DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yallah your debates are so flawed and are bordering on stupid. Ex Pres is 100% spot on. You cannot blame the DVCA or any organisation for clubs diminishing in numbers, it is the clubs fault. Because whilst you argue that about Greensborough and Macleod, numbers at other clubs are as strong as ever.

Again, Ex Pres is spot on with the demorgraphic in each of the areas, and not areas as in DVCA v HDCA, as each club generally has a suburb that they get kids from, some have two. I know in ELtham that the numbers go up and down each year, when i was younger there were kids everywhere, now there are not so much. But in areas like SM, Mernda etc these clubs are only going to get bigger with smart management from the CLUBS, not the comp. If clubs are losing numbers, that is not due to the comp not changing. The only way you can argue that is if kids are changing comps, which I have not heard of. Kids change clubs at time which is normal. That happens with mates at school etc playing at another club.

I know from personal experience at ECC, that we had a lean club of years with numbers both junior and senior. But last year we had 5 senior teams, 1 vets team and in excess of 10 junior teams, plus 40-50 kids doing Milo. So our numbers are strong... Why? Becasue of the time and effort the committee and parents put in.

I will say that I have dealt with Bundoora's committee a number of times the last couple of years for different reasons and they seem like a well oiled unit too, and without knowing a thing about how many teams they have both Senior and Junior, I would guess their numbers are reasonably good based on the efforts that their committe displayed.

Its probably something that the clubs don't do enough of, and that is work together to help in different ways. LECC and ECC have a great relationship and continually help each other in different capacities. The end result is that their players attend our functions, we attend theirs, and anything we need help in they do at a drop of a hat. We also gave them Whitey to help with a vets flag. :D

So before you pot the DVCA, or how it is run. Maybe ask yourself, what are the committees of the diminishing clubs doing? How are they trying to improve themselves?

Yallah your debates are so flawed and are bordering on stupid. Ex Pres is 100% spot on. You cannot blame the DVCA or any organisation for clubs diminishing in numbers, it is the clubs fault. Because whilst you argue that about Greensborough and Macleod, numbers at other clubs are as strong as ever.

Again, Ex Pres is spot on with the demorgraphic in each of the areas, and not areas as in DVCA v HDCA, as each club generally has a suburb that they get kids from, some have two. I know in ELtham that the numbers go up and down each year, when i was younger there were kids everywhere, now there are not so much. But in areas like SM, Mernda etc these clubs are only going to get bigger with smart management from the CLUBS, not the comp. If clubs are losing numbers, that is not due to the comp not changing. The only way you can argue that is if kids are changing comps, which I have not heard of. Kids change clubs at time which is normal. That happens with mates at school etc playing at another club.

I know from personal experience at ECC, that we had a lean club of years with numbers both junior and senior. But last year we had 5 senior teams, 1 vets team and in excess of 10 junior teams, plus 40-50 kids doing Milo. So our numbers are strong... Why? Becasue of the time and effort the committee and parents put in.

I will say that I have dealt with Bundoora's committee a number of times the last couple of years for different reasons and they seem like a well oiled unit too, and without knowing a thing about how many teams they have both Senior and Junior, I would guess their numbers are reasonably good based on the efforts that their committe displayed.

Its probably something that the clubs don't do enough of, and that is work together to help in different ways. LECC and ECC have a great relationship and continually help each other in different capacities. The end result is that their players attend our functions, we attend theirs, and anything we need help in they do at a drop of a hat. We also gave them Whitey to help with a vets flag. :D

So before you pot the DVCA, or how it is run. Maybe ask yourself, what are the committees of the diminishing clubs doing? How are they trying to improve themselves?

Tongs, firstly I agree with a lot of your points. All that I was stating was that one problem (or aspect that if different would make the DVCA more appealing) from an outsiders perspective with the DVCA is how resistant you are to change. I understand that this has worked for you in the past, but question if it will continue to work for you blokes in the future, I think this is what DJ Yallah was meaning.

The part I highlighted above is the point I was trying to make to Serg. There is a significant number of ex MCC juniors who now play in the HDCA due to how the DVCA runs (and maybe it is a result of a lack of effort from their committee). He said they are content with how they are, I just find it interesting as you would think they should be one of the clubs most keen to try and change some aspects of the DVCA, but maybe that is just the attitude in the DVCA being happy for things to stay the same.

Tongs, firstly I agree with a lot of your points. All that I was stating was that one problem (or aspect that if different would make the DVCA more appealing) from an outsiders perspective with the DVCA is how resistant you are to change. I understand that this has worked for you in the past, but question if it will continue to work for you blokes in the future, I think this is what DJ Yallah was meaning.

The part I highlighted above is the point I was trying to make to Serg. There is a significant number of ex MCC juniors who now play in the HDCA due to how the DVCA runs (and maybe it is a result of a lack of effort from their committee). He said they are content with how they are, I just find it interesting as you would think they should be one of the clubs most keen to try and change some aspects of the DVCA, but maybe that is just the attitude in the DVCA being happy for things to stay the same.

