England In Australia - The Ashes 2013/14

Now the fun starts for England, where to from here? I guess the key is not to panic and assess what works and what doesn't (being a NZ fan I'm used to this procedure). From the tour my next starting side would be:

Cook (not captain, plus a bit of a break), A Opener, Bell, Pietersen, Root, Stokes, Prior (after a break), Broad, Anderson, Finn, Panesar

A bit like Oz a few years ago, the bits and pieces are there it's just a matter of getting the right captain so that the focus comes back with bit of a reality check for those players and skill coaches that may have got ahead of themselves. Bell needs to be given responsibility (hence #3), Finn needs to be given some freedom to bowl how he wants and Anderson & Panesar need to learn how to bowl when things aren't in their favour.

I suppose the Eng posters would have some ideas as well?

A crushing 5-0 victory to Australia and I must say I've certainly enjoyed it. England have been pathetic all series and today was further proof of that with their meek capitulation inside three days. The fact that their second innings lasted less than 32 overs (and failed to go for more than 150 minutes) also points to their incredibly poor efforts all summer long.

As for England they've got a lot of thinking and rebuilding to do,

Cook - Should remain captain even though he had a pretty poor series as there really is no-one else. He also needs to become a bit more aggressive with his plans and not simply wait for things to happen. He is too much of a reactive captain.

Prior - Had one good innings in the first six and was then dumped for Bairstow who was even worse. He's definitely their best keeper/batsman so I'd expect him to play against Sri Lanka when their home series gets underway.

Anderson - Tried hard and was good at times but struggled overall. Seems to struggle when there is no swing and it showed. Still a reasonable bowler and will no doubt be in the side for the next few years at least.

Bairstow - Came in for Prior and was ordinary to say the least. His glovework was absolutely dreadful with missed chances and dropped catches galore at the MCG. Prior must be wondering why he was replaced after Bairstow's average efforts. Can't really see him playing a huge part in the English test team in the next 12 months after his performances in this series.

Ballance - Played one test so hard to say much about him. Looked okay in the first innings but was simply beaten for pace in the second. Has a good first-class record (averages over 50) so he'd be thereabouts for the home series against SL.

Bell - A shadow of the player he has been in recent years. He had a few good knocks but simply got out cheaply too many times. His dismissal for a golden duck in the second innings at the 'G was just awful. Bell still has a lot to offer in the next few years as he is a good player but he is 32 this year and cannot go on for too much longer with series like this.

Borthwick - Played the final test and picked up four wickets but had no impact with the bat which was supposed to be his strong point. Safe to say he's a project player and will no doubt get more development over the next couple of years.

Bresnan - Another who underperformed. Looked average with the ball and provided little with the bat for most of the series but clearly didn't look 100% fit. His efforts leave him on the fringes for the next year or so in my opinion.

Broad - One of the few English players who can say they played alright. Broad was the English side's best bowler although he did underperform with the bat but pretty much everyone else in the side did as well. Copped a barrage of abuse on and off the field and did well to have had the series he did.

Carberry - Have to ask why he was touring in the first place. Looked okay at times and was unlucky in some but overall Carberry struggled. Didn't have the best fist-class summer in England either which raises further eyebrows as to why he was picked.

Finn - Didn't play a game and looked pretty pedestrian in the tour games in November. You have to question his inclusion in the squad with his lack of form and rhythm in recent times and also with Graham Onions dominating during their home summer. Don't really see him in the side for the near future.

Panesar - Had a poor game at Adelaide (although he outbowled Graeme Swann), was then barely used in Melbourne and not picked for Sydney. With Swann now retired you'd say that Monty would be playing the series against SL but I'm not too sure, he's 32 this year and is average form so his selection isn't certain. Have to also question his commitment to the side given it was alleged he tried to pick up an American tourist via Tinder after the game at Melbourne.

Pietersen - Probably one of most arrogant people in world cricket. The relative disdain he treated the Australian attack (and was continually found out time and time again) showed what sort of person he is. I think Pietersen is a very talented player but isn't team oriented whatsoever and that's something you can't have in a team sport. You also have to question his commitment to the team and whether he really wants to be there, on the basis on this series you'd say he didn't really want to be in Australia and it definitely showed. Not too sure whether he'll be around in the side due to his attitude but he is certainly good enough to be.

