GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Re: GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

AB1;291044 said:
No mate, i wouldn't agree at all. I agree the weather would have played a major part in it being more underprepaired than usual, but i don't believe it was rolled at all, and if it was cut, it was earlier in the week. Still, i am led to believe that it happens more than it should, and can't blame you for it. This is also not sour grapes from me either Dragon's Lair, as you won the game the week before when the pitch was at it's best. You boys showed plenty to get 200 from 4-35, especially after struggling for the year, so you desrved it. The young guys played very impressively.

we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Good luck for the rest of the year!!

thommy_rissole;291030 said:
Should we move this discussion to preferred match format?! Ie: same wicket for both teams on the one day?

Wickets around Division 2 are well under prepared compared to those of Division 1. Under prepared wickets always favour the bowlers. The final total for batting teams will be indicative of this.

1st Innings runs scored for Round 6:

Division 1 - 2562 (6 200+ totals)
Division 2 - 1755 (2 200+ totals)

I think this just merely states the obvious difference in standard of Div 1 and 2 batting, nothing to do with the wickets

Dragon's Lair;291067 said:
I think this just merely states the obvious difference in standard of Div 1 and 2 batting, nothing to do with the wickets

Which of course is compensated by the bowling difference in the Divisions.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;291055 said:
GCA div1 (630 wks & 4946 overs)
Div2 (777 wks & 4507 overs)
Dragon's Lair;291067 said:

I suppose this is true because the bowlers are better in Division 2.

a for effort;291029 said:
They won the flag last year. You suggested that we look at the last 5 years, during which time St. Peters and Manifold have been the two consistently strong sides in the competition (for the period that they were in division 2)

OK, to answer all the critics; here is the go with St Peters:
St Peters are obviously in the same boat as say, an Alexander Thomson, Guild-St Marys, etc. ie. No suburb to call home or geographic area. We share an area very close to Bell Park, Mano & Geelong West; thus always going to be hard to recruit young players. Anyway, wind the clock back 5 years when the GCA had the two conference system in Div 1. 1sts & 2nds both made finals; 2nds finishing on top and 1sts making the semi. The next year the three McDonald brothers went to East Belmont and Marcus Stow decided to stay in Leopold (where he lives). A very harsh year with Anthony Ford also semi-retiring for 12mths and Rhys Burke heading to Geelong. Following this the club was relegated to Div 2. Currently competing in our third season back in Div 2; we have won four premierships (1sts, 2nds twice & 4ths). This season; six players are missing from our best 1st XI side; among them the retirements of key players Charlie Lamb, Adam Gaylard & Tony Calnon. Lose 6 from the 4ths; no problems, lose 6 from the 1sts and every grade suffers. We are doing the right thing and playing some of the kids in the 2nds and giving them exposure; unfortunately the results suffer. Through this however, the 1sts are in the top six, as are the 3rds and the 4ths, whilst the 2nds undergo a re-building year. Not a bad thing when you have won back-to-back flags. Also, we still suffer from not having an u/17s for a couple of seasons but the young crop coming through are not too bad. Long story short; the club is treading water whilst they re-build and thankfully across the grades, are still getting some good results. We have recruiited a coach from the UK who is acting as a Club Coach; ie. attends all senior & junior grades training as well conducting one-on-one sessions. St Peters are on the right track and doing everything I'm sure they need to do to get back amongst it.

Renny24;291237 said:
OK, to answer all the critics; here is the go with St Peters:
St Peters are obviously in the same boat as say, an Alexander Thomson, Guild-St Marys, etc. ie. No suburb to call home or geographic area. We share an area very close to Bell Park, Mano & Geelong West; thus always going to be hard to recruit young players. Anyway, wind the clock back 5 years when the GCA had the two conference system in Div 1. 1sts & 2nds both made finals; 2nds finishing on top and 1sts making the semi. The next year the three McDonald brothers went to East Belmont and Marcus Stow decided to stay in Leopold (where he lives). A very harsh year with Anthony Ford also semi-retiring for 12mths and Rhys Burke heading to Geelong. Following this the club was relegated to Div 2. Currently competing in our third season back in Div 2; we have won four premierships (1sts, 2nds twice & 4ths). This season; six players are missing from our best 1st XI side; among them the retirements of key players Charlie Lamb, Adam Gaylard & Tony Calnon. Lose 6 from the 4ths; no problems, lose 6 from the 1sts and every grade suffers. We are doing the right thing and playing some of the kids in the 2nds and giving them exposure; unfortunately the results suffer. Through this however, the 1sts are in the top six, as are the 3rds and the 4ths, whilst the 2nds undergo a re-building year. Not a bad thing when you have won back-to-back flags. Also, we still suffer from not having an u/17s for a couple of seasons but the young crop coming through are not too bad. Long story short; the club is treading water whilst they re-build and thankfully across the grades, are still getting some good results. We have recruiited a coach from the UK who is acting as a Club Coach; ie. attends all senior & junior grades training as well conducting one-on-one sessions. St Peters are on the right track and doing everything I'm sure they need to do to get back amongst it.

