Fake cricket bats

Re: Fake cricket bats

Hey guys,

Im a bit of a late bloomer in cricket, became a fan through the 05 Ashes (Im a pom if you didnt guess) and got really into it so joined a club a year ago.

Ive quickly ended up as number 11, cant expect any higher with an average of 0.50 (no jokes), but since then ive learned to play with a straight bat and can hold up an end reasonably well. My bat was a Malik Zulfi, pretty heavy one, not sure the exact weight. Its now has died and I need a new one.

Im not too happy with my heavy ol willow, thinking something light and with a light pick up too will get me playing my shots without being hurried into them. ive looked at the custom Shot! bats (Cricket Equipment, Cricket Bats, Cricket Pads, Cricket gloves, team clothing, custom made bats) , figure it might be more condusive to spend a lil bit for a custom bat that lasts longer and suits better than a cheaper brand name bat. Im wondering if anyone has any experience with these bats, or can recommend any other brands and bats?

Cheers

Tony

If you want custom made I would say buy from your local batmaker rather than the Shot! ones. The Shot! ones are made in India, whereas you can visit your local batmaker and choose a cleft.

evo;385568 said:
If you want custom made I would say buy from your local batmaker rather than the Shot! ones. The Shot! ones are made in India, whereas you can visit your local batmaker and choose a cleft.

Lekka Cricket Bat Competition (UPDATE)

Good Morning All,

All entrants will be offered a Custom Made Lekka Cricket Bat for £120 !

Contact Us

Maybe your fellow team players will also be interested so feel free to pass on the link.

Best of Luck !

James

--
LEKKA SPORT ®

dsi;396484 said:

I personally think it looks real enough, the photos are all matching each other for background. Also ebay is pretty good at covering base and espeically if you use paypal. seller has good feedback, and a few recent bats sold at 65-100 $ with a good comment. Seems alright to me. It also claims to have a " Full money back guarantee for this item if you won't be satisfied or you think the item is fake. " Which i would imagine is a binding statement?
Having said that, Accrding to http://www.kookaburra.biz/osb/itemdetails.cfm/ID/380 it should come with a black grip.

I reckon it is a Kook but I have doubts as to whether or not it's really the $700 version. Wood looks a bit off to me (but it's hard to judge from the photos and the plastic wrap).

Would say it more likely a lower grade wood - he doesn't mention anything which adds to my doubts. If you can pick it up cheap then worth it.

Hi guys, first time poster here!

I've Just been looking at the Puma Ballistic 6000 SH on Ebay, and wanted your professional opinions before I committed to making a purchase.

- PUMA Ballistic 6000 SH Cricket Bat 2lb 9oz SIGNED 09/10 - eBay Bats, Equipment, Cricket, Sport. (end time 11-Apr-10 13:28:01 AEST)

- Puma Ballistic 6000 Cricket Bat 0809 2LB 9 0Z signed - eBay Bats, Equipment, Cricket, Sport. (end time 08-May-10 17:06:56 AEST)

The second link uses stock images to display their products, so I'm only going off what they've got written down. I've just now requested photos of the actual product, but haven't received any just yet.

So what do you guys reckon? Real, or fakes?

Seems ok, worth a punt I reckon.

Store looks well organised, plenty of feedback etc. Would ask for the actual grade of wood and some photos though.

Ok, thanks - just waiting now for a reply and if all checks out, I'll make my purchase.

Appreciate the help, Mos Cambios!

No worries. You can never be 100% certain without seeing the bat in the flesh but as long as you're careful you can minimise the risks.

Alarm bells ring slightly for me on that one. Not sure why but I would be careful and ask a few more questions about it.

A guy I play with bought that exact same bat from eBay a few months ago and it was perfectly good. I'll ask him whether that was the seller next time I see him.

Thanks.

Is there any real decisive way of knowing whether it is real or fake once you physically get your hands on it? With the odd report of fake bats playing well, it seems fairly tricky.

The bats are not fake in the conventional sense of the word. What this thread should really be titled is 'Wrongly described' or 'badly labelled' bats.

If you buy a bat there there a few likely outcomes:

1 - It is what it says it is. You buy a grade 1, you get a grade 1.

2 - It's the correct bat but the grading is wrong. Labelled as grade 1, you get a grade 2/3

3 - You get a Kashmir willow bat. I guess this is where the fake bit comes in - you think you're buying a GM bat but you get a Kashmir bat with fake labels.

They seem to be the most usual outcomes. All of the bats will work and all will play ok (to a point). The issue is not getting what you actually paid for.

Yeah i suppose in this case i am referring to the 3rd outcome, a kashmir fake. Number 2 is certainly the case, because its advertised as top grade english willow, but the actual SS Ton Smasher is a 2nd grade English Willow bat to my knowledge.

Thanks for the help and quick replies.

It's hard to tell and the problem is that a lot of sellers are vague with their descriptions. Often they say it's English willow grown in India, which is bascially Kashmir willow.

As I said, ask the seller for more and see what you get back.

Hey guys, sorry to bother you again, but I finally got some actual photos of the bat i've been looking at, and seeing as I don't really know too much about it, thought I might ask you guys whether or not it looks like Grade 1 English Willow as they stated.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6666/sdc11286x.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1520/sdc11287.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4618/sdc11288.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/416/sdc11290c.jpg

Just like to say thanks again for everyone contributing to this thread - especially Mas Cambios. It's been VERY helpful, especially for someone like me who doesn't really know what to look for in terms of the quality of wood a bat is made from.

Back