Senior Seconds 09/10

Re: Senior Seconds 09/10

PS. Thanks for the kind word Dizz, now remember no angry stares if i play and miss or manage to knick you down to third man for a boundry or two...

As sure as the sun will set today, Dizz will be fired up tomoz. Love the passion he plays with. Thank fark he doesnt bowl smoke coz he would kill someone, thats fo sho!!!!

good to hear the covers were down and no rain at willy. it would have been a damn shame for us to make 300+ and you guys miss out on the chance. the way I see it is if you can chase our score down then you more than deserve the win, but were obviously not going to make it too easy for you ;)

the bowler in me felt shit last week every time I nicked one through the gaps because i know what it's like on the other end, but when you are a spud of a bat like myself you really have to take anything and everything you can get :)

Mozza;381956 said:
It's been very very quiet here............ :D

To chase down 300 or more is a great effort, on any ground/wicket. Congrats to you and the lads. Nice way to go into xmas, thats fo sho.. I see you love the cut/late cut/ squirt off off stump/middle/leg Mozz. Took me back to my indoor cricket days. And my ears still have not recovered from the beating they took when I sat next to you. But again, congrats on a great team effort. Nice to have a quick beer with you and the rest of the CY's group. Jika, you have done an awsome job with that wicket, from all reports from our boys. Good to see that you can not only put away your p_ss, but also know what you are doing with a table....

Onto after Xmas.... the 2 1 dayers always have a massive influence on the final make up of the teams in finals. I am hoping we can get better results in the new year. Cricket is a sh_t game to watch when you can have no bearing on the result!!! And worst of all, not being able to help your mates out... it really does stink. But I better get used to it for now. I think I would rather be forced to drink Fosters than have to watch and not play...

Hope Santa comes to all the good blokes and I look forward to seeing how the rest of the season pans out...

Too Old Body Broke;381963 said:
To chase down 300 or more is a great effort, on any ground/wicket. Congrats to you and the lads. Nice way to go into xmas, thats fo sho.. I see you love the cut/late cut/ squirt off off stump/middle/leg Mozz. Took me back to my indoor cricket days. And my ears still have not recovered from the beating they took when I sat next to you. But again, congrats on a great team effort. Nice to have a quick beer with you and the rest of the CY's group. Jika, you have done an awsome job with that wicket, from all reports from our boys. Good to see that you can not only put away your p_ss, but also know what you are doing with a table....
Onto after Xmas.... the 2 1 dayers always have a massive influence on the final make up of the teams in finals. I am hoping we can get better results in the new year. Cricket is a sh_t game to watch when you can have no bearing on the result!!! And worst of all, not being able to help your mates out... it really does stink. But I better get used to it for now. I think I would rather be forced to drink Fosters than have to watch and not play...

Hope Santa comes to all the good blokes and I look forward to seeing how the rest of the season pans out...

1. The Mozza "v". You should try bowling leggies at him in the nets!

2. Hose in one hand, Jimmy in the other.

3. Not quite the same, but I certainly enjoyed watching, with shorts on, all day on Saturday.

At the risk of upsetting some of my team mates who reckon this thread is way too friendly, merry xmas to all and good luck for 2010.

just logging in from NZ.. the steinlager pure's are flowing!!

cy's put in a great effort to make 400 and beat us. was good to play a game with and against a passionate bunch of blokes who like a chat, but without any agro or animosity. i was trully stuffed after chasing leather for 80, don't think i've ever felt so much empathy for rossy before :p can't wait till the second half of the season.

it's like mid 20's over here with a cool breeze and these kiwis are whinging about how hot it is... unbelievable! although their outfields kick ass compared to ours!

Well done to the Cy's for the efforts on Saturday. Hopefully the result is a blessing in disguise for us all down at Spotty, and that we come out with plenty of hunger and desire to win in the New Year.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

P.S Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

OK TOBB, do not fall into the trap of listening to all the guys here at CY's.... Didn't you see the straight drive into the bocce yards!!! didn't cut that one!!!

Very proud of my lads (even Jacko), it goes without saying the batting was brilliant, the support was passionate and the effort with the ball was a major factor....at one stage there it looked like Spotty was going to score 400 plus.

