South Division 2012/13

The rumour of Old Mentonians going was a joke by the Pres to someone and it was all the talk on the weekend before The Secretary put paid to that rumour.
The Comp needs more people from the South to put their hands up and help, otherwise the South will die. Personally i believe it should be spilt and a playoff at the end of the year.

Na not old mentonians I never heard that one so there is another club thinking of making the move. Time will tell

Not sure if Brighton are getting enough credit for their win here. Yep you can whinge about the GF format but it is what it is and both teams were on a level playing ground come the GF. Brighton hadnt ever beaten Port and could have been excused for falling over (6/136 at end of first weekend) but stuck to their guns. Credit to the club for some terrific recruiting and whats more they are a good bunch of local blokes.
Interesting to see the difference in the supporters numbers, barely saw more than 20 Port supporters but Brighton had big numbers and were noisy. Port arent a 'club' they are a bunch of blokes bought by their Pres to win a flag and they keep on getting exposed. Good batting team and i love watching Daykin bat but they didnt have the bowling when needed. How anyone could think that they could go to subbies is beyond me. No fan of Port obviously.

Good luck to Brighton playing with the big boys next season, really have been impressed by you blokes this year, tempted to switch clubs. An early tip for next year Parkdale to beat Port in next years GF and another million bucks wasted, its not who you pay its who you play for!

The rumour of Old Mentonians going was a joke by the Pres to someone and it was all the talk on the weekend before The Secretary put paid to that rumour.
The Comp needs more people from the South to put their hands up and help, otherwise the South will die. Personally i believe it should be spilt and a playoff at the end of the year.

Any chance of this happening? Is there anyone on here that supports the current format of Senior with South and North or is it just not working?

Cant split without any administrators - hopefully some representatives from the stronger South clubs - Bentleigh, Hampton, McKinnon, Beauy, South Caulfield, Old Mentonians...put their hands up to help the Exec.

Congratulations to Brighton District. At Christmas I wondered how well they would finish, given the number of matches against other top-six teams they had to play, and they came through brilliantly. It's their first trip to Senior Division. One of the predecessor clubs, Brighton East, made it to Senior A in 2000/01, but this is the first time in the top grade. I wish them well.

I'm very interested in this statement made earlier: "YT has been at our club for 12 seasons, not many pro's come back to the same club for over a decade. What a legacy he now leaves with that knock". The word "legacy" sounds as though Tillakaratne may not be at the club next year. If so, that's going to be a big hole to fill...

I look forward to watching Brighton District's progress next season in Senior, hopefully to the GF as the previous three (?) teams promoted from South have done.

Cant split without any administrators - hopefully some representatives from the stronger South clubs - Bentleigh, Hampton, McKinnon, Beauy, South Caulfield, Old Mentonians...put their hands up to help the Exec.
Dont need to "split" from the comp as such. I just reckon that we should get rid of senior division - the problem isnt at the top end, it is at the bottom end. There is now only one lower 1 day comp and one lower 2 days comps, and a sunday comp with only 5 south teams in it - we lose another club or two and there will be some very small grades, and clubs are going to have to play some teams in different comps, or pack it in completely!!
There are plenty of guys willing to help out - but I know a lot of them don't have the time to get on more committees. But they would be more than happy to offer advice/experience if asked

I was surprised that YT came back this year. The impression at the end of last season was that he wasn't going to but he did.

There seemed to be a heavy reliance on Bacon. How will BDCC go in the higher grade if they don't have him next season?

Not sure if Brighton are getting enough credit for their win here. Yep you can whinge about the GF format but it is what it is and both teams were on a level playing ground come the GF. Brighton hadnt ever beaten Port and could have been excused for falling over (6/136 at end of first weekend) but stuck to their guns. Credit to the club for some terrific recruiting and whats more they are a good bunch of local blokes.
Interesting to see the difference in the supporters numbers, barely saw more than 20 Port supporters but Brighton had big numbers and were noisy. Port arent a 'club' they are a bunch of blokes bought by their Pres to win a flag and they keep on getting exposed. Good batting team and i love watching Daykin bat but they didnt have the bowling when needed. How anyone could think that they could go to subbies is beyond me. No fan of Port obviously.

Good luck to Brighton playing with the big boys next season, really have been impressed by you blokes this year, tempted to switch clubs. An early tip for next year Parkdale to beat Port in next years GF and another million bucks wasted, its not who you pay its who you play for!
What makes a club? Just want to dispel the rumour mill. 9 of the 11 Port Melbourne players that played the Grand Final live in and around Port Melbourne apart from Cole and Boardman both from UK. Port Melbourne is a growing club from where it has been in the past. It is surprising because i'm sure there are a couple of clubs that spend more money on players than Port do. There is just a level of assumption that everyone gets paid, far from it. Port is run in a proper fashion and aims to have a proper balance that will give the club stability for many years to come! When the club was relegated from Subbies it could hardly make a 2XI now we have growing Milo numbers, increased membership from in and around the area and a competative 1st XI that plays in grand finals... Not many clubs have come this far in a short space of time.
I am one of those who played in the game against Brighton and a congratulate them 100%, we would not have done anything different if we one the toss, they executed on the Saturday brilliantly and gave only 1 chance later in the day after they had ground us down.We wish them all the best next year and hope to play against them soon in the Senior division!

