Dvca, Nmca And Hdca To Merge

Which Association Clubs will benefit the most from this merger

• Total voters
Merging comps hoping for CV and local Governments to solve the problems is so naive. Anyone who has experience working with these organisations will tell you that they don't give money away freely, and even if you manage to get a grant out of them, they can change their mind without notice. Any 'guarantees' from CV or local Govs should be treated with extreme caution, they have a habit of letting people down. Anyone who actually thinks CV care about juniors our region is kidding themselves. They earmark juniors as early as 12 years of age at the Falcons and they know that the quality juniors leave the DVCA early and go to Northcote or Fitzroy/Donc. Trust me, you won't see Ejaaz Alavi play in the DVCA ever again.

The DVCA has to be self sufficient, there is simply no other way. Every club should be forced to nominate a delegate to run our comp. Failure to do so should result in your clubs 1st XI being relegated a division. Trust me, all the clubs would DEFINITELY find a volunteer. Those 20 odd people then get assigned the various jobs throughout the year.

The NCL concept, as has been seen by the NMCA and HDCA finally, is and always was the only way to go. If the 2 comps merge they will get all the support from CV and go from strength to strength with major council and government funding.
The DVCA is in a state of disarray, but I will say again, the current committee is doing a great job, considering the (very) limited resources and manpower that are available.
All the super powers that put the shutters up last year and refused to listen to the (poorly) put forward ideas of the new comp should be ashamed of the outcome now facing our future, and by that future, I mean juniors - still no junior fixture being put on MyCricket, only being updated weekly. This makes us all look amatuerish, and shows our parents and future players a lack of guidance.
BlackHawk, you raise some stellar points, ( and I don't mean I support slavery). But I must ask the questions, does anyone else on your Club committee (not sure which club you are with, but I would suggest a role quite high up with them) have the time to volunteer for the DVCA exec, or any of the non players around your club have the time to run the Junior committee for the comp, a massive task. Not many clubs would have the people to come forward, unless they were asked (forced) to do so.

Will be a very interesting end of the season, and we all look forward to the (hopefully) very early AGM to discuss how we can get this great competition to continue in ANY form.

NCL is probably a good idea in the greater scheme of things, but it's still only addressing the problem and not the solution the dwindeling numbers of kids. Sure, if the merger went ahead it would increase the number of kids on paper, but it doesn't say HOW you attract more kids to the game, or stop losing them. You'll find yourself in the same position in 5 or 6 years time because the attrition hasn't been addressed directly. The game of cricket needs to change (unforutnantly) to a shorter version to satisfy the current generation of short attention span, soft and parenetally time poor kids. I hate it, but all you need do is look at 20/20 cricket to see where the game is heading.

Where are the current DVCA committee btw? Why are they not around at clubs making themselves known and asking for volunteers? In all my years playing in the DVCA, which is well over a decade, I've never met a single person from the committee. As I mentioned, if committee members were to visit clubs and let people know what they do and what would be expected of people who volunteer you might just get some people. Forcing people at virtual gunpoint has never and will never work.

As for my club, well there are a few who have the time I'm sure, but I think many need a little more experience and knowledge in running volunteer organisations before they should be let loose with administering the competition.

Merging comps hoping for CV and local Governments to solve the problems is so naive. Anyone who has experience working with these organisations will tell you that they don't give money away freely, and even if you manage to get a grant out of them, they can change their mind without notice. Any 'guarantees' from CV or local Govs should be treated with extreme caution, they have a habit of letting people down. Anyone who actually thinks CV care about juniors our region is kidding themselves. They earmark juniors as early as 12 years of age at the Falcons and they know that the quality juniors leave the DVCA early and go to Northcote or Fitzroy/Donc. Trust me, you won't see Ejaaz Alavi play in the DVCA ever again.

The DVCA has to be self sufficient, there is simply no other way. Every club should be forced to nominate a delegate to run our comp. Failure to do so should result in your clubs 1st XI being relegated a division. Trust me, all the clubs would DEFINITELY find a volunteer. Those 20 odd people then get assigned the various jobs throughout the year.