Rankin - Played the one game and looked out of place. Wasn't particularly threatening and although he did get one wicket he really struggled in both innings. He was allegedly so nervous before bowling one of his legs went numb.

Root - Played several good knocks but also had a few poor ones too. Probably one of the better batters in the side during the series but that isn't saying much. Should be there for the next few years yet.

Stokes - England's best player. They found a great all-rounder, someone who can bowl well and also someone who can bat at six and all this from someone in his debut series. His innings in Perth in the second innings was superb and was one of their few shining lights of the tour.

Tredwell - Called in as cover for the final test but didn't play.

Tremlett - Was poor in Brisbane and then didn't get another look in. Another questionable selection given Onions' great home summer last year. Faces an uphill battle to play regular games for England in the next few years.

Swann - Was made to look ordinary in the first three tests and then decided to retire, but not before taking a swipe at the squad. Perhaps took the easy way out but he'd had enough by then.

Trott - Had several issues and clearly shouldn't have toured. Have to wonder why the ECB let him tour in the first place given everything that was wrong and the problems that he had. Could do a Marcus Trescothick and might not play for England ever again which would be a massive blow for them.

Just back from holidays and we have won 5/0. Very surprised, considered Aus an outside chance at the start but England really did not show up at all. this was worse than some of the efforts of the late 90's. Bowlers with no heart and batsmen happy to give it over. Really makes there win in the winter hollow. I feel for Cook, he is the best captain for them but clearly they have some discipline issues such as Aus had in India last year.

I think in any conversation with any fans of any sport about the biggest and most profoundly shocking and humiliating collapse of any sports team ever, England Cricket fans probably have the bragging rights.

Really wish I'd put that bloody bet on Australia now.

Solid win by AU on Sunday. One wonders if we can get up in the T20's for a change. By far Australia's poorest format.

SLA, really tell me when you have ever seen a close catch that appears anything except confusing on replay. The replay for catches really has to go or improve the FPS of the cameras.

Ausis are played very well in ashes series some players like watson ,johson,warner,are playing so well that why australia can win after 7 year series in australia.

A crushing 5-0 victory to Australia and I must say I've certainly enjoyed it. England have been pathetic all series and today was further proof of that with their meek capitulation inside three days. The fact that their second innings lasted less than 32 overs (and failed to go for more than 150 minutes) also points to their incredibly poor efforts all summer long.

As for England they've got a lot of thinking and rebuilding to do,

Cook - Should remain captain even though he had a pretty poor series as there really is no-one else. He also needs to become a bit more aggressive with his plans and not simply wait for things to happen. He is too much of a reactive captain.

-Too much of a reactive captain on this tour certainly - but will defiantly be a better captain for the experience. In an peverse way, this could be the making of him as a captain. I feel it would be huge mistake to drop him now.

Prior - Had one good innings in the first six and was then dumped for Bairstow who was even worse. He's definitely their best keeper/batsman so I'd expect him to play against Sri Lanka when their home series gets underway.
-Another senior player that didn't stand up when required - but shouldn't have been dropped on form, and the 'change-up' did absolutely nothing to address the defeated mentality within the dressing room. Bairstow didn't come in as a breath of fresh air.

Anderson - Tried hard and was good at times but struggled overall. Seems to struggle when there is no swing and it showed. Still a reasonable bowler and will no doubt be in the side for the next few years at least.

Will make the same comment as I would about Broad... two front line fast bowlers, usually full of lip and fight turned into very quiet little lambs. These two have, in the past, been a rightfully cocky backbone of the English attack... but where did the fight go? The batsmen never gave them a defendable score, that's for sure, but their increasingly timid personas was disturbing. Why didn't they come out angry? Why didn't they fight fire with fire? Where was the targeting of batsman... and most particularly, where was the planning for each batsman? Great players, but what marshmellows they were on this tour!

