GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Re: GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Here's the preview for Round 7 in the BPCA

Wallabies search for three in a row

Tim Michell

Wallington will be out to continue their recent good form when they host Newcomb in one of the matches of Round 7 in the BPCA. While the Bulls have struggled since beginning the season in solid touch, Wallington have strung together two wins in as many matches since ending their barren run of losses. Having conceded only 187 runs in their last two outings, the Wallabies bowlers should be the key to this weekend’s outing, considering the BPCA reverts back to a one day format.

Drysdale and Ocean Grove meet in a clash which is likely to see the victor hold the crucial sixth spot at the completion of Round 7. The Hawks come into the game on the back of some strong form in the two day format, having won their last three fixtures. In contrast, Ocean Grove have dropped their last four matches and desperately need a win to kickstart their finals assault. If the Hawks batsmen can continue their form from last weekend, then another win could be on the cards for Drysdale.

Collendina host Anglesea in a match which could outline the direction of Anglesea’s season. Currently situated in eighth position after their loss to Jan Juc last weekend, the Roos need to hit back against an in form Collendina side. Kade Norquay has been one of the form batsmen of the competition, and will be the key scalp for Anglesea bowlers Darren Andrews and Christian Robertson.

Jan Juc have a chance to prove themselves as a contender when they host St Albans/Breakwater. Sitting a surprise fifth after six rounds of Bellarine cricket, the Sharks have momentum on their side, although they will need to muster all their skill to overthrow the third placed Saints. Only percentage separates St Albans from the top of the table, which will leave Jason Murray’s side intent on overtaking Queenscliff and Barwon Heads. Sean Braniff will be keen to continue his form from the Saints B Grade this weekend and prove he can be a major factor in any St Albans success.

Queenscliff should be far too good for Barrabool, who have struggled to find stability with the bat this season. While there is unquestionably talent in the ranks at Barrabool, last years stars Heath Farnsworth and Kane Pickering have gone missing in the first six rounds of season 2008. While David Hutchison has been impressive at the top of the order, he will need more support against a Queenscliff bowling attack which has proved lethal at times this season.

Portarlington will be aiming to get back on the winners list against struggling Geelong West Sports Club. The Demons were gallant in defeat against Barwon Heads, but lacked the killer blow in the early stages of the Seagulls innings. The Cheetahs found a willing participant with the bat last weekend, with Mark Sheedy pitching in 56 in the lower order, but the first year BPCA club will need more from its top order to get close to the Demons this weekend.

Barwon Heads has a timely bye, which has come on the back on an injury to coach Chris Welsford. The club has also lost paceman Conan Roos, who returns to the GCA after a short stint with the club

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;290709 said:
I heard they were very close to applying to move into the BPCA at the start of the season, I don't know how true it is and if they're still looking to in the coming seasons. It would leave a huge gap on the surf coast if they did leaving no turf club down and around that way.

Would be an interesting one, they would have to dump their turf if they came over. Would make Grovedale the place to go if you wanted to stay close to home and play turf

Solid Defence;290717 said:
Would be an interesting one, they would have to dump their turf if they came over. Would make Grovedale the place to go if you wanted to stay close to home and play turf

could they not keep the turf?
like us in div 3. div 3 being prodominently a hard wicket comp, with us being the only turf club, could torquay not keep their turf?
might give some youngsters around the bpca something to look forward to, play on turf

Badger;290721 said:
could they not keep the turf?
like us in div 3. div 3 being prodominently a hard wicket comp, with us being the only turf club, could torquay not keep their turf?
might give some youngsters around the bpca something to look forward to, play on turf

Not sure they would get the Turf subsidy if they went to Bellarine.. Are St Albans going to be playing on their turf wicket this season??

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;290737 said:
Not sure they would get the Turf subsidy if they went to Bellarine.. Are St Albans going to be playing on their turf wicket this season??

Nah we're staying off it for the whole season, there's no point while were in the BPCA. The ground is getting done the sods laid tomorrow, the turf table is looking good could almost play on it tomorrow.

