Subbies 2011/12

Fair enough S&W,time will tell I suppose
Bit of a shame we wont see Melton or Kew take on Caulfield this year,they'd certainly be worth watching!
Has everyone caught up with Kew 2s v Sunshine?,never seen 500 in a day,anyone there to elaborate?

massive score pb......i was told from a mate who plays there(s'shine) the kew ground was tiny.......from what i recall its a decent size ground.....
2 tons 3 fiddys in a row.......long day.....

Oakleigh easily
Elsternwick 2 day team. Should win at home
Brighton more to play for but Hansen big threat
Malvern slow start but class side
Endeavour Hills if in the mood and Evans fires
Caulfield cannot see them losing till finals
Kingston binners depend on too few whereas sainters have added depth.

Oakleigh to push for outright
Still think Elsternwick can get the runs
May be 30 to many for Brighton - Changing tip.
Another very close. Will depend on Perera and Nethersole. No Chard and Bhatt makes it interesting.
Not enough runs. Still toss of the coin but feel NP may just get up.
Caulfield will push for outright
I was wrong .Binners easily

making selections halfway through a game much easier:-
only chance of Bayswater avoiding outright is if Oakleigh convene Christmas early
too many runs for Elsternwick against the Box Hill attack
Brighton easy. Ormond wont be able to defend that.
Croydon to win with Whittock to get them home
Noble Park will win
Caulfield v mt wav - call it off at arvo tea and have a beer
Moorabbin

making selections halfway through a game much easier:-
only chance of Bayswater avoiding outright is if Oakleigh convene Christmas early
too many runs for Elsternwick against the Box Hill attack
Brighton easy. Ormond wont be able to defend that.
Croydon to win with Whittock to get them home
Noble Park will win
Caulfield v mt wav - call it off at arvo tea and have a beer
Moorabbin
Well done 7/7 !

Although we've had some rain, on the whole a much better start to the year than last season.
In the South East Group Caulfield are clearly the team to beat; they have effectively added Cross, Damiano, Bartlett and Warren to what was already a very strong team. Oakleigh's outright victory last weekend puts them in a strong position, and Brighton, Croydon and Box Hill are all in the race to make the finals.
Elsternwick and Malvern would be disappointed with their starts to the season, and both teams seem to be lacking some depth, particularly with the bat.
Players of the season so far would be Jesse Seven from Brighton who has scored 368 runs, Peter Cross who has made 280 in one less hit, Ben Pinwill with 19 wickets and the Noble Park combo of Perera and Mawzoon.

Another close season though, won't be many points separating 4-8th. T20 round after XMas; its a joke that its worth 6 points, VSDCA need to fix that up.

Have just been informed that first game back after christmas is a 20/20 for points!!! as someone who watches over all things "Subbies" I find this a bit ridiculous, Isn't there already an actual 20/20 comp. Not sure how you can get points which counts towards the end prize of the year but is actually only 25 % of a normal match. I understand one day matches as they are needed (at times with rain) and have been around now for 30+ years but 20/20 for points.................Please!!!

Those in charge, sort it out.

The Snuff!

Oh and another thing.....a few of you on here speak a bit of dros from what i have just read going over previous pages....its time for that to be pointed out. You've been warned!

Oh and another thing.....a few of you on here speak a bit of dros from what i have just read going over previous pages....its time for that to be pointed out. You've been warned!
You must be an 'avid' subbies watcher...........20/20 for points came in last year!

I look forward to some interesting and more importantly, up to date content from you Snuff!

Have just been informed that first game back after christmas is a 20/20 for points!!! as someone who watches over all things "Subbies" I find this a bit ridiculous, Isn't there already an actual 20/20 comp. Not sure how you can get points which counts towards the end prize of the year but is actually only 25 % of a normal match. I understand one day matches as they are needed (at times with rain) and have been around now for 30+ years but 20/20 for points.................Please!!!

Those in charge, sort it out.

The Snuff!