Interesting that you say that the kids are leaving DVCA because of how the comp is run, yet all the kids are from one club... Could it be they don't like how the club was run and one of their closest clubs is in HDCA? Why did these kids leave? You said that it was because of the comp, why?

You keep saying that the DVCA are resistent to change. In the last few years we have gone to all season decks, 4 piece balls, different comp format (higher grades), one day comp x2, bowling restrictions in One Day games, and I am sure more. They are all very big changes to make, I would have thought.

Take out the whole "Super Comp" rubbish. the bottom line is that was very poorly strategised by all concerned, clubs were not consulted, planning seemed a mess, and no one really knew what on earth would happen or how it would look. So forget that crap. What have the other comps done that the DVCA refuse to do?

The other point I would make is this... Which Comp is
The most financial? DVCA
Has the most players? DVCA
Has the most clubs? DVCA
Do other teams want to come to? DVCA

As the old saying goes, "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Why do we need to change? It has proven to be not only very successful, but more successful than the other two closest comps. So I put it to you, that the DVCA resisting to change has proven to be a smarter option, as the other comps that apparently are happy to make changes are struggling.

I don't want to see any comps or clubs fold from anywhere. But the bottom line is the HDCA and NMCA are massively struggling and that is why they want the merger.

i can assure you that our committee works extremely hard with the junior co-ordinators and have done so for the best part of 3 decades. We had 4 junior teams this year, plus Milo ( 46 participants ). We have a milo co-ordinator who works in conjunction with a few senior players and the odd parent during clinincs and they all do a fantastic job.
I cant confirm how many junior players have left over the years, but I can assure you it had nothing to do with the committee, more to do with travel I suspect.
With the introduction of the 1 day grade, we actually increased playing numbers this year with approx a dozen new senior players to the club and we hope to increase this number again .
My statement in relation to being content, goes more down the path of " if it aint broke, then why fix it ". We are always striving as a committee to improve ourselves , to recruit new players to the club, and I think our product is pretty good , so we certainly wont be content in that area.
I just reckon that the stability of the DVCA is more where I was heading with the comment.

Now, still waiting to see which club DJ Yallah is attached to .

Interesting that you say that the kids are leaving DVCA because of how the comp is run, yet all the kids are from one club... Could it be they don't like how the club was run and one of their closest clubs is in HDCA? Why did these kids leave? You said that it was because of the comp, why?

You keep saying that the DVCA are resistent to change. In the last few years we have gone to all season decks, 4 piece balls, different comp format (higher grades), one day comp x2, bowling restrictions in One Day games, and I am sure more. They are all very big changes to make, I would have thought.

Take out the whole "Super Comp" rubbish. the bottom line is that was very poorly strategised by all concerned, clubs were not consulted, planning seemed a mess, and no one really knew what on earth would happen or how it would look. So forget that crap. What have the other comps done that the DVCA refuse to do?

The most financial? DVCA
Has the most clubs? DVCA

As the old saying goes, "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Why do we need to change? It has proven to be not only very successful, but more successful than the other two closest comps. So I put it to you, that the DVCA resisting to change has proven to be a smarter option, as the other comps that apparently are happy to make changes are struggling.

I don't want to see any comps or clubs fold from anywhere. But the bottom line is the HDCA and NMCA are massively struggling and that is why they want the merger.

Firstly Tongs no need to get straight onto the defensive.

I just used MCC as an example, there have been plenty of players leave the DVCA to go to either the HDCA or NMCA. Now before you say it, yes I'm sure players have gone from those two competitions to the DVCA as well.

I wasn't trying to have a crack at your comp, just stating that some factors made kids want to play elsewhere. Bowling restrictions was one, a major one was friday night juniors. I've heard various other reasons too.

Clearly if you have the most clubs, you will have the most players, and if you have the most players then you will be most financial. Don't see what point you are trying to make, I'm not saying that any competition is any better or worse than yours. It's clear you think the DVCA is better than everyone else, that's your opinion and that's fine.

With everything happening with the HDCA, then HDCA clubs have to look at what is best for them as a club. As a club you would look at the past clubs which have moved across, and what has occurred with these clubs and then try to work out why. It's just a process about working out the pro's and con's that come with joining the DVCA.

i can assure you that our committee works extremely hard with the junior co-ordinators and have done so for the best part of 3 decades. We had 4 junior teams this year, plus Milo ( 46 participants ). We have a milo co-ordinator who works in conjunction with a few senior players and the odd parent during clinincs and they all do a fantastic job.
I cant confirm how many junior players have left over the years, but I can assure you it had nothing to do with the committee, more to do with travel I suspect.
With the introduction of the 1 day grade, we actually increased playing numbers this year with approx a dozen new senior players to the club and we hope to increase this number again .
My statement in relation to being content, goes more down the path of " if it aint broke, then why fix it ". We are always striving as a committee to improve ourselves , to recruit new players to the club, and I think our product is pretty good , so we certainly wont be content in that area.
I just reckon that the stability of the DVCA is more where I was heading with the comment.

