GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

Re: GCA & BPCA match previews and reviews

jeez i did well with my players to watch this week didnt i. koliba 2nd ball duck and lymer made 5 (no wayne not 9) and got no wickets.

though i better get this thread back to tthe top of the pile.

Wallington v Anglesea (fat rats clacker cup)

Wallington play host to anglesea who will no doubt be all out for a win to stay in touch with the top six. its been a while for anglesea where as wallingotn have won 3 on the trot and will look to continue their streak in order to crack into the top six. should be a fairly evenly matched game, anglesea have some good bats for the wallaby bowlers to contend with jacobs and coles both making consisten scores this year. The wallington bowling line up has conceded 321 runs in its last 3 matches which is what will be needed once again if it is to contain the run making duo from anglesea. the wallingotn top order has looked good in most games so far without really cracking open a game whilst the middle and lower order have contributed enough to win. could go either way but im obviously tipping the wallabies to take home the big rat cup.

NORTH GEELONG vs LEOPOLD

North Geelong- A.Spierings, L.Szponar, S.Hall, C.Millard, A.Armistead, S.Lymer, D.McGlinchey, J.Hall, B.Scown, S.Kingwell

Leopold- R.Kiddle, M.Aston, N.Bissett, D.Armstrong, H.Stephenson, T.Marshall, D.Kiddle, L.Murray, M.Stow, R.Zanoni, G.Skrobolak, B.Howarth

Match Review- North will be looking to rediscover the form they started in the games leading into the christmas break againts leopold this week. Winning against Newcomb has given the wagpies a new sense of belief and the club will be looking to start 2009 off with a bang. Leopold after being a surprise packet last season have struggled like the wagpies to date but can produce the goods on there given day with the ability and experience that they have in their side.

Players to Watch- Al Spiering (North Geelong)- playing in his third first eleven game this weekend, wig way wal is always an interestig one to behold and will be worth watching whether it be him making runs or running lachy szponar out. both are a spectacle and a joy to watch.

Rod Kiddle (Leopold)- the veteran tonned up against the magpies last year before they became wagpies. after a good performance against the geelong cats in the match at skilled on sunday, kiddle will be raring and ready to go despite the legend killer vowing to dismiss him after not getting the chance at koliba last round.

TIP-North to win

ants14;307027 said:
NORTH GEELONG vs LEOPOLD

North Geelong- A.Spierings, L.Szponar, S.Hall, C.Millard, A.Armistead, S.Lymer, D.McGlinchey, J.Hall, B.Scown, S.Kingwell

Leopold- R.Kiddle, M.Aston, N.Bissett, D.Armstrong, H.Stephenson, T.Marshall, D.Kiddle, L.Murray, M.Stow, R.Zanoni, G.Skrobolak, B.Howarth

Match Review- North will be looking to rediscover the form they started in the games leading into the christmas break againts leopold this week. Winning against Newcomb has given the wagpies a new sense of belief and the club will be looking to start 2009 off with a bang. Leopold after being a surprise packet last season have struggled like the wagpies to date but can produce the goods on there given day with the ability and experience that they have in their side.

Players to Watch- Al Spiering (North Geelong)- playing in his third first eleven game this weekend, wig way wal is always an interestig one to behold and will be worth watching whether it be him making runs or running lachy szponar out. both are a spectacle and a joy to watch.

Rod Kiddle (Leopold)- the veteran tonned up against the magpies last year before they became wagpies. after a good performance against the geelong cats in the match at skilled on sunday, kiddle will be raring and ready to go despite the legend killer vowing to dismiss him after not getting the chance at koliba last round.

TIP-North to win
watttt

big al the player to watch... wat about that bloke coming in at 3... coming of a ton last innings.. and with leopolds strong attack.. would be good to see hall bakk up his last rounds efforts.... and wat about the bloke coming in at 5... hes got big shoes to fill.. no one in the gca can bat like alf clark... wat kinda display are u gunna put on for the small crowd at north on satday

I Bowl Meat Pies;307101 said:
watttt

big al the player to watch... wat about that bloke coming in at 3... coming of a ton last innings.. and with leopolds strong attack.. would be good to see hall bakk up his last rounds efforts.... and wat about the bloke coming in at 5... hes got big shoes to fill.. no one in the gca can bat like alf clark... wat kinda display are u gunna put on for the small crowd at north on satday

u want c any sort of display out of me cos there will be noone left at the club to celebrate with. as far as sa goes, remember i seem to jinx the player to watch lol

ants14;307142 said:
u want c any sort of display out of me cos there will be noone left at the club to celebrate with. as far as sa goes, remember i seem to jinx the player to watch lol
yerp satday nite will be a quiety at the club.. but dont worry most us boys will make up for it on sunday watching the magoos

I Bowl Meat Pies;307146 said:
yerp satday nite will be a quiety at the club.. but dont worry most us boys will make up for it on sunday watching the magoos

Heard Alfy not playing and a young Scown making his way back to the club?? Any truth to the rumour Ants???

