England In Australia - The Ashes 2013/14

Yeah, I saw that coming (Swanne), I'm not a big fan of him at all, a good bowler I have to concede, but the bloke - everything I see or here him doing just p*****s me off for some reason. I've not read or heard the full story yet, but the fact that he's bailing out mid series seems about par for him. I really hope Monty gets a go and does well.

The story he gave at the press meet was that he simply was not competitive in the second innings any more and to just hold on and play more tests would not have been right by the team. Take it as you wish but he seemed genuine and i think it would not have been an easy thing to do. Good luck to him as he now cashes in on the T20 gravy train. We might see him in the big bash next year.

Personally I think he's having a little tantrum, odd for a spinner to retire at 34 when history has shown that a spinner hits their peak around then.

I'd suggest the injuries, detoriating team environment (losing) and the fact that he was probably going to be dropped for Panesar may have led to a run in with the rest of the team.

Retiring already :confused: I'd prefer another 7 years, but here's to a brilliant career filled with ripping off breaks and then some:D...

Do any of you know why the Trackman is only used in England? Will it ever be used in matches between other countries? I miss that tiny watch thing on the bottom of the screen :(

Are they still working on it and trying to perfect it? Because I still don't know why it doesn't show some deliveries and why it was only used during the ashes in England! It's a great little invention, I'd live to know the amount of revs that Imran Tahir gets! I'll never stop laughing. In slow motion, between his release and about 3 meters travel time, I counted 5 :)

Speculation being reported as news :rolleyes: Asking Swann's grandmother, too -- seems a bit straw-clutchy to me.

Well i posted it as i saw it as a joke. Really what is granny to say. Swann has done what ever it was he thought he should and if he regrets it, well that's his issue

Win the toss and field? MMM interesting choice. Hope that does not blow up in their faces but having won the series it is good practice at bowling first.

As I'm watching the England batting atm (Pietersen, 4 (26), and Root just gone, having made 24 after 2 hours. It's a graphic example of how important it is to get singles. That I think has been England's problem the whole series, they weren't looking for them. Pietersen has only had one scoring shot!

Interesting that Clarke put England in, pretty dull day's play so far.

Yep not very exciting but a solid day by Australia. All the bowlers kept it tight and the rewards were there with patients. Love the way Swann says his comments were not about his own team.

You know what I like about the past couple of days?
That it actually has been a bit of a grind

RR of 3.5-4 doesn't do it for me anymore in tests. It's been too easy for too long for some. Go on, see if you're game enough to step forward and across and meet the ball, instead of letting sailing past for 90 balls. I hope this becomes a trend in all test cricket. The "theatregoers" can get stuffed! I was hoping Bresnan would end up bowling more overs than conceding runs!

And now couple of brain-melts from England let Australia back into the game.. What was Root thinking with that single??

So 231 for Australia to win.. Lyon with 5 wickets. Pitch still looks fine could still be an awkward run chase though.

So it was fun yesterday, sitting at the top level of the Southern stand, at about fine leg/long on to a RH. The best atmosphere was when Pietersen was batting. Not just because of the good shot he played, but the crowd went to rip into him at any opportunity. Even guys who didn't like him, like him being there.

As far as my thoughts on how the game's progressed.

England's tactics for the last wicket, when they'd spread out and give a single for Haddin, then close for Lyon, really is laughable when you see it live. It's dumb when you see it at the level of cricket that I play. OK give the guy a chance to get a single, but make it a somewhat hard shot to get it. Hopeless.

I'm not going to bother about the collapses, softer wickets or the total score. However, the person who **** me the most was Carberry! Fkn hell! I reckon he's cost the team anywhere up to 50 runs with the way he batted, which was laughable. Alright, leave balls and accumulate scores. But there comes a point when he left so much, that you'd have to ask wtf is he doing? Why is he there?Cook was on about a run a ball 40, and Carberry faced a similar amount of balls for 1!:mad:

That innings was not of the standard/attitude for this level of cricket. Typically, when you start off slow, it means eventually (1, 2-3 hours) you'll be so in tune with the conditions and bowing that you'll score at 60+ and the bowling side will nfi how to get you out, and then get dispirited. But not him, he's just...there.

I'm going to say 50-odd runs he cost with the runs he didn't score and, as a result on taking so much of the strike, denying Cook to score more.

Hopeless. It wouldn't surprise me if it costs me the game in the end.

Australia just steamrolling towards 4-0 now with Rogers getting 100 and Watson putting his foot down and going past 50.

Back