Subbies 2011/12

B&G, take your point on board and don't begrudge the bloke a holiday, but surely someone else can do it? All the club's committes and administrators work as volunteers. If someone goes on a holiday and the scores aren't rung through or the scorecards put into MyCricket, we're smashed with fines!! Surely the association should practice what it preaches?

Well, there's the Caulfield/Melton game we're all looking for!

The idea has been around for a while and as you espouse it, has a great deal of merit. But it is reliant on Cricket Victoria getting it through to their Premier clubs. As we have seen over the years, their clubs are not actually "hot houses", where good ideas germinate. Could you imagine St Kilda's delight at being told that they now have Ormond as their "feeder club." And, alternatively, a strong,well run club like Altona, copping North Melbourne?

I believe we should be pro active in our own competition and, if, the proposal you are advocating comes to fruition, I have no doubt that our own exectutive could deal with it competently.

With the 2 tier competition we have been discussing in Subbies, I think the "Kenny Fewster" tables should be the criteria for establishing the 2 divisions. I am inclined to agree with SS, "Foundation Member" is something you get to put on your website and stationery, it should "cut no "ice" in any selection process. I would argue that a maximum of 4 years should be the "cut off" period. Anything more and you start relying on outdated data, because of the changes in personel at most clubs.

It has been a good discussion boys, and it shows the quality of people and ideas floating around our clubs.

Keep it coming.
Funny you say that S&W at the time this was first proposed St Kilda was it's strongest advocate, but they wanted Brighton as their feeder club.

Some quality discussions on here of late and some great idea's floated but unfortunately as P-Toe said they won't happen. Also I think the competition in its entirety isn't in horrible knick. Yes sides like Endeavour Hills, Ormond and Sunshine have been really struggling but results like all out for 22 only really happen once a season at most. I think you'll find that our competition has the same if not fewer blow outs than premier cricket or the VTCA.

Why change the current process. The local derbies are great. It is also good to have tough and slightly easier games. Ormond may be down but I have played in losing games to them plenty of times and every game is a challenge.Both side rise for the occasion. Likewise we know the players at the other local clubs and it makes the game more enjoyable. The south group has developed established rivalries as I am sure the other groups have. Would be disappointing to see local derbies vanish.

You make a good point brightboy. With such players as Gilchrist, Hawkins, Iles and Fanning transferring to us in the past, we always seem to get up for Brighton.

You make a good point brightboy. With such players as Gilchrist, Hawkins, Iles and Fanning transferring to us in the past, we always seem to get up for Brighton.
That's why this has been such a good discussion, Plenty of diversity of views. I believe the concept of "local derbys" in our comp. is slightly overated. The biggest "local deby" is Malvern v Caulfield and that would remain under a 2 tier comp as would most of the others.

I would have thought the idea of ANY competition is having the best teams play each other on a regular basis. What would be the "dream clash"this year? Undoubtably Caulfied v Melton, but with the abolition of the Championship game, what are we left with? a T20 final with "rings ins" (sorry, guest players) 3 players under 21 and both Harwood & Jones unavailable for the Lions. Hardly a showpiece for our competition.

If we concede Melton is the stand out team over the last 4 years, what have been the epic clashes for them? The two T20 finals and Championship against Oakleigh, their grand final loss to Malvern and this years "match of the season against a "loaded up Kew.

All sides they play once every 3 years. Surely that in itself is a compelling reason as to why a change of structure is required.

Can anybody give a true indication why they cancelled the Championship game? To get rid of something that had gone on for over 100 years seems ludicrous. Is there any other competition that has an ultimate match like this? And just how long before they realise what they did and reinstate it?

Not sure if the weather's going to be such a huge factor,hopefully only nuisance value.
Subbies,championship final has only been played since the mid 60s,it was the clubs who voted it out unfortunately.
It was my highlight of the year so I'm with you.

Not sure if the weather's going to be such a huge factor,hopefully only nuisance value.
Subbies,championship final has only been played since the mid 60s,it was the clubs who voted it out unfortunately.

mine too 00/01....06/07....

Two problems I see: 1/ Nobody wanted to host it and; 2/ Some horrible games in recent years.

Two problems I see: 1/ Nobody wanted to host it and; 2/ Some horrible games in recent years.
There were also some terrrific games and some great performances. Ask anyone who played in them what their thoughts are and I guarantee they will be overwhelming positive. I played in one as a teenager and I still feel proud of my team mates.

For the winners it is the culmination of a great season and for the runners up it is a reminder for the next year.

P.S, to Weapo, waddling out with the drinks and a change of batting gloves in NO way qualifies you to "claim" 2 Championship victories. Stick to the one you PLAYED in and be proud of what you achieved.

There were also some terrrific games and some great performances. Ask anyone who played in them what their thoughts are and I guarantee they will be overwhelming positive. I played in one as a teenager and I still feel proud of my team mates.

For the winners it is the culmination of a great season and for the runners up it is a reminder for the next year.

P.S, to Weapo, waddling out with the drinks and a change of batting gloves in NO way qualifies you to "claim" 2 Championship victories. Stick to the one you PLAYED in and be proud of what you achieved.
Fair enough, but point 1 is the biggest hurdle.