Now for the reality of it all, you guys were 3 bowlers down before you started. So we take the 12 points and move on but use the momentum in the one dayers after xmas (huge games).

Merry Xmas to all and hope Santa is good to ya :D

Welcome back hope everyone enjoyed the break. I certainly did!

Very, very important 2 rounds coming up. Looking at the ladder and previous results you I'd say there are still 9 of the 12 teams in the hunt for the finals and a loss for all bar APW and A North could be very costly.

Expect a huge effort from the Spotty boys, have a point to prove after last games smashing.

Well the first 1 dayer over and done with, a few interesting results.
Firstly, Youldon getting a win, congrats to YP. Not all down hill for you guys which is great to see.
CY'S .. obviously not enough against ANorth, who are travelling well atm. 165 at the Fearon is well short, based on what I saw the last game before Xmas.
St Bernards easy winners over Keilor. While Stb's are in the 4 atm, they do have a tough run home.
APW continue on their winning ways. Hard to see who will stop them?
YClub played out a thriller at Spotty. Got up on the last ball, congrats.
And RPB and McK finished with a tie!!!! Could be costly for either of these sides come the last round. Having siad that, both these sides are 3 points better off than the other 5 losing sides!!

Massive round tomorrow. Will def make or break a few sides.
StB v CY's.. I think Cy's in a tight game. It is a must win for Cy's, and for that reason only I think they will prevail.
YP V Keilor... Keilor, but would not surprise if YP got up after their win last week.
YC V OEG... YC are going well. Solid win last week so should get the choccies here.
McK v Spotty... We are looking to bounce back after 2 losses. Must win...
ANth v Sth C... ANth easy
APW V RPB... RPB are not without a chance here. Depends on who the ins are for them..

Good luck all..... especially Spotty.. go us

Too Old Body Broke;384448 said:
Massive round tomorrow. Will def make or break a few sides.
StB v CY's.. I think Cy's in a tight game. It is a must win for Cy's, and for that reason only I think they will prevail.
YP V Keilor... Keilor, but would not surprise if YP got up after their win last week.
YC V OEG... YC are going well. Solid win last week so should get the choccies here.
McK v Spotty... We are looking to bounce back after 2 losses. Must win...
ANth v Sth C... ANth easy
APW V RPB... RPB are not without a chance here. Depends on who the ins are for them..

Good luck all..... especially Spotty.. go us

Not too bad on the predictions TOBB. OEG the surprise, but not as big a surprise as their 1's. I see that you're back on the field and bowling. Obeying doctors orders?

With only 1 game separating 3rd to 7th it makes for some interesting games leading into the finals, starting with next round. Spotty v StB and YC v RPB shape up as the tightest on paper.

By the way, StB were still all sitting out on the middle of the park when I left 20 minutes after stumps. A bit of soul searching, or preparation for you guys, TOBB? Maybe they're just looking forward to playing away at Spotty, instead of that deck they have to play on every second game.

jacko66;384751 said:
Not too bad on the predictions TOBB. OEG the surprise, but not as big a surprise as their 1's. I see that you're back on the field and bowling. Obeying doctors orders?

With only 1 game separating 3rd to 7th it makes for some interesting games leading into the finals, starting with next round. Spotty v StB and YC v RPB shape up as the tightest on paper.

By the way, StB were still all sitting out on the middle of the park when I left 20 minutes after stumps. A bit of soul searching, or preparation for you guys, TOBB? Maybe they're just looking forward to playing away at Spotty, instead of that deck they have to play on every second game.

Gday Jacko,

Very surprised at the 2 OEG results. And doctors orders of another 4 weeks :rolleyes: we mere males know best......

You are correct, a very tight looking ladder. I guess it will make an interesting run to the finals.....

Deck no good out there? I heard some ordinary reports during the year about it as well. We did play a 20/20 out there prior to Xmas. To be fair it was just ok. They will love playing on our deck.

I can tell you one thing Jacko, we will be waiting for them this week. Tremendous effort by our guys keeping McK to 120 batting first. Was always going to be tight chasing on a wicket that was 2 paced and starting to go up and down. We played with a fair bit of intent and passion, which was great to see. We should get a couple back as well for this week.