Renny24;290704 said:
Well put Riss. Surely the biggest disappointment this season in Div 2 are the boys from Torquay. I mean, everyone knew they were struggling in Div 1 but then to come down a level and really struggle in all grades makes you wonder what has happened down the Surfcoast Hwy. Maybe anyone on here associated with the club could give a bit of an insight. Probably five or more years since they won that Div 2 flag and went up to Div 1 but could it be that the demands and rigors of Div 1 have hurt them. Many clubs around that would go down the same path if exposed to Div 1 for a length of time. My club for one and I would certainly empathise with Highton this year for not going up. At the end of the day, a club wants to be the best it can be but sometimes, like it or not, that is a good, solid Divvy 2 club. Thoughts?

I don't know about the BPCA scenario, i was obviously not around for the off-season. I would suggest Torquay aren't where they should be if you quantify it by saying they were Div 1 last year and should be doing better. However, 4 months ago, from what i gather, the club were going to struggle to get 4 teams out. After a bit of rallying round, we win 2 from 3 in 1st grade and people are talking finals this etc etc. If the team we put out in the 1st 4 games plays all year, we finish top 6. However, Sunday cricket has really hurt us with putting out a consistent team, and consequently we have lost 3 on the spin. Wouldn't say we are struggling across all 4 grades though. 2nd grade are top 4, 4th grade have only lost once. It is very much a transitional year, and every game, we have had 8 of our U/17 team playing turf (they have only lost 1 game for the year too). We should be stronger after christmas with a return to playing saturdays. Disappointing yes, but plenty of optimism and bonuses already.

AB1;290776 said:
I don't know about the BPCA scenario, i was obviously not around for the off-season. I would suggest Torquay aren't where they should be if you quantify it by saying they were Div 1 last year and should be doing better. However, 4 months ago, from what i gather, the club were going to struggle to get 4 teams out. After a bit of rallying round, we win 2 from 3 in 1st grade and people are talking finals this etc etc. If the team we put out in the 1st 4 games plays all year, we finish top 6. However, Sunday cricket has really hurt us with putting out a consistent team, and consequently we have lost 3 on the spin. Wouldn't say we are struggling across all 4 grades though. 2nd grade are top 4, 4th grade have only lost once. It is very much a transitional year, and every game, we have had 8 of our U/17 team playing turf (they have only lost 1 game for the year too). We should be stronger after christmas with a return to playing saturdays. Disappointing yes, but plenty of optimism and bonuses already.

AB, hear what you are saying but you may have missed my point; what has happened over the past couple of years? Where have all the players gone? Not that long ago, when Torquay went up to Div 1 they were right up there and it has only taken a couple of years and now; with all due respect, the turf sides are struggling to put some results on the board. I mean, Torquay is a rapidly growing community of what; 15,000 people? I'm not having a go. I wish the club all the best in getting itself up and about.

No mate, see the point, but i can only speak from my previous year, and this year. I still believe that the team we had 2 years ago should have competed very strongly in a finals series. Smelly, Munce, Skrobba and Nudge were all proven cricketers at that level. The reason i believe we didn't is possibly the reason the club is struggling now, maybe a lack of clear leadership throughout the club, and a certain laissez-fair attitude to training and playing. I believe this is slowly changing. The club is actually in a far better position for numbers now, than it was then. The points are that the club, rightly so, are far more interested in bringing on their own, than bringing in players, and tapping into the growth of the area.This may mean a couple of tough years to get back to the levels TCC were at 2-3 years ago. As with previous discussions on here, it is difficult to get guys to come and play down here from Geelong so TCC need to produce there own. I'm pretty sure, as i said earlier, that a more consistent availability this season, would have seen us further up the ladder. I'm sure Mr O Neill would say that we outplayed them in round 1, and i reckon they are the best side in it, but a combination of a young list and unavailabilities has meant we are very inconsistent. As i said, hopefully this will change after Xmas. Oh, and the decks are shocking in Div 2!!!:D

AB1;290830 said:
No mate, see the point, but i can only speak from my previous year, and this year. I still believe that the team we had 2 years ago should have competed very strongly in a finals series. Smelly, Munce, Skrobba and Nudge were all proven cricketers at that level. The reason i believe we didn't is possibly the reason the club is struggling now, maybe a lack of clear leadership throughout the club, and a certain laissez-fair attitude to training and playing. I believe this is slowly changing. The club is actually in a far better position for numbers now, than it was then. The points are that the club, rightly so, are far more interested in bringing on their own, than bringing in players, and tapping into the growth of the area.This may mean a couple of tough years to get back to the levels TCC were at 2-3 years ago. As with previous discussions on here, it is difficult to get guys to come and play down here from Geelong so TCC need to groom there own. I'm pretty sure, as i said earlier, that a more consistent availability this season, would have seen us further up the ladder. I'm sure Mr O Neill would say that we outplayed them in round 1, and i reckon they are the best side in it, but a combination of a young list and unavailabilities has meant we are very inconsistent. As i said, hopefully this will change after Xmas. Oh, and the decks are shocking in Div 2!!!:D

Sunday cricket is the worst.