Hi guys. New to this all. Renny, just wondering if you could tell me about Matty Baker. I know his old man Pete and he said that he has been playing two and a bit of ones. Big kid? Only 16 or so?

thommy_rissole;291030 said:
Should we move this discussion to preferred match format?! Ie: same wicket for both teams on the one day?

Wickets around Division 2 are well under prepared compared to those of Division 1. Under prepared wickets always favour the bowlers. The final total for batting teams will be indicative of this.

1st Innings runs scored for Round 6:

Division 1 - 2562 (6 200+ totals)
Division 2 - 1755 (2 200+ totals)

I would suggest those figures have a lot to do with how the batsmen in each division go about their business. Too many blokes in our comp have little interest in digging in for 85 overs and hit the ball in the air. The wickets we've played on have been fine but the application has been lacking. Which turf squares are the main offenders?

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;291055 said:
The BPCA wickets are always green tops and the batters have no problems!:D:D

GCA div1 15823 runs scored @ 25.12 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.20 with 15 100's and 66 50's and 89 ducks (630 wks & 4946 overs)

Div2 12536 runs scored @ 16.13 runs per wicket with a run rate of 2.78 with 4 100's and 31 50's and 138 ducks (777 wks & 4507 overs)

Div3 11232 runs scored at 17.80 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.67 with 9 100's and 36 50's and 115 ducks (631 wks & 3057 overs)

In the BPCA there has been 13538 runs scored @ 22.27 runs per wicket with a run rate of 3.41 with 9 100's and 57 50's and 83 ducks (608 wks & 3970 overs)

I don't really know what this proves but hey make of it what you want!!!:D

proves three things warney, best cricket played in div 1, good BPCA sides better than most div 2, and you should take over from kevin odowd one day:D

Jaffa;291262 said:
Hi guys. New to this all. Renny, just wondering if you could tell me about Matty Baker. I know his old man Pete and he said that he has been playing two and a bit of ones. Big kid? Only 16 or so?

Not sure if he is 15 or 16; i think maybe 16. Has only been playing seniors for the past two seasons. Has made some good scores down on hard wicket; 80's, 70's, etc. Playing turf full-time now and has played two games in the 1sts; making 48 last game. Not the most talented kid going around but has fantastic application and discipline and hits the ball very well along the ground. A long-term player.

Waurn Ponds forever;291266 said:
I would suggest those figures have a lot to do with how the batsmen in each division go about their business. Too many blokes in our comp have little interest in digging in for 85 overs and hit the ball in the air. The wickets we've played on have been fine but the application has been lacking. Which turf squares are the main offenders?

I understand that but the wickets have a part to play also. The good batsmen hit the ball in the air in Division 1, sometimes with the long outfields its the only way to get the ball to the boundary.

There is no way that the best wickets in Division 2 (AT, Thomson, Manifold) are anywhere near as good as (East, South, Grovedale, Joeys, Lara). Of course the batting in Division 1 is going to be better than Division 2, same as the bowling but the wickets do play a factor.

In my opinion the main offenders in Div 2 would be Corio, Marshall, Waurn Ponds, Highton & St Peters.

I'd much prefer to bat on any wicket in Division 1 than AT, Thomson or Manifold's wicket (the best in Division 2).
NOTE: I understand that weather plays a factor in wicket preperations but this hypothetical is based on clear skies.

This is my opinion based on my experiences with these grounds having played on all of the above at least once.

Grassroots Cricket;280236 said:
hahaha o yeah, that game, that meant nothing, that is played on turf, with bpca clubs having no experience on it, seems fair, but yeah, i suppose if there going to lose one game, it best to do it in that, because they wont lose again....

I love this post by an arrogant Barwon Heads person earlier in the year:D It's a shame you've already been proved wrong:rolleyes:

Grassroots Cricket;280189 said:
So the people who like to start up the rumours about

Michell, Nunn and Schaller going back?

whys it a problem? will barwon heads become unbeatable? we all no st albans are weak as water when it comes to finals anyway!

Babies Arm;280201 said:
the only side i seen go to water already this year was barwon heads at 9/20 v grovey.:eek:

Grassroots Cricket;280236 said:
hahaha o yeah, that game, that meant nothing, that is played on turf, with bpca clubs having no experience on it, seems fair, but yeah, i suppose if there going to lose one game, it best to do it in that, because they wont lose again....