Bairstow - Came in for Prior and was ordinary to say the least. His glovework was absolutely dreadful with missed chances and dropped catches galore at the MCG. Prior must be wondering why he was replaced after Bairstow's average efforts. Can't really see him playing a huge part in the English test team in the next 12 months after his performances in this series.
Essentially a meaningless presence; but didn't take his chance to claim the spot or change the dynamic or show fight.

Ballance - Played one test so hard to say much about him. Looked okay in the first innings but was simply beaten for pace in the second. Has a good first-class record (averages over 50) so he'd be thereabouts for the home series against SL.
Impossible for a young player to perform in the circumstances: the rest of his team had basically given up at this point

Bell - A shadow of the player he has been in recent years. He had a few good knocks but simply got out cheaply too many times. His dismissal for a golden duck in the second innings at the 'G was just awful. Bell still has a lot to offer in the next few years as he is a good player but he is 32 this year and cannot go on for too much longer with series like this.
I had never previously rated Bell.. I felt he had never made runs against any genuinely good bowling attack... but lots of runs against lesser attacks.
He actually showed some fight and made some hard runs in adversity. Good Tour in my book

Borthwick - Played the final test and picked up four wickets but had no impact with the bat which was supposed to be his strong point. Safe to say he's a project player and will no doubt get more development over the next couple of years.
Bresnan - Another who underperformed. Looked average with the ball and provided little with the bat for most of the series but clearly didn't look 100% fit. His efforts leave him on the fringes for the next year or so in my opinion.
Must have been injured.... the sight of such a big guy running in and then lacking any intimidation or menace, and letting the ball out like a cup-cake was sad. Like Broad and Anderson, either no wicket taking blood-lust or no character or injured.. or all 3. The inability of the bowlers to bowl as a pack also reduced his ability to have an impact... a factor that is particularly obvious when you compare them to the Australian attack who had a lesser track record but made the whole greater than the sum of their parts.

Broad - One of the few English players who can say they played alright. Broad was the English side's best bowler although he did underperform with the bat but pretty much everyone else in the side did as well. Copped a barrage of abuse on and off the field and did well to have had the series he did.
As per Anderson & Bresnan - but all the worse because he a captain in some forms of the game so the lack of leadership was surprising. One in particular who left Australia with a lesser reputation than when he arrived

Carberry - Have to ask why he was touring in the first place. Looked okay at times and was unlucky in some but overall Carberry struggled. Didn't have the best fist-class summer in England either which raises further eyebrows as to why he was picked.

A player who will be better for the experience. Not totally out of his depth, but not quite acclimatised to the level. Has potential if the admistration give him time to learn from this

Finn - Didn't play a game and looked pretty pedestrian in the tour games in November. You have to question his inclusion in the squad with his lack of form and rhythm in recent times and also with Graham Onions dominating during their home summer. Don't really see him in the side for the near future.

Wrecked by over coaching: a more aggressive England might have gambled with him in Perth and played a 4 fast bowler attack to fight fire with fire and try and put Australia back on their heals a bit and try and wrest the initiative. Could have told Fin to forget about plans and techniques and clear his mind - just go out there and bowl flat out in short vicious bursts to unsettle Australia and then let Broad and Anderson reap rewards from the pressure collectively created. Dunno.. but arguably they should have tried SOMETHING with him, given he was on the tour.

Panesar - Had a poor game at Adelaide (although he outbowled Graeme Swann), was then barely used in Melbourne and not picked for Sydney. With Swann now retired you'd say that Monty would be playing the series against SL but I'm not too sure, he's 32 this year and is average form so his selection isn't certain. Have to also question his commitment to the side given it was alleged he tried to pick up an American tourist via Tinder after the game at Melbourne.

Wouldn't have been picked if it wasn't for Swan. didn't get it on merit; don't know why the persist frankly. He is never going to be what they need - how many times does this need to be proven?

Pietersen - Probably one of most arrogant people in world cricket. The relative disdain he treated the Australian attack (and was continually found out time and time again) showed what sort of person he is. I think Pietersen is a very talented player but isn't team oriented whatsoever and that's something you can't have in a team sport. You also have to question his commitment to the team and whether he really wants to be there, on the basis on this series you'd say he didn't really want to be in Australia and it definitely showed. Not too sure whether he'll be around in the side due to his attitude but he is certainly good enough to be.