I don't think hosting it was an issue, I'm sure there were plenty of clubs who would love the cash injection. The biggest issue from our club's point of view is that it is not the culmination of the season, the group final is.

We play 13 other teams and if we beat them all we deserve to be crowned premiers. No team has ever trained on the Tuesday following the group final leading into the Championship match - and it risks tarnishing the season of the team who is least prepared on the final day.

In theory it is nice, but outdated and a final six was voted in by all but three clubs at the vote. The T20 competition has unintentionally replaced the championship final by pitting all 28 clubs against each other. For that I am happy.

It would have been a great honour to have won one of the two we were involved with in the past ten years, but alas it was not to be, this does not take anything away from what we consider the ultimate prize.

We play 13 other teams and if we beat them all we deserve to be crowned premiers.
It would have been a great honour to have won one of the two we were involved with in the past ten years, but alas it was not to be, this does not take anything away from what we consider the ultimate prize.

Notice how its the clubs that never win them that want to do away with the championship game. If we'd won one real final and one declared final out of five group wins we'd want to get rid of the game too. Teams that actually win Championship games every now and then want it to continue. Teams that lose Championship games say that game is not "the ultimate prize".
Yeah sure, ask Caulfield ,Ormond and Preston what they think! I'll bet I can guess who the three votes were from!

I don't think hosting it was an issue, I'm sure there were plenty of clubs who would love the cash injection. The biggest issue from our club's point of view is that it is not the culmination of the season, the group final is.

We play 13 other teams and if we beat them all we deserve to be crowned premiers. No team has ever trained on the Tuesday following the group final leading into the Championship match - and it risks tarnishing the season of the team who is least prepared on the final day.

In theory it is nice, but outdated and a final six was voted in by all but three clubs at the vote. The T20 competition has unintentionally replaced the championship final by pitting all 28 clubs against each other. For that I am happy.

Not sure there's too much (any) cash in hosting. I can tell tou doing a Hatch Final, it was for the publicity, not the financial reward.

Personally, I think the Championship is a good idea, however, I think its gone!

wink!!!

a couple interesting games in the south east with teams vying for finals

mount v oakleigh- mount need to win but oakleigh are clearly second best team, oaks will get up
kingston v elsternwick- elsternwicks batting to be too strong, although kingston will fight hard to get into 6
caulfield v ormond- caulfield to possibly pick up a outright at home
noble park v croydon- noble are better team then where they are but croydon to keep finals alive
endevour v bayswater- bayswater should make plenty of runs and win
malvern v box hill- match of the round, this is a mini final and malvern will get up at home
brighton v moorabbin- brighton to set up huge match next round with malvern

going to be very interesting last 2 rounds..

North West Group preview -
Kew v Plenty Valley - should be a good game, both strong teams and both have been slightly off recently. Last weeks batting performance will be a concern for PV, especially because it appears to be their strength with Bennett, Ayres and Ingram all amongst the runs. Kew seem to be a strong bowling outfit however with Gill and Waterman amongst the leading wickettakers. Almost 50/50, I think Kew at home.

Werribee v Willie - the Tigers will be pushing hard for the six, however as I have said before their wicket at Chirnside Park is an absolute, unquestionable disgrace, a shocking wicket, Sheedy the prize wicket (as he is every week). Werribee.

Sunshine vs Melton - Melton hands down.

Brunswick v Preston - Brunswick have the edge with their bowling, two day cricket suits their batting, Preston on struggle street this year. Brunswick

Coburg v Balwyn - Coburg, an absolute enigma this season. Ripped PV apart last weekend to claw themselves back it contention, Balwyn have been fairly consistant all year. I think Balwyn should win, however if the Coburg bowlers fire up (no longer just Mick, A Shellie leading wicket taker) the could get on a roll. Balwyn

Braody v Ivanhoe - 12 point game here with both teams pushing to make finals, Broady's PNG boys have worked a treat, however, if their bowlers who carried on like clowns against Willie aren't back they'll have to chase a truck load. Ivanhoe

Altona v Yarraville - Altona are a very solid unit, no worries here will get the job done.

a couple interesting games in the south east with teams vying for finals

mount v oakleigh- mount need to win but oakleigh are clearly second best team, oaks will get up
kingston v elsternwick- elsternwicks batting to be too strong, although kingston will fight hard to get into 6
caulfield v ormond- caulfield to possibly pick up a outright at home
noble park v croydon- noble are better team then where they are but croydon to keep finals alive
endevour v bayswater- bayswater should make plenty of runs and win
malvern v box hill- match of the round, this is a mini final and malvern will get up at home
brighton v moorabbin- brighton to set up huge match next round with malvern

going to be very interesting last 2 rounds..

agree with the interesting round comment. Maybe not your selections.
Oaks to win easy. Bowling the house down at the moment.
E'Wick need to win this one, having to play Caulfield in last round. Kingston lose their 2 PNG after this game so must win as well. Going with Kingston at home in upset.
Caulfield - is Cross still playing though?
Croydon can still make it and run home is not difficult but not going well. Noble Park to win.
Bayswater will win another one. Winning the games against the middle/lower ladder teams.
Box Hill maybe. See Goldsmith played for them on Sunday. Recent Hatch medallist. If they have him, makes them even more dangerous.
Brighton should win but think they have some injuries. Will need to be on their game.

Back