DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bowling stocks are pretty handy. James Love and Dayne Smith are both 18 years old and if they work hard I'm sure both will become really good bowlers in Barclay Shield. Out batting problems were highlighted this season with the retirement of Lovey and Paves. We have a 3 young blokes who I reckon could make it but will need time. We need to recruit 2 bats in my opinion but I think most clubs are in the same boat.

We are under no illusions that we are in a rebuilding phase, however the same blokes who steered us to our decade of success on field are the same people who are running the club off field today. I'm confident that with good planning, coaching and our club culture we will be playing finals again in all grades sooner rather then later

I was surprised to see how Plenty went this year, I thought they would be a lot better, but just looking through the stats I found this to be interesting and really, they were probably lucky to not be in the relegation zone a bit more:

Wickets taken:
Plenty 11th (out of 12)

Wickets lost:
Plenty 12th (out of 12)

Runs for:
Plenty 11th (out of 12)

Runs against:
Plenty 1st (out of 12)

I have no doubt that it won't take long for Plenty to be up and about again, just as long as those cashed up sponsors are still alive. Although thats right, Plenty don't pay their players. Possibly why your best bowler and best bat are leaving??

I was surprised to see how Plenty went this year, I thought they would be a lot better, but just looking through the stats I found this to be interesting and really, they were probably lucky to not be in the relegation zone a bit more:

Wickets taken:
Plenty 11th (out of 12)

Wickets lost:
Plenty 12th (out of 12)

Runs for:
Plenty 11th (out of 12)

Runs against:
Plenty 1st (out of 12)

I have no doubt that it won't take long for Plenty to be up and about again, just as long as those cashed up sponsors are still alive. Although thats right, Plenty don't pay their players. Possibly why your best bowler and best bat are leaving??

My question would be how strong is their junior program? What sort of depth do they have, how many kids will play a 1st, 2nds or 3rds game? How long will they stick around for? Money is not the answer alone. I can say from experience that it takes a solid 6 to 8 to 10 years of consistent hard work, of consecutive committees, executing the right plan for successful clubs to turn it around.

There is an alternative which i believe will fast track their return to the top 6, and that is the return of David Love to playing. Lovey is a proud man and obviously loves Plenty, whilst he will do what he can off the field to turn it around, his biggest and quickest impact is to start playing again and I reckon he will. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy seeing them in the bottom half for a while, just like the west indies after their dominance in the 80s.

If you did as you said and had an open cheque book, which proven DVCA batsmen would you be after? Keeping in mind there are untouchables ie Minney, Smale are blokes that we know won't leave. So realistically who would you go after?

If you did as you said and had an open cheque book, which proven DVCA batsmen would you be after? Keeping in mind there are untouchables ie Minney, Smale are blokes that we know won't leave. So realistically who would you go after?

Good question.

I think you'd find most clubs' best 1 or 2 bats would be very hard to dis-lodge from the teams they play in currently. Loyalty still plays a part in local sport. There aren't too many guns for hire out there that are worth throwing big bucks at.

Its an age old argument about should you pay a district/sub district player pretty good money to come to your club? Most likely a lot more than you pay your best player? Or should you try to lure someone from within the DVCA (or other local comps) to come, also on reasonable money.

But the fact is, the best bats most years are the players that have played DVCA for 95% of their careers, and are home grown players. The issue is also that they are generally one club players, so they would be hard to dislodge from another club. Don't get me wrong, I think thats one of the DVCA's and the clubs greatest assets, that when they get a player of a high calibre, they are looked after enough, and a good culture is created to keep them at their clubs.

These are the top 5 run scorers in BS this year (I'd do MS players, but I don't really know them well enough) So realisitically who could you chase? My opinion is you would probably not get any of them, leaving the option to go outside of the DVCA.

Smale - Whole career at Riverside
Lever - Whole career at Epping
McLean - Whole career at Diamond Creek
Turner - Whole career at Research
Drummond - Whole career at Lalor
Luff - Started at Riverside and went to Diamond Creek

For the sake of debate Bull, I'd have to disagree. Lovey has served the club so well- surely it's time for them to back in the young players, but perhaps complement them with proven players?

Finding players isnt easy tho. I for one cant believe how many "district champions" come back to the Valley and fail though these days. See Arnberger etc.

Interesting consideration for mine is how clubs willingly pay $10-15k for one player from district, but proven Valley players don't rate highly. Mind you, no one can bat these days.

If I was running my club, and I had an open chequebook, it'd be proven DVCA players I'd be after.

The hit and miss list for expensive players would be a great read. The list of players who have moved intra-comp I would back in would be much more valuable long term.

Thoughts?

Couldnt agree more. I wasn't advocating the retrun of Lovey, just pointing out that it would be the quickest way to get Plenty back up the ladder.

Couldnt agree more. I wasn't advocating the retrun of Lovey, just pointing out that it would be the quickest way to get Plenty back up the ladder.
Its an interesting thought. If I were looking to change clubs and Lovey was there, Plenty would be very high up on my list. No Lovey, and Plenty would drop down the list massively.

Finding players isnt easy tho. I for one cant believe how many "district champions" come back to the Valley and fail

The hit and miss list for expensive players would be a great read. The list of players who have moved intra-comp I would back in would be much more valuable long term.

Thoughts?
I would have thought that when we got Rozzi back from Carlton he has been the best bowler in the comp since his return??

My question would be how strong is their junior program? What sort of depth do they have, how many kids will play a 1st, 2nds or 3rds game? How long will they stick around for? Money is not the answer alone. I can say from experience that it takes a solid 6 to 8 to 10 years of consistent hard work, of consecutive committees, executing the right plan for successful clubs to turn it around.

There is an alternative which i believe will fast track their return to the top 6, and that is the return of David Love to playing. Lovey is a proud man and obviously loves Plenty, whilst he will do what he can off the field to turn it around, his biggest and quickest impact is to start playing again and I reckon he will. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy seeing them in the bottom half for a while, just like the west indies after their dominance in the 80s.
Our junior program over the last few years I would have rated a huge success. I can count probably about 5-6 kids off to district cricket in the last 5 years since we restructured everything. All of these kids would easily walk into our 1st XI this season which would in turn drop 5-6 players down every side. The only other club that I can think of who would have that number off to district clubs would be Diamond Creek?

Our junior program over the last few years I would have rated a huge success. I can count probably about 5-6 kids off to district cricket in the last 5 years since we restructured everything. All of these kids would easily walk into our 1st XI this season which would in turn drop 5-6 players down every side. The only other club that I can think of who would have that number off to district clubs would be Diamond Creek?

From an immediate club perspective you have done to good a job, if all goes to plan you wont see those kids for 5 years or more and once they get a taste of turf they may not come back for some time. No doubt there has been some talented kids come out of Plenty over recent seasons.

Greg Duggin heading off to the USA for 2 years and Jason McGann SERIOUSLY considering retirement.
Considering he got reported on the weekend and from what i was told will get 5 matches, are the DVCA able to suspend him for 5 matches in the 13/14 season as its common knowledge he's moving overseas?

I've heard that he is building a house, with two young kids, so you can't really blame him for deciding to pull the pin. I would imagine there will be clubs throwing $$$ at McGann to play. Still a quality player. Anyone have any idea how old he is?

Mcgann has been wanting to retire for a while or just go back to enjoying his cricket..
Duggin over rated lol

Deans draper and George to go to whittlesea
Mitch mcauley to mill park
Rossy to greenvale

I'm just saying their coach has got them to the GF in his first year and taken a few wickets on the way. Hard to give him the flick don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back