Jurassic Park;307294 said:
Heard Alfy not playing and a young Scown making his way back to the club?? Any truth to the rumour Ants???
Yer Alfs has gone overseas with the family... bakk next week.... as for lindsay scown coming to north.. rumours are flying around everywhere... and i dont no which ones to believe but everyone seems pretty certain that hes coming next year..... but its way too early to say yet

certainly missed the fossil yesterday, i was doing fine holding up an end but the runs really werent flowing. after the start we got, we should have set at least 250... lindsay is an interesting topic. hes stopped playing at north melbourne. crook back trying to get it right for the footy season. next year is a possibility they certainly have been talking to him. i heard a club closer to melbourne has offered him a lot to coach there next year, a lot more than we will (stingy), which is our downfall because we dont pay anyone other than the coach or this year, the captain.

ants14;307557 said:
certainly missed the fossil yesterday, i was doing fine holding up an end but the runs really werent flowing. after the start we got, we should have set at least 250... lindsay is an interesting topic. hes stopped playing at north melbourne. crook back trying to get it right for the footy season. next year is a possibility they certainly have been talking to him. i heard a club closer to melbourne has offered him a lot to coach there next year, a lot more than we will (stingy), which is our downfall because we dont pay anyone other than the coach or this year, the captain.

its not your downfall ants, its the GCA downfall for allowing it to go on while they have a rule that says otherwise. only allowed to pay one player. clubs that follow the rules lose and thos that spend heaps win heaps.

wallington v anglesea review

Well the streak has ended, we batted first and got off to a flyer with 1/42 off 10, should have had a good total for once but again the batting then went very slow with wasted opportunities and silly shots, it pisses me off too much to detail but once again the top and middle order batted us out of the game. we need to learn to back ourselves instead of trying to survive. Poulter from anglesea pick of the bowlers, very tight and took 2/14 off his 8. Nolan got 4/18 when we had to slap runs in a hurry due to our dismal batting putting pressure on lower order. Anglesea batted well with robbo getting 44 and jacobs 40 not out and richardson 44. they passed us 3 down in the 36th. well done to those who got on at $2.20. :mad::mad:

NORTH GEELONG vs LEOPOLD

a pleasant afternoon in store foe those playing at Osborne Park on Saturday. the toss wasnt held, as rocket wanted to bowl and juddy wanted to bat so they left it at that and North batted first on a pretty good deck and outfield. a wicket fell early, lachy szponar caught on the crease in the third over to marshall, bringing sam hall to the crease to join spierings. the pair added 50 before spierings went and ran himself out, which we always knew was going to happen. millard came in and got in and got out. hall didnt hang around for much longer bringing lymer to the crease to join armistead. the two batted for a while without adding many runs, until lymer tried to slog one and was bowled. tielens got a stiff lb, and then armistead decided to break his bat when hitting it to the fielder. jack hall was soon run out and north was on the ropes at 8-146. brad scown and dom mcglinchey batted exceptionally well getting 8 an over to close the innings at 9-191, which could have been much more or much less dependent on certain stages of the game.
Hall 33, Armistead 33, Armstrong 3-25

disaster struck for leopold in the firts over losing big matt aston for 2, bringing young brandon howarth to the crease. kiddle smashed armistead out of the attack, whilst howarth played and missed for 26 overs making 5 runs. millard got rid of kiddle and lymer bowled brilliantly to take 4 middle order wickets. looking done and dusted at 7-98. bisset came in and absolutely tore the bowling apart with zanoni at the other end. zanoni was eventually dismissed by armistead but runs were flowing from both ends, and murray joined bissett to win the unwinnable game.
Bissett 40no Stephensen 20 Kiddle 34 Zanoni 32 Lymer 4-35

3Bissett 2Lymer 1Armstrong

all in all we had it, and then lost it. again.

ants14;307990 said:
then armistead decided to break his bat when hitting it to the fielder.