I agree AB1, we were well outplayed in Round 1 by the Torquay boys.

Dinosaur_Maroon&Blue;290737 said:

turf subsidy is provided by the COGG and not the GCA. Torquay are not part of the COGG so they do not get the same benefits as what the COGG clubs get. This is the same for St Joeys and Waurn Ponds as they are not council owned grounds. All these clubs get a small figure from the GCA which is not the same as what the COGG club grounds get.

Also in regards to Newcomb's ground is it likely to be up back in action after XMAS or not at all this season ?

AB1;290830 said:
No mate, see the point, but i can only speak from my previous year, and this year. I still believe that the team we had 2 years ago should have competed very strongly in a finals series. Smelly, Munce, Skrobba and Nudge were all proven cricketers at that level. The reason i believe we didn't is possibly the reason the club is struggling now, maybe a lack of clear leadership throughout the club, and a certain laissez-fair attitude to training and playing. I believe this is slowly changing. The club is actually in a far better position for numbers now, than it was then. The points are that the club, rightly so, are far more interested in bringing on their own, than bringing in players, and tapping into the growth of the area.This may mean a couple of tough years to get back to the levels TCC were at 2-3 years ago. As with previous discussions on here, it is difficult to get guys to come and play down here from Geelong so TCC need to produce there own. I'm pretty sure, as i said earlier, that a more consistent availability this season, would have seen us further up the ladder. I'm sure Mr O Neill would say that we outplayed them in round 1, and i reckon they are the best side in it, but a combination of a young list and unavailabilities has meant we are very inconsistent. As i said, hopefully this will change after Xmas. Oh, and the decks are shocking in Div 2!!!:D

We've played on some excellent wickets so far this season (AT, Waurn Ponds, Nth Shore) I hope your not blaming the wicket at Bell Park for your dismisall. Afterall, we made 210 on it and your No. 10 and 11 handled it well. I know there was alot of grass on it but it didn't play a part in any wickets lost. I also think you blokes are a long way ahead of St.Peters, in depth all thru your grades, so I don't know what Renny is on about. He should look at his own club and try to figure out what has gone wrong there in the last 5 years or so.

Dragon's Lair;291005 said:

We've played on some excellent wickets so far this season (AT, Waurn Ponds, Nth Shore) I hope your not blaming the wicket at Bell Park for your dismisall. Afterall, we made 210 on it and your No. 10 and 11 handled it well. I know there was alot of grass on it but it didn't play a part in any wickets lost. I also think you blokes are a long way ahead of St.Peters, in depth all thru your grades, so I don't know what Renny is on about. He should look at his own club and try to figure out what has gone wrong there in the last 5 years or so.

You are exaggerating somewhat re:St. Peters. They've lost a few players to GCA1 (Ford, Hester), Geelong CC (Burke) and retirement (Gaylard, Lamb) and still manage to be more than competitive across all grades every year. Like most division 2 clubs (ie: all of them except Highton and possibly Torquay and Murghe), St. Peters don't have huge numbers of juniors so it's always going to be hard to replace the loss of that many 1sts players. On-field they are as professional as any club in division 2, even through the 3rds and 4ths, and the club as a whole will always be thereabouts come finals/club championship time

Dragon's Lair;291005 said:

Mate, i've played enough cricket to know that the wicket we batted on hadn't been touched from the week before. If the umpire was as good as his word it would have been reported, but we played and that's the end of it. That's to be half expected i suppose.... But hey, we lost the game the weekend before by letting you boys get that many and the guys at 5 and 6 batted really well. I'm taking nothing away from you in that respect.

a for effort;291014 said:
You are exaggerating somewhat re:St. Peters. They've lost a few players to GCA1 (Ford, Hester), Geelong CC (Burke) and retirement (Gaylard, Lamb) and still manage to be more than competitive across all grades every year. Like most division 2 clubs (ie: all of them except Highton and possibly Torquay and Murghe), St. Peters don't have huge numbers of juniors so it's always going to be hard to replace the loss of that many 1sts players. On-field they are as professional as any club in division 2, even through the 3rds and 4ths, and the club as a whole will always be thereabouts come finals/club championship time

There 2's have only won 1 game, to me that's not competitive thru all grades.