What makes a club? Just want to dispel the rumour mill. 9 of the 11 Port Melbourne players that played the Grand Final live in and around Port Melbourne apart from Cole and Boardman both from UK. Port Melbourne is a growing club from where it has been in the past. It is surprising because i'm sure there are a couple of clubs that spend more money on players than Port do. There is just a level of assumption that everyone gets paid, far from it. Port is run in a proper fashion and aims to have a proper balance that will give the club stability for many years to come! When the club was relegated from Subbies it could hardly make a 2XI now we have growing Milo numbers, increased membership from in and around the area and a competative 1st XI that plays in grand finals... Not many clubs have come this far in a short space of time.
I am one of those who played in the game against Brighton and a congratulate them 100%, we would not have done anything different if we one the toss, they executed on the Saturday brilliantly and gave only 1 chance later in the day after they had ground us down.We wish them all the best next year and hope to play against them soon in the Senior division!

972930 Jack Boardman
Port Melbourne
Overseas - Catergory E (8 point)

976505 Jack Upton
Port Melbourne
974724 Shyam Sideer
Port Melbourne

1016599 Jasmeet Singh
Port Melbourne
980337 Sam Bhaumick
Port Melbourne Morwell

978686 Chris Pace
Port Melbourne
973829 Jason Moore
Port Melbourne

1017269 Andrew Fairman
Port Melbourne
1020949 Song Hoon Han
Port Melbourne

27204 Timothy Dale
Port Melbourne McKinnon
Clearance
142419 Joshua Dearing
Port Melbourne North Melbourne
Clearance

695888 Shehan Dharmasena
Port Melbourne Mt Waverley
Clearance
817898 Jonathan Dunlea
Port Melbourne Williamstown Imperials
Clearance

466420 Senthuran Elalingam
Port Melbourne Toowong
Clearance

256119 Dominic
McGaffrey Port Melbourne Taylors Lakes
Clearance

518112 Jared Painter
Port Melbourne Lane Cove
Clearance

562455 Chris Sewell
Clearance
999183 Bibek Shrestha
Port Melbourne
Overseas - Student Concession

1005444 Akash Singh Pariyar
Port Melbourne
All fantastic local clubmen I'm sure- just sayin...

972930 Jack Boardman
Port Melbourne

976505 Jack Upton
Port Melbourne
974724 Shyam Sideer
Port Melbourne

1016599 Jasmeet Singh
Port Melbourne
980337 Sam Bhaumick
Port Melbourne Morwell

978686 Chris Pace
Port Melbourne
973829 Jason Moore
Port Melbourne

1017269 Andrew Fairman
Port Melbourne
1020949 Song Hoon Han
Port Melbourne

27204 Timothy Dale
Port Melbourne McKinnon
Clearance
142419 Joshua Dearing
Port Melbourne North Melbourne
Clearance

695888 Shehan Dharmasena
Clearance
817898 Jonathan Dunlea
Port Melbourne Williamstown Imperials
Clearance

466420 Senthuran Elalingam
Port Melbourne Toowong
Clearance

256119 Dominic
McGaffrey Port Melbourne Taylors Lakes
Clearance

518112 Jared Painter
Port Melbourne Lane Cove
Clearance

562455 Chris Sewell
Clearance
999183 Bibek Shrestha
Port Melbourne

1005444 Akash Singh Pariyar
Port Melbourne
All fantastic local clubmen I'm sure- just sayin...

You either didn't read what was written or your IQ doesn't stretch past 5.
Please define local, because the majority of those are just that, full paid up members, who know live locally, also a the majority are fantastic club men!

Because of its location Port will attract players coming into Melbourne more than perhaps other clubs because of its proximity to the city.

What you have written is unsubstantiated, you can't make a statement about where players have come from and not know where they live now. You have far to much time on your hands, I only wrote this to identify that Port Melbourne are a lot more than what you perceive them to be, it is a club that is growing in other areas and if you check the immigration figures you will see that people are coming to Melbourne from all over the world in greater numbers everyday.

Must split. And get rid of the 2nds competition as well I reckon

hey rat what's wrong with the 2's comp? How would u set it up? It seems like the easiest way to fixture, reversing the 1's. I realy enjoy the grade, the grounds, the 1's guys down a grade for various reasons. Actually south 2 's has had soem of the best blokes I've played against, Parky, Beena, Moorabbin Park, McKinnon all were really nice guys & there was team this yr that were horrible.

hey rat what's wrong with the 2's comp? How would u set it up? It seems like the easiest way to fixture, reversing the 1's. I realy enjoy the grade, the grounds, the 1's guys down a grade for various reasons. Actually south 2 's has had soem of the best blokes I've played against, Parky, Beena, Moorabbin Park, McKinnon all were really nice guys & there was team this yr that were horrible.
Nothing really - but I'm only thinking of the depth at the lower end. Just play consecutive grades - you win South C, you go up to South B, and if that is against other club's first XIs, so be it. We saw this year, when Chelsea couldnt get a second side, McKinnon filled the spot - good luck to them. I agree with what you say about the quality of blokes you play agaisnt at that level, but sometimes the difference in ability is massive. Let teams find their level - the good ones will strive to get every team as high as they can anyway.