...and you started off so well. You are right in one regard, Cricket Vic, governments and local councils are useless. Never, ever rely on their money or support. If anyone every tells you that they have "a promise" or are "talking to" any council or governmental body, they have NOTHING.

If any division or organisation demanded my club put up volunteers under threat of anything and I was president, they would find themselves infront of VCAT so fast it would make their head spin. Trying to force people WILL NOT WORK.

Did anyone here on the radio show that a meeting is to take place as the HDCA is investigating joining the DVCA!

I think this a logical step for a majority of the HDCA clubs. The HDCA is very well run, has a strong junior competition and also the best grounds in the region, however the geographical constraints of that region mean that it is dwindling in terms of the number of clubs.

Banyule, Viewbank, Heidelberg and Rosanna are all absolute no brainers because of their location (imo). West Heidelberg probably the same, though their lack of numbers may hold them back (same for Nth Heidelberg and East Ivanhoe). Rosebank only have three teams now (though all three are strong), but their location may be more suited to the NWCA. Edinburgh is the difficult one to work out because they have huge numbers in both their junior and senior clubs (which means $$$$ for the association), but the distance between say, Panton Hill, and North Fitzroy (where Edinburgh play) may be enough to put off either/or the DVCA and Edinburgh. Might Edinburgh go the way of Clifton Hill?

I think it is an open secret that Rosanna have been in talks with the DVCA for some time about joining them, and if this were to be the case then you'd imagine it would be curtains for them in their current form.

Did anyone here on the radio show that a meeting is to take place as the HDCA is investigating joining the DVCA!

What your saying is, the HDCA execute are looking after their own clubs that they are involved with, as only half the HDCA clubs have juniors. This would leave the rest of the HDCA clubs in the lurch, as under DVCA rules, you gotta have juniors.

Very ordinary form, if this is true!!!

Just while a few people enjoy scaremongering on this forum about how much trouble our juniors are in, thought I'd mention that our U16 Falcons just won the Dowling Shield for the first time ever. Looking very healthy indeed!

Anyone who actually thinks CV care about juniors our region is kidding themselves. They earmark juniors as early as 12 years of age at the Falcons and they know that the quality juniors leave the DVCA early and go to Northcote or Fitzroy/Donc. Trust me, you won't see Ejaaz Alavi play in the DVCA ever again.
[/quote]
Just some facts that you may have missed.
CV is worried about falling junior numbers in all regions not just DVCA. Thats why they are pumping the Bigbash trying to get kids excited about playing the game and I think it will work.

Juniors are earmarked in the Falcons because this is the system set up as a Pathway to District cricket and beyond and it is up to all DVCA clubs to produce as many players as they can to enter this system.

Ejaaz left the DVCA years ago, along with many others, so he could play Friday night junior cricket in the HDCA as he could play Saturdays seniors without any playing restrictions. Only in the last 2 years has the DVCA fixtured Fridaynights. Who knows he might be back in the DVCA Friday night U18 comp next season.

Just while a few people enjoy scaremongering on this forum about how much trouble our juniors are in, thought I'd mention that our U16 Falcons just won the Dowling Shield for the first time ever. Looking very healthy indeed!

Congrats to CV for amalgamating the Cowboys and the Falcons as it has added more depth to the Northern Falcons. Congrats also to the 16s and their coaching staff who did a great job winning the Dowling Shield. It was a fantastic team effort by the boys. They had a good bowling group and batted all the way down to 11 which saved them a few times. Everyone involved in each players development should also be congratulated.
This only means that our top juniors are doing well and doesn't change the fact that we are losing kids by the bucketloads and more changes need to be made.

From the perspective of a HDCA player I honestly believe that a potential merger between the HDCA and DVCA would prove to be a great move. As we stand at the moment there are 5 clubs in which are highly competitive and stong in first grade; Rosanna, Banyule, Heidelberg, Rosebank and Edinburgh; these clubs are apart from West Heidelberg, Viewbank and East Ivanhoe becuase they way they are run, the way they conduct themselves on the field (uniforms, numbers, professional manner, competiveness).