I love these posts by an arrogant Barwon Heads person earlier in the year:D It's a shame you've already been proved wrong:rolleyes:

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;293681 said:
I love these posts by an arrogant Barwon Heads person earlier in the year:D It's a shame you've already been proved wrong:rolleyes:

it would seem cheetahs2008 has been cleared to barwon heads.:p

8104lego.jpg

Hey To the pavillion you didn't tell the Queenscliff cricket club you built this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NORTH GEELONG vs NEWCOMB AND DISTRICT

Selected Sides-
NORTH GEELONG- S. Hall, A.Spierings, C.Millard, A.Armistead, A.Clark, S.Lymer, J.Hall, L.Szponar, D.Tielens, B.Scown, S.Kingwell

NEWCOMB- (not submitted, threw out the addy)

MATCH REVIEW- Both sides are really needing there second win for the year heading into the christmas break. North are coming off a very disappointing loss to Lara last round after losing the unlosable game. Newcomb will have their tales up after defeating Geelong City, ironnically the only team that North has defeated this season. It seems both sides have a relatively even bowling attack so it will come down to the batting in this match. Millard is in form for the Wags, as is Koliba for the Dinos, but it seems that only 3 or 4 of the Dino batsman have proven themselves at this level, therefore giving the edge to the Wags

PLAYERS TO WATCH
North- Shane Lymer has found a good array of form since moving down the order to number 6. Expect him to turn his 20s or 30s into big score if given the chance this round.

Newcomb- Damien Koliba is coming off a ton and will look to attack the lesser North bowlers. Word is the Legend Killer has him in his sights so it could be an intriguing battle.

TIP- North in a good old fashioned slugfest

ants14;296451 said:
NORTH GEELONG vs NEWCOMB AND DISTRICT

Selected Sides-
NORTH GEELONG- S. Hall, A.Spierings, C.Millard, A.Armistead, A.Clark, S.Lymer, J.Hall, L.Szponar, D.Tielens, B.Scown, S.Kingwell

NEWCOMB- (not submitted, threw out the addy)

MATCH REVIEW- Both sides are really needing there second win for the year heading into the christmas break. North are coming off a very disappointing loss to Lara last round after losing the unlosable game. Newcomb will have their tales up after defeating Geelong City, ironnically the only team that North has defeated this season. It seems both sides have a relatively even bowling attack so it will come down to the batting in this match. Millard is in form for the Wags, as is Koliba for the Dinos, but it seems that only 3 or 4 of the Dino batsman have proven themselves at this level, therefore giving the edge to the Wags

PLAYERS TO WATCH
North- Shane Lymer has found a good array of form since moving down the order to number 6. Expect him to turn his 20s or 30s into big score if given the chance this round.

Newcomb- Damien Koliba is coming off a ton and will look to attack the lesser North bowlers. Word is the Legend Killer has him in his sights so it could be an intriguing battle.

TIP- North in a good old fashioned slugfest
should be a good battle tomorro out at thomson.. get along and have a look at these 2 sides.. who we could say arent world beaters but are battling along

Thomson Vs Murgheboluc

The Frogs won the toss and elected to bat on a dry and hard Thomson wicket, if anything lacking a bit of grass. They were in a world of pain at 7-20 inside the first 10 overs. Some fine bowling from the returning Petterwood (4-20) and Riches (4-33) sent the Murghe top and middle order back to the pavillion all in the space of 45 minutes, the Tigers could not believe it. Petterwood picking up the key wickets of the Watson brothers whilst Riches took the scalp of Grozdanovski all a judged LBW by the officiating umpire. A dogged 84 run stand, which took the score from 7-20 to 7-104 between R Clayson (51) and D Lynch (31) nearly didn't eventuate after Petterwood bowled Clayson before he was on 5, only to be called for a front foot no-ball.

Clayson bought up a well compiled 50 with powerful drives off A Salta (0-30) being the highlight. Smiljanic's array of slower balls finally got the double-breakthrough the Tigers required and when Haberfield came out holding the bat like an axe the Thomson boys knew it would only be a matter of time until they cleaned up the innings, Murghe dismissed on the stroke of 36 overs for 120.

Thomson started cautiously against the new ball pair of Haberfield (0-15) and D Watson (0-26). Haberfield was bowling very well and was unlucky not to have Strods (35) caught behind early in the innings after the diving attempts from the keeper went to ground. Opener Strods said it was the best spell of bowling he has faced all season. A couple of strong appeals were turned down against the batsmen for LBW. Strods along with Bliss (27) spent some time at the crease and slowy but steadily got to 79 before the introduction of Grozdanovski (3-20) saw him dismiss Strods, Bliss and Tiger skipper Adrian Salta (8). Sean O'Neill (22*) and Stephen Dahlhaus (0*) steered the ship home for the Tigers. Youngster Alex Hickey picked up his first 1st XI wicket along the way, it being Ben Smiljanic (13) caught at extra cover.

Benny the Jett a notable absentee from the Frog's lineup.

Votes: 3. K Petterwood 2. D Riches 1. R Clayson

Back