Dragon's Lair;291028 said:
There 2's have only won 1 game, to me that's not competitive thru all grades.

They won the flag last year. You suggested that we look at the last 5 years, during which time St. Peters and Manifold have been the two consistently strong sides in the competition (for the period that they were in division 2)

AB1;291021 said:
Mate, i've played enough cricket to know that the wicket we batted on hadn't been touched from the week before. If the umpire was as good as his word it would have been reported, but we played and that's the end of it. That's to be half expected i suppose.... But hey, we lost the game the weekend before by letting you boys get that many and the guys at 5 and 6 batted really well. I'm taking nothing away from you in that respect.

Should we move this discussion to preferred match format?! Ie: same wicket for both teams on the one day?

Wickets around Division 2 are well under prepared compared to those of Division 1. Under prepared wickets always favour the bowlers. The final total for batting teams will be indicative of this.

1st Innings runs scored for Round 6:

Division 1 - 2562 (6 200+ totals)
Division 2 - 1755 (2 200+ totals)

AB1;291021 said:

Don't you agree that the wicket had the same amount grass on it the week before, and none of the wickets that fell both weeks were due to the wicket. We also had bad weather leading up to the 2nd week and the deck was still hard.

Dragon's Lair;291032 said:
Don't you agree that the wicket had the same amount grass on it the week before, and none of the wickets that fell both weeks were due to the wicket. We also had bad weather leading up to the 2nd week and the deck was still hard.

No mate, i wouldn't agree at all. I agree the weather would have played a major part in it being more underprepaired than usual, but i don't believe it was rolled at all, and if it was cut, it was earlier in the week. Still, i am led to believe that it happens more than it should, and can't blame you for it. This is also not sour grapes from me either Dragon's Lair, as you won the game the week before when the pitch was at it's best. You boys showed plenty to get 200 from 4-35, especially after struggling for the year, so you desrved it. The young guys played very impressively.

thommy_rissole;291030 said:
Should we move this discussion to preferred match format?! Ie: same wicket for both teams on the one day?

Wickets around Division 2 are well under prepared compared to those of Division 1. Under prepared wickets always favour the bowlers. The final total for batting teams will be indicative of this.

1st Innings runs scored for Round 6:
Division 1 - 2562 (6 200+ totals)
Division 2 - 1755 (2 200+ totals)

The BPCA wickets are always green tops and the batters have no problems!:D:D

GCA div1 15823 runs scored @ 25.12 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.20 with 15 100's and 66 50's and 89 ducks (630 wks & 4946 overs)

Div2 12536 runs scored @ 16.13 runs per wicket with a run rate of 2.78 with 4 100's and 31 50's and 138 ducks (777 wks & 4507 overs)

Div3 11232 runs scored at 17.80 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.67 with 9 100's and 36 50's and 115 ducks (631 wks & 3057 overs)

In the BPCA there has been 13538 runs scored @ 22.27 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.41 with 9 100's and 57 50's and 83 ducks (608 wks & 3970 overs)

I don't really know what this proves but hey make of it what you want!!!:D

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;291055 said:
The BPCA wickets are always green tops and the batters have no problems!:D:D

GCA div1 15823 runs scored @ 25.12 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.20 with 15 100's and 66 50's and 89 ducks (630 wks & 4946 overs)

Div2 12536 runs scored @ 16.13 runs per wicket with a run rate of 2.78 with 4 100's and 31 50's and 138 ducks (777 wks & 4507 overs)

Div3 11232 runs scored at 17.80 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.67 with 9 100's and 36 50's and 115 ducks (631 wks & 3057 overs)

In the BPCA there has been 13538 runs scored @ 22.27 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.41 with 9 100's and 57 50's and 83 ducks (608 wks & 3970 overs)

I don't really know what this proves but hey make of it what you want!!!:D
i think this proves ppl got 2 much time on their hands lol

Back