With the inclusion of the top 5 teams into the DVCA i believe the standard of cricket for that competition would be first class and the travel to grounds (edinburgh, rosebank) would be justified as the players are playing cricket at the highest possible standard available for local cricket, and each team in first grade would be forced to be as professional and competitive as possible or they could face relegation, other than having clubs simply fill in the numbers in the cricket.

As for the others, I am not sure, perhaps they follow suite with the other clubs and join in the lower grades, and it will really test that they want to put a team on the park if they are willing to travel, once again this willingness would enhance the standard of cricket played

If the top 4 or 5 HDCA clubs decide to join the DVCA then its simple what needs to be done. Split the comp and have 2 Barclays type comps like in the subbies. Works well. Your 1 team up 1team down may have been ok years ago when you had less teams but now is killing your comp at the moment. Lets face it clubs can hide in the bottom half of Barclay for years. This only rewards mediocre sides. Any thoughts on this.

If the top 4 or 5 HDCA clubs decide to join the DVCA then its simple what needs to be done. Split the comp and have 2 Barclays type comps like in the subbies. Works well. Your 1 team up 1team down may have been ok years ago when you had less teams but now is killing your comp at the moment. Lets face it clubs can hide in the bottom half of Barclay for years. This only rewards mediocre sides. Any thoughts on this.

100% agree with that suggestion, though I'm sure that the same people will have a big cry about how they've played against the same blokes for years and years, and if they don't get to piss in each others pockets twice a season and reminisce about epic battles on the hessian mats then their competition will be ruined. A strong competition will breed new rivalries in no time at all.

On another note though, I've heard two completely different stories in the past week about what is actually occurring between the DVCA and the HDCA:

1. The DVCA sought out the HDCA and has invited them to join the DVCA next season. I have no idea on where the clubs would fit in though, and whether any would start 2012/13 in Barclay or if they'd have to come through Money (or a 3rd "shield").

2. The HDCA sought out the DVCA, and the DVCA told them to have the clubs make individual proposals to join the DVCA as they couldn't just absorb the whole competition.

Anyone know where the truth lies?

HAHA my post which supported NMCA was deleted by all the biased DVCA supporters who run this forum. There is not much difference between DVCA and NMCA ppl!!

My club plays C grade and C grade reserve, and i can assure you the competition in that is still as intense as they come. There have been 1 or 2 teams folding, so we now we have 7 team comps in the reserve comp, with one team having a bye each week now, but apart from that we are not doing too bad.

HAHA my post which supported NMCA was deleted by all the biased DVCA supporters who run this forum. There is not much difference between DVCA and NMCA ppl!!

My club plays C grade and C grade reserve, and i can assure you the competition in that is still as intense as they come. There have been 1 or 2 teams folding, so we now we have 7 team comps in the reserve comp, with one team having a bye each week now, but apart from that we are not doing too bad.

Yes you are.

That is all.

Yes you are.

That is all.

Maybe financially or some other excuse you can think of.

But cricket wise i beg to differ MUCH difference there is between NMCA and DVCA, i mean i play C grade in jika, i have never played A grade, but i can imagine how much better the teams would be in A grade...even quick shield (B grade) you got bundoora park, cameron , darebin chargers, and you got strathy and footballers coming up through C grade..

i have played A grade and monery shield flag winner at dvca and currently leading the attack in c grade at nmca..
there is not bigger between jika shield and barclay shied but it does through up a issuse with having 3 majo shields compaered to dvca 2... only strathy, footballers and fairfield will be competitive in money shield and will sit middele of the table in barclay.. even though footballers are the most over rated club around. with rosanna , edinbough and kinglake signed to come to nmca next year there is a bigger chance of a merge cuase n one wants to play hdca

i have played A grade and monery shield flag winner at dvca and currently leading the attack in c grade at nmca..
there is not bigger between jika shield and barclay shied but it does through up a issuse with having 3 majo shields compaered to dvca 2... only strathy, footballers and fairfield will be competitive in money shield and will sit middele of the table in barclay.. even though footballers are the most over rated club around. with rosanna , edinbough and kinglake signed to come to nmca next year there is a bigger chance of a merge cuase n one wants to play hdca
who cares about nmca & hdca, you must play for Resa Mayston with spelling like that lol

Back