Cy's look to have a good run home from here, may very well be the fav to grab a spot in the 4?

Facilities at StB are first class. The outfield is excellent, rooms great and, most important of all, the arvo tea is top notch. It's just that the whole pitch square looks like sh... The prepared pitch was skinny, the return creases were marked on the long stuff. One of their bowlers even pointed this out to me when I called a wide.

The track we played on had actually held together better than we thought it would, just played slow, a few kept low and ripped up the pink balls. I think it would have spun, but I wasn't required and they didn't bowl one. If I did bowl I was thinking I might come round the wicket and pitch it off the cut stuff. Moz and Walshey did a superb job bowling tightly and dialing the pressure up. I was only there for my athletic fielding.

Seriously, it is hard to see where they will prepare their next pitch on that deck.

On another note, what is the deal with some games in the 2's getting 2 umpires while others get none? Surely one umpire at each game should be the first priority. I think that we've only had an ump in 1 or 2 games this year which is not good for the comp, particularly when the association go on about "spirit of cricket". I got abused by one of my own team mates and the opposition on the weekend. Might say something about the decisions I suppose.

Jacko remember if your not getting abused by your own, your not loved. It is when your being ignored that you have to worry!!!

As for the deck, a ripper, first class, i gave it a 10!!!

No umpires at senior seconds is a major issue, can anyone please tell me why this is so. Why is there two umpires at North A games and none at ours? Is it because they are still learning and not good enough to umpire at Senior level. Is it because they think that North A and South A is a better standard of cricket than Senior Seconds!!!!????

Anyways if you were giving out points for "spirit of the game" our game against StB's was 10 for both sides. A very competitive game of cricket with a number of hot heads in both sides played without umpires in a professional way and without incedent. Umpires decisions were at times questioned and answered without any fuss. If matters got heated they were quickly distinguished by the captains and other senior players.

Maybe no umpires is a blessing in disguise???

i think they give 2 umpires or none in seconds coz the 2 includes one very junior trainee umpire not trusted on their own or with first XI games...

as for no umpire games, ive only recently been playing 2s and it seems to work better than having the really bad ones who just lose control of game and give shockers.... at least with no umpires everyone knows pretty much where they stand (no lbw unless dead plumb) and generally the spirit of cricket and respect is better because everyone is in same boat....

OnTheLookout;384825 said:
i think they give 2 umpires or none in seconds coz the 2 includes one very junior trainee umpire not trusted on their own or with first XI games...

as for no umpire games, ive only recently been playing 2s and it seems to work better than having the really bad ones who just lose control of game and give shockers.... at least with no umpires everyone knows pretty much where they stand (no lbw unless dead plumb) and generally the spirit of cricket and respect is better because everyone is in same boat....

Trainee umpires have to start somewhere. VTCA third div 2nds cricket too high?

bloody hell, it's not rocket science.... I can't understand why you'd need a buddy to umpire with if you have a level 1 umpires accreditation and 6 rocks in your pocket. it's park cricket and we understand that even umpires make mistakes every now and then.

I think we have had an umpire in 3 games to date. Not good imo. On Sat, we had 1 umpire. Did a reasonable job. A couple of questionable lbw's (1 for and 1 against). But I tell you what, we got 2 faint nick caught behinds given out (while we were bowling) that I think may have been given not out if there was no umpire. Obviously cannot say they would've been given not out if no umpire, but they were def out. I would rather have an umpire than not. Takes a fair bit of onus off players to not only have to give team mates out, but also allows players to support from the boundary. It is hard enough trying to rotate umpires and scorers, without having to worry about friction between sides if not outs are given.

On to this weeks games.
APW easily over SC
Can OEG'S cause an upset over ANTH... I don't think so.
Keilor over McK. This could close out the season for McK.
Tough game for Spotty this week. Hopefully having them play on a belter will throw them.
RPB vYC..... Well this will sort one of these sides out. Tough one to call but I have to go with YC. Last week may just be a one off... time will tell.
CY's v YP. Well CY's are coming with a bit of a rush atm. While YP have shown a bit of ticker since Xmas. CY's should account for them.

And if anyone from the VTCA reads this, please look at getting umpires to games that have an influence on finals. i.e Spotty v StB 4th v 3rd.

Back