Now, still waiting to see which club DJ Yallah is attached to .
HDCA delegate invovled with the comp for over 20 years. Played at many clubs within HDCA so too many to Attach. The Point all along isn't about what you have now its about how you maintain it for the future. If you think i've been pot stirring then you've thought wrong because i've just been puttting out examples of what has happened. If you've been reading my posts properly i haven't said once about clubs loosing numbers because of the way the club is ran and whatever crap that has been said. All i've been trying to say is how will this comp and clubs continue to maintain itself in its current form for the future if a rival comp came about and starting challenging the DVCA. All i've been doing is elaborating that point.

Any truth to the rumour that Tom Gilmore could be packing up and moving to Rosanna, speaking to Rosanna people they were impressed with his batting in the Regional T20 comp and seem interested in the youngster

HDCA delegate invovled with the comp for over 20 years. Played at many clubs within HDCA so too many to Attach. The Point all along isn't about what you have now its about how you maintain it for the future. If you think i've been pot stirring then you've thought wrong because i've just been puttting out examples of what has happened. If you've been reading my posts properly i haven't said once about clubs loosing numbers because of the way the club is ran and whatever crap that has been said. All i've been trying to say is how will this comp and clubs continue to maintain itself in its current form for the future if a rival comp came about and starting challenging the DVCA. All i've been doing is elaborating that point.

FFS, it is LOSING not LOOSING!

Any truth to the rumour that Tom Gilmore could be packing up and moving to Rosanna, speaking to Rosanna people they were impressed with his batting in the Regional T20 comp and seem interested in the youngster[/quote
That would great recruiting by Rosanna if all there interested in is winning the 20/20 comp! Has averaged single figures for the past two seasons in the fairdinkum stuff:)

The most financial? DVCA
Has the most clubs? DVCA

I think it would be fair to say if HDCA & NMCA merge goes ahead & the top league is formed into an 8 team comp (maybe 10) with the best 4 or 5 from each (excluding Rosanna of course).....it would make a quite strong top league?
You would think it could quite well attract players from other comps including DVCA?
What are your thoughts Tongs & others?

I think it would be fair to say if HDCA & NMCA merge goes ahead & the top league is formed into an 8 team comp (maybe 10) with the best 4 or 5 from each (excluding Rosanna of course).....it would make a quite strong top league?
You would think it could quite well attract players from other comps including DVCA?
What are your thoughts Tongs & others?

It probably would be strong, although the other HDCA clubs that have left (McL, GB) havent set the world on fire in the DVCA so not sure how to measure the HDCA standard. Camera were Jika superstars for years, yet again havent set the dvca on fire.

Good luck to them, I think those in the valley will be more worried / focused on life and cricket in the valley.

It probably would be strong, although the other HDCA clubs that have left (McL, GB) havent set the world on fire in the DVCA so not sure how to measure the HDCA standard. Camera were Jika superstars for years, yet again havent set the dvca on fire.

Good luck to them, I think those in the valley will be more worried / focused on life and cricket in the valley.
very true however teams change as players have come & gone. on another note very very surprised to see a part time bowler (if that) B.Dean took 5 wickets in a Barclay semi final against the eventual premier. surely the standard isn't that bad?

very true however teams change as players have come & gone. on another note very very surprised to see a part time bowler (if that) B.Dean took 5 wickets in a Barclay semi final against the eventual premier. surely the standard isn't that bad?

Deano is a regular on BC, so he doesnt need me to defend him. Do not under estimate just how good a bowler he is, his 50 odd A grade wickets could well have been 100+ if he hadn't played in such strong bowling sides. Now I'm not saying he's a big spinner of the ball, but he is very capable of tying down batsman, frustrating them and then getting them out.

I couldn't agree more. As a lifelong Diamond Valley resident and cricketer I couldn't care less whether the DVCA is strong or weak or better or worse than other competitions. I just want to have a game of cricket on a Saturday afternoon and not travel halfway across Melbourne to do so. I think 99% of DVCA players would agree.

I couldn't agree more. As a lifelong Diamond Valley resident and cricketer I couldn't care less whether the DVCA is strong or weak or better or worse than other competitions. I just want to have a game of cricket on a Saturday afternoon and not travel halfway across Melbourne to do so. I think 99% of DVCA players would agree.
well said warwick

Have a look for the first time in a few weeks and lucky me gets a mention. Hard for me to argue your logic, however I would have bowled a lot more than any part timer if I'd spent more than 3 years as coach...

On the argument as to which comp/s are stronger, for most people I reckon it's irrelevant. No doubt a "super comp" would be a very strong competition, however, I've been lucky enough to play in very good sides with great clubs in both the DVCA & HDCA. I enjoyed my time in the HDCA but I am and always will be a Bundoora person and will play/support us no matter what competition or level we are playing. For my money, that same opinion would be shared by many park cricketers in relation to their own clubs, regardless of what comp.

And Pepper, I couldn't get a bowl in the HDCA either lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back