The way he lost his wicket in the 2nd innings in Melbourne pretty much summed it up. Had 2 days to bat, chasing 400 runs. Decides to go on a ego-slog battle with Johnson and lost embarrassingly. Im all for players playing their 'natural game' and being all agresssive and blah blah... but surely everyone's 'natural game' has more than 1 gear, doesn't it? My natural game has an aggressive mode, a consolidating mode and a defensive mode... your natural game can take into account the state of the match cant it? A senior batsman to be so utterly cavalier with his wicket at that point of the game is unforgivable. No wonder Flower went into meltdown with him... and it implied that KP was only batting for himself and not the team exactly as many have accused him of. Is it true? I don't pretend to know, but I do know his mind was clearly somewhere else.

Rankin - Played the one game and looked out of place. Wasn't particularly threatening and although he did get one wicket he really struggled in both innings. He was allegedly so nervous before bowling one of his legs went numb.

consolation selection. Shouldn't have been nervous... he had nothing to lose! he couldn't do any worse!

Root - Played several good knocks but also had a few poor ones too. Probably one of the better batters in the side during the series but that isn't saying much. Should be there for the next few years yet.

Really liked the look of Root in this series. One of the very few English players who didn't look beaten or defeatist (at least until Sydney, anyway)

The only English player Im aware of that kept his body language and public statements positive and clearly wanted to take the fight up to Australia - the tragedy was that none of the so called senior players around him had the same gumption. Again, hopefully he learns something from the experience and goes on to be a great player for England.

Stokes - England's best player. They found a great all-rounder, someone who can bowl well and also someone who can bat at six and all this from someone in his debut series. His innings in Perth in the second innings was superb and was one of their few shining lights of the tour.

similar to Root

Tredwell - Called in as cover for the final test but didn't play.
Tremlett - Was poor in Brisbane and then didn't get another look in. Another questionable selection given Onions' great home summer last year. Faces an uphill battle to play regular games for England in the next few years.

As per comments on Finn

Swann - Was made to look ordinary in the first three tests and then decided to retire, but not before taking a swipe at the squad. Perhaps took the easy way out but he'd had enough by then.

totally bizzare and yet the UK media have been very very gentle about it. "Sure, give up 3 days before the 4th test. abandon the tour and your teammates. Poor Swanny" I guess we'll have to wait for the autobiography to know the real story.

Trott - Had several issues and clearly shouldn't have toured. Have to wonder why the ECB let him tour in the first place given everything that was wrong and the problems that he had. Could do a Marcus Trescothick and might not play for England ever again which would be a massive blow for them.

no one wishes Trott ill, I hope he comes back fit and strong. The one question is how come England doesn't pick up on this stuff pre-tour?

Did anyone notice the half-hearted caught behind appeal that was turned down during (I think) Eoin Morgan's innings yesterday? The commentators didn't make anything of it, but there was a clear snick-like noise with a high spectral spike on Real Time Snicko, yet the bat was clearly several inches away from the ball. Surely this raises a few serious questions! What caused that noise, and doesn't this expose a major concern with Snicko? What if the ball was only millimetres away from the bat and Australia had reviewed the decision? It would seem that batters' scuffling feet, and perhaps bats flicking pads and pads flicking pads, are producing clicky noises that can be easily misconstrued for thin edges off the bat. When many factors move very quickly in the space of a few fractions of a second, it's very difficult for even the third umpire to tell what's what. When a batter moves fluidly in one motion, a scuffling foot can easily coincide with a reflex defensive poke. Thankfully, the synchronised audio and video of Real Time Snicko will greatly help in clarifying these muddy problems, but now I'm going to start second-guessing myself when someone is dismissed with one of those feather-thin edges or snicks that aren't crystal clear.

The WA public should be pretty ticked off about the poor treatment they received by the ACB. WA is constantly getting the down graded model whether it be the Aussie second XI ODI team or loosing a test match next year. The game was a laugh and yet again a fine example of why the rotation idea is rubbish. Rotation saw the team fall to pieces for a couple of years and needs to be put to sleep for good.

Back