Your bat is about as thick as my torso, there goes another couple of trees making a new one :p

Rd9 Drysdale v St Albans/Breakwater​

The Game between 4th v 5th was played on a very substandard ground out at St Thomas's pot hole everywhere, lucky nobody broke an ankle but anyway...
Muzza won the toss and batted in the 40 over a side one dayer and we got off to a bit of a flier being 0-21 after 3 overs. Then things went pair shaped very quickly after Rob Cutajar was given out LBW after smashing it on to his pad playing a leg glance:( we went on to be 5-25 after 15 overs with some ordinary shots and some great bowling by Josh Inglis (4-29) who after his first spell of 6 overs had 4-8. Anyway with most of us in shock Nik Mallyon-Ciurak and Rory Fitzgerald began the rebuild and done a great job putting on 154 for the 6th wicket scoring almost 100 from the last 10 overs to put a decent score on the board, Mallyon-Ciurak finished unbeaten on 75 and Fitzgerald was ran out off the 2nd last ball for 68 to leave us with 6/180 from our 40 overs.

Drysdale wanting a good start struggled early slumping to 2-7 from 5 overs with J.Murray claiming both wickets, bowling with great pace the 2nd wicket he picked up was a very fast bouncer that Sharpe gloved onto his helmet and the ball popping up to gully. Troy Harding(24)and Adam Little(30) batted well to withstand Muzz for the next few overs and survived mainly to shocking umpiring. Little had a laugh with us at one stage saying he was 3-0:eek: But when Little was out LBW for a steady 30 and there leading run scorer Travis Brown went for a duck the game was all but over. Josh Inglis(41) and Luke Maher(20) tried hard to get back into the game with some big hitting but it ended in vain when Muzz come back on and grabbed the last 2 wickets to finish the game and a great spell from him with 4-18 from 7.1 Drysdale where all out for 148 in 38.1 overs. Other wicket takers where yours truly 3-29 from 8 and Sean Braniff 2-24 from 8.

And to finish off after the shocking umpiring all day, it was a shame to see the umpire smack his car into a fire hose connection ruining his front panel, safe to say there was no sympathy shown from anyone.:D

Votes 3-Nik Mallyon Ciurak 2-Rory Fitzgerald 1-Jason Murray. Somehow though I don't think that Muzz would of got in the umpires votes;)

And to finish off after the shocking umpiring all day, it was a shame to see the umpire smack his car into a fire hose connection ruining his front panel, safe to say there was no sympathy shown from anyone.:D

very funny

When's the new pitch ready at St Albans and is this the last season they will be in the BPCA?

tugga1;308103 said:
When's the new pitch ready at St Albans and is this the last season they will be in the BPCA?

The wicket is ready to go, but the ground is closed to March due to the laying of Santa ana drought proof grass. So it will be right for footy season.

We are looking to go in to the GCA next year, but thats up to the GCA committee and clubs. All I know is the ground and facilities will be one of the best in Geelong by Rd1 next season.

crktluva;307560 said:
wallington v anglesea review

Well the streak has ended, we batted first and got off to a flyer with 1/42 off 10, should have had a good total for once but again the batting then went very slow with wasted opportunities and silly shots, it pisses me off too much to detail but once again the top and middle order batted us out of the game. we need to learn to back ourselves instead of trying to survive. Poulter from anglesea pick of the bowlers, very tight and took 2/14 off his 8. Nolan got 4/18 when we had to slap runs in a hurry due to our dismal batting putting pressure on lower order. Anglesea batted well with robbo getting 44 and jacobs 40 not out and richardson 44. they passed us 3 down in the 36th. well done to those who got on at $2.20. :mad::mad:

hey crktluva you should ask to bat up the top this week:)

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;308143 said:
The wicket is ready to go, but the ground is closed to March due to the laying of Santa ana drought proof grass. So it will be right for footy season.

We are looking to go in to the GCA next year, but thats up to the GCA committee and clubs. All I know is the ground and facilities will be one of the best in Geelong by Rd1 next season.

I reckon you might be struggling to go straight to Division 2. Not that you don't deserve to, as you boys would be near the top with this years squad, but as there is already a bye in Division 3 they would have to drop 2 clubs, which seems unlikely.

a for effort;308281 said:
I reckon you might be struggling to go straight to Division 2. Not that you don't deserve to, as you boys would be near the top with this years squad, but as there is already a bye in Division 3 they would have to drop 2 clubs, which seems unlikely.

I agree and the main decision we will have if it comes to that is weather we stay in the BPCA for a further year as it is easily a better standard than division3.

I think our only hope to go into div2 is if the GCA scrap all the hard wicket clubs and go back to being all turf which has been whispered and the remaining hard wicket clubs crossing to the BPCA to make 2 divisions. Who knows though time will tell I guess.

Back