Matthew Hayden

Re: Matthew Hayden

namdarb;301480 said:
Another NSW centric view towards the AUSTRALIAN cricket team. Klinger is far and away the in form player. Why should Hughes be picked first? Because he plays for NSW?

Different people have different views. I think it's almost an even race between Klingwrap and Hughes.

namdarb;301480 said:
Another NSW centric view towards the AUSTRALIAN cricket team. Klinger is far and away the in form player. Why should Hughes be picked first? Because he plays for NSW?

err...duh of course that's why :p

I can't see Hughes getting picked because the Australian selectors are going to be looking at a proven performer for the ashes. If Hughes was to go to South Africa and show that he is not yet ready for test cricket, then Australia have only a couple of months to find a new opener.

If Jaques is fully fit I think he will get the job, though I would love to see Klinger get a game

namdarb;301480 said:

It's called "potential". Klinger has been playing better. If the SCG test was to win the series, yeah, play him. But Hughes has the sort of potential that selectors dream about. Throw him in for a test, a la Ponting or Clarke, and see if he performs. If he doesn't, he'll be much better for the experience, and somebody like Kilnger or Rogers or Voges or whoever can come in for the tour to South Africa. If he does, we may have our next star opener.

We've got nothing to lose playing some youth at the SCG.

namdarb;301480 said:

Klinger has had one decent season whilst his other seasons havent been anywhere near as strong.

Hughes is 20 and is the way forward. Youth must be the key to developing our side.

Im Western Australian btw. @|

Oh And Hayden gets another chance....

Hayden keeps his spot

Hayden keeps his spot - Cricket - Sportal Australia
Out-of-form opener Matthew Hayden has retained his place in the Australian squad for the third Test in Sydney.

I love this bloke, great cricketer and everything but he needs to go, no matter how much I hate myself for saying it, but the selectors don't have guts to drop him and this is all up to him, he needs to prove himself in the Sydney Test, go out there and have a crack at the ball, and not play any silly shots.

What I think should happen, drop Hayden RIGHT NOW, bring in Rogers for now, give him a couple of years if he performs (he has experience in England for the Ashes), then once Hughes has had some experience under his belt, bring him in. Personally I feel he is too inexperienced just at the moment, give him at least another season.

Oh, and I think Klinger is just enjoying batting on the Adelaide Oval, probably the only domestic pitch which plays as well as the international pitch.

it's an embaressing situation, worse then when taylor struggled through an ashes without scoring.

But taking the emotion out of it having hayden still opening is illogical to the extreme. First he is placing too much pressure on the middle order and his partner. Katich is forced to push for runs because his partner is struggling to get it off the square.

Secondly it's not like we don't have openers in form. Klinger is finally showing that talent we all knew he had, hughes is closing in on ponting at the same age and rogers is all class. Plus phil will be coming back from injury. We have ample replacements who would all take pressure off this batting line up.

He can't go to SA and needs to call it a day at the end of this test match.

All it has done is hurt our chances this test series and made us forget what an awesome batsman he was.

Edge;301166 said:
I rekckon they should drop Hayden and bing hughs in the see if he has what it takes.

if he makes some serious runs he should stay there i know he's young but he's in great form so he deserves to play plus jaques might be a bit outta form coming from injury.

And what if he dosen't have what it takes what if he dosen't score some serious runs ???

Oh I know the Australians just ruined their best chance of an opening batsman because they brought him in when he was too young and is now playing sydney first grade and never to be heard of again.

My point is his technique is still developing and although he is a good player I think he should be given another 3 or 4 years to keep developing it that way he will make a better fist of it on the international scene.

grapedo;303659 said:
And what if he dosen't have what it takes what if he dosen't score some serious runs ???

Oh I know the Australians just ruined their best chance of an opening batsman because they brought him in when he was too young and is now playing sydney first grade and never to be heard of again.

My point is his technique is still developing and although he is a good player I think he should be given another 3 or 4 years to keep developing it that way he will make a better fist of it on the international scene.

I don't know, if you're good you're old enough, simple as.

I don't think Hughes will be ruined if he's brought into the team, even if he has a bad trot. It's all too easy to hide behind the 'not quite ready' school of thought (I'm guilty of it as much as the next person) but some players need to that step up in order to improve.

How much will he learn from another 3-4 years playing state? People mature at different rates and it's important to tailor development to the individual not to the group. From what I've read/seen/heard about Hughes, I have a feeling that he will do well. Certainly, here is no harm in giving him a go.

I also get the feeling that he's not going to end up playing grade cricket unless he really falls from grace and that will more than likely down to other factors than his cricket ability.

mas cambios;303663 said:
I don't know, if you're good you're old enough, simple as.

I don't think Hughes will be ruined if he's brought into the team, even if he has a bad trot. It's all too easy to hide behind the 'not quite ready' school of thought (I'm guilty of it as much as the next person) but some players need to that step up in order to improve.

How much will he learn from another 3-4 years playing state? People mature at different rates and it's important to tailor development to the individual not to the group. From what I've read/seen/heard about Hughes, I have a feeling that he will do well. Certainly, here is no harm in giving him a go.

I also get the feeling that he's not going to end up playing grade cricket unless he really falls from grace and that will more than likely down to other factors than his cricket ability.

Well I don't see the logic in bringing a half ready twenty year old to open the batting in a test match when there are in form more experienced players ready to go.

grapedo;303665 said:
Well I don't see the logic in bringing a half ready twenty year old to open the batting in a test match when there are in form more experienced players ready to go.

We don't know that he is only half ready that is thing. He may just need finishing, which is something that test cricket will provide.

I don't think that there is anything wrong in calling him up to the squad for the series in S.Africa, whether he plays or not is another thing.

Back