Last year our 2s side made the finals in South seconds, but gets relegated because our 1s finished last

And can we get rid of the confusing names for our grades. We have South, then south seconds, then South A, then south a2, then South c1, then South C3 which is a one day comp, then South d1. What happened to South b, and then South c2 - my head is spinning just thinking about it!!!!

I was surprised that YT came back this year. The impression at the end of last season was that he wasn't going to but he did.

There seemed to be a heavy reliance on Bacon. How will BDCC go in the higher grade if they don't have him next season?
speaking with a long term Brighton player at GF. Tells me that YT will see out his career with Brighton, been well looked after there and has a strong bond with the club. Bacon is as good as locked in, had a big year on and off the field , loves the club and wouldnt consider leaving , $'s are not a big issue with him so he is unlikely to be dragged away.
Won't stop us for having a crack at him though:)

Nothing really - but I'm only thinking of the depth at the lower end. Just play consecutive grades - you win South C, you go up to South B, and if that is against other club's first XIs, so be it. We saw this year, when Chelsea couldnt get a second side, McKinnon filled the spot - good luck to them. I agree with what you say about the quality of blokes you play agaisnt at that level, but sometimes the difference in ability is massive. Let teams find their level - the good ones will strive to get every team as high as they can anyway.

100% agree clubs teams should be able to find their own level and would create enough divisions to fit the bigger clubs lower elevens into because the way it stands some clubs will have to find another comp for at least one of their elevens if they wish to field 4 twoday teams... I would suggest divisions of 8 teams playing the 7 onedayers and 7 twodayers format..

100% agree clubs teams should be able to find their own level and would create enough divisions to fit the bigger clubs lower elevens into because the way it stands some clubs will have to find another comp for at least one of their elevens if they wish to field 4 twoday teams... I would suggest divisions of 8 teams playing the 7 onedayers and 7 twodayers format..
This was the situation when I played my first game in the then VJCA. Our firsts were in Senior Division, the seconds in South A playing other clubs 1sts elevens (which included South Caulfield, my first game in the 2nds as a 16yo). The next season, 67/68 the VJCA introduced Senior Seconds. I quite like the idea of Second XIs, but can see the arguments for dropping that (those) grade(s), and reverting to a system where each team in each club is promoted and relegated independent of their Firsts.

It's certainly worth exploring, considering the difficulties in the South at the moment. 8 team grades with 7 one-day and two days games might be a solution, depending on numbers, but not with the arrangement of two or three years ago when all the 2-day games were played first, and then the one-day matches, which meant that upon reaching semi-finals players had basically spent the last two months spending just 40 overs in the field, and then suddenly were confronted with the possibility of 80 overs, followed by having to bat the next day.

The fairest and most exciting fixture is to have 8 teams in every division who play each other twice. I think it would be great to have 16 South teams outside Senior Divison in 13/14.

In 10/11 South A had 7 two-day games then 7 one-day games. This was criticised for reasons explained above and because of the selection issues it caused lower divisions who played to a different fixture. In 12/13 South A did it again but Played the 7 one-dayers before the 7 two-dayers - I think this is more of an issue because a too greater percentage of games are played before Christmas, two-day games are played when more players are unavailable in early-January and entire fixtures are more likely to be washed out during the one-day games played in October.

Why not split them up so that we start the season with 4 two-dayers, play all 7 one-dayers in the middle and finish the season with 3 two-dayers as per usual? This has to be the best solution for 13/14.

The fairest and most exciting fixture is to have 8 teams in every division who play each other twice. I think it would be great to have 16 South teams outside Senior Divison in 13/14.

In 10/11 South A had 7 two-day games then 7 one-day games. This was criticised for reasons explained above and because of the selection issues it caused lower divisions who played to a different fixture. In 12/13 South A did it again but Played the 7 one-dayers before the 7 two-dayers - I think this is more of an issue because a too greater percentage of games are played before Christmas, two-day games are played when more players are unavailable in early-January and entire fixtures are more likely to be washed out during the one-day games played in October.

Why not split them up so that we start the season with 4 two-dayers, play all 7 one-dayers in the middle and finish the season with 3 two-dayers as per usual? This has to be the best solution for 13/14.
Some good points. Having played both versions, the one day games first was much better, mainly because the two day games were all rain affected and turned into one day games anyway. And then as you said playing one day games leading into finals. Not too fussed if they are split or not.
By my quick count, there are 58 two day teams from the south, plus 13 one day sides. How about 6 eight team comps - with the current 1st and 2nd XIs and maybe a couple more - and one 10 team comp. and then promotion and relegation throughout. Thoughts??

Back