mernda were then asked to follow on. Several confident lbw shouts in the 2nd innings were turned down much to the ire of the Epping boys.
At tea, Bakes apparently overheard epping player (Fletcher ?) complaining that the lbw's were not given out because Bakes spoke to the umpires prior. Obviously Bakes took offence to this and the players went 'out the back' to sort it out.

The boys might have some explaining to do... If past precedents are anything to go buy, both might be missing from the game for some time... I am sure the governing body with take the long records (and names) into account though...

Sadly the word already going around is Baker and Fletcher have been given 2 years.

Sadly the word already going around is Baker and Fletcher have been given 2 years.
I know I'll probably cop it for this, but we all know I don't care.

Good riddance to the both of them. Whilst they have both been formidable figures within the DVCA, and no one should go out on a career, let alone great careers, like this - with suspensions. I'm not sad one bit. Both think they are a law into themselves and have got away with it for years and rarely do people stand up to them. This time two of the biggest ego driven players went toe to toe, and lost.

2 years is a fair punishment for a ridiculous situation. Great players, but won't be missed by anyone other than their clubs.

I know I'll probably cop it for this, but we all know I don't care.

Good riddance to the both of them. Whilst they have both been formidable figures within the DVCA, and no one should go out on a career, let alone great careers, like this - with suspensions. I'm not sad one bit. Both think they are a law into themselves and have got away with it for years and rarely do people stand up to them. This time two of the biggest ego driven players went toe to toe, and lost.

2 years is a fair punishment for a ridiculous situation. Great players, but won't be missed by anyone other than their clubs.

You might care when either them catch up to you, stick to commenting on things you know about might be a good start

You might care when either them catch up to you, stick to commenting on things you know about might be a good start
I have played against both of these two for 8-10 years and know what they are like on the field. Both are great cricketers, but both of them like crossing the line, but when fire is returned they threaten to "kill you". I have seen them both do it, and no, not just to me or my club.From all reports they are good guys off the field, but terrible on it.

They got what they deserved if what reported is true.

Its sad, and absolutely disgraceful, that it has taken this long for the DVCA to grow a set and get rid of the so-called local hero in Baker. Him and his ugly boof head have been acting the goat for 20 years. Goodbye idiot. Goodbye for good.

What a goose of a comment. People on here can say what they want.....within reason. If they have an opinion about a player and wish to express they can it promotes conversation and as long as they have no personal attack what is the issue?

If what has been reported is true then they both deserve it. Whilst some may have issues with the two (as seen by other posts) my only issue is the fact that it happened, I think its a sad thing for local cricket to have happen. I could not give a rats about these two blokes and if they are chasing blokes who comment on them like you have indicated then they really need to get a life.....but then again they have a few years of doing nothing so..........

I agree with Too Easy in a sense. Congrats to the DVCA for taking a stance. I hear they are also taking a stance against a few 'bowlers' with suspicious actions. Will be interesting to see how that goes as it certainly is a contentious and hard to prove issue.

On another topic, DVCA look like they will reschedule the BS Rd 10 Sunday fixture due to T20 clash.

Stay tuned.:)
On one hand you say congrats to the DVCA for making a stance, and then on the other, you let us know that they have caved to the pressure of the Barclay Clubs and are resheculing games around them. The 20/20 comp is not a DVCA comp, so should have nil effect on the way the DVCA is run.

On one hand you say congrats to the DVCA for making a stance, and then on the other, you let us know that they have caved to the pressure of the Barclay Clubs and are resheculing games around them. The 20/20 comp is not a DVCA comp, so should have nil effect on the way the DVCA is run.

The 20/20 comp is a combined DVCA, NMCA & HDCA comp.
Common sense prevails if they can actually change the fixture.
You would hate to see a DVCA A grade club field a sub standard team in the regular comp, in order to maybe win the 20/20. Clubs entered the 20/20 comp in good faith, prior to the BS fixture coming out. It is not fair on those clubs good enough to win thru, (and we have not yet) having paid entry fees, umpires etc along the way, to not be able to play their full strength team in the final if they are good enough to get there.

On the subject of fixturing - We have enough grounds, in begs belief why we play Sundays at all ...??
eg -Our 2nd ground - Telfer reserve - has been vacant on 3-4 occasions on saturdays this year. I am sure that is not the only venue vacant on a saturday, whilst clubs play sunday.
Would you rather play on a neutral ground on the saturday, or split the club and have to play on sunday , causing selection issues etc... Ok so some clubs can run a good bar on the sunday and do ok, but some clubs dont open canteens etc at all, particularly if lower grades playing.
Think clubs need to think about that for next year...

What a goose of a comment. People on here can say what they want.....within reason. If they have an opinion about a player and wish to express they can it promotes conversation and as long as they have no personal attack what is the issue?

If what has been reported is true then they both deserve it. Whilst some may have issues with the two (as seen by other posts) my only issue is the fact that it happened, I think its a sad thing for local cricket to have happen. I could not give a rats about these two blokes and if they are chasing blokes who comment on them like you have indicated then they really need to get a life.....but then again they have a few years of doing nothing so..........

I agree with Too Easy in a sense. Congrats to the DVCA for taking a stance. I hear they are also taking a stance against a few 'bowlers' with suspicious actions. Will be interesting to see how that goes as it certainly is a contentious and hard to prove issue.

Has anyone heard an official verdict , rather than just hearsay ?

Has anyone heard an official verdict , rather than just hearsay ?

Both players involved have pleaded guilty and have been suspended until 20th January 2014.

Both clubs have been issued a 'please explain' and will front a hearing tonight before the delegates meeting.

Both players involved have pleaded guilty and have been suspended until 20th January 2014.

Both clubs have been issued a 'please explain' and will front a hearing tonight before the delegates meeting.

Interesting, fair call I would reckon, going on past verdicts.
Any update on the alleged 3rd ( & 4th, 5th, 6th...) man in against Baker...?

Anyone know, if rumours of police charges being laid against alleged 3rd man in true...?

Back