Its a bit of a joke in my opinion, particularly now that we have a separate T20 midweek comp where we play 4 games. The only advantage would be for ordinary teams who get to play a top team. Anything can happen in a T20 and a team can win on the back of a great performance from only one player. A team like Ormond could see a T20 as their best chance for a win, particularly if Hansen got going.

Its a bit of a joke in my opinion, particularly now that we have a separate T20 midweek comp where we play 4 games.

Have just been informed that first game back after christmas is a 20/20 for points!!!

The biggest reason it has come in as a points round is to give some T20 exposure to the lower grades. There is obviously a lot of media exposure and hype about this form over the last couple of years, and the executive want to make sure all subbies players are getting a chance to play this style.
A secondary consideration was to make it a bit of a carnival atmosphere, which works really well with the 4s playing before the seconds and threes before the 1st's.

Then there is a final thought that first game after Christmas and some clubs struggle to get numbers and that the shorter form is a little easier to attract players back for.

It's not perfect, and I imagine there will be complaints still, but if you have genuine issues let your club delegates know and these will be discussed at the executive.

The biggest reason it has come in as a points round is to give some T20 exposure to the lower grades. There is obviously a lot of media exposure and hype about this form over the last couple of years, and the executive want to make sure all subbies players are getting a chance to play this style.
A secondary consideration was to make it a bit of a carnival atmosphere, which works really well with the 4s playing before the seconds and threes before the 1st's.

Then there is a final thought that first game after Christmas and some clubs struggle to get numbers and that the shorter form is a little easier to attract players back for.

It's not perfect, and I imagine there will be complaints still, but if you have genuine issues let your club delegates know and these will be discussed at the executive.

They are all fair considerations, yet my primary concern is that the matches are worth 6 points, the same as 160 overs of cricket played over 2 weekends. With the finals expanding to a top 6, more than ever the final few spots in the finals can be determined by a couple of points, and a very small percentage. It would be horrible to look back on the season and see that 6 points lost in a T20 game could be responsible for missing the finals.
I understand that the VSDCA closely follows the lead set by premier cricket, however I believe they have a separate T20 comp, that doesn't contribute to overall standings?

All good points B & G. Personally, I don't like it (40 year old medium pacers are canon fodder in this game!), however, it is the 'way of the world' and a good opportunity to have a function.

You must be an 'avid' subbies watcher...........20/20 for points came in last year!

I look forward to some interesting and more importantly, up to date content from you Snuff!
My apologies....with all the rain last year and so many games affected 20/20 for points slipped my mind (still dont think it has creadability)

7 wins from 20 matches this year for the Saints as a club.....35% win ratio. Could have left it to just the first team who have 33% but thought id let you have the whole club in to give you an extra 2%......Im pretty sure thats up to date Super Saint?

I un

I understand the exposure aspect but really the 3/4's are made up of kids who will play 20/20 as they get older and progress or aging older guys who really arnt what 20/20 is about (Fast paced game etc). I dont know what the exact answer is but i think 20/20 during the week when played for something is fine but not sure it should be worth 6 pts the same as a 160 over match.

My apologies....with all the rain last year and so many games affected 20/20 for points slipped my mind (still dont think it has creadability)

7 wins from 20 matches this year for the Saints as a club.....35% win ratio. Could have left it to just the first team who have 33% but thought id let you have the whole club in to give you an extra 2%......Im pretty sure thats up to date Super Saint?
Thanks for that Snuff.........the mathematics were a nice touch, however, we know where we are at and will continue to try to rectify our performance. Sorry, didn't get which club you are involed with??

Thanks for that Snuff.........the mathematics were a nice touch, however, we know where we are at and will continue to try to rectify our performance. Sorry, didn't get which club you are involed with??

he's with the knob jockeys......

ps.....the dots have copyright.....

I too have the same reservations about the T20 game after xmas being played for normal championship points. I can understand what the executive are trying to achieve but as others have said it is a little concerning that a T20 game has as much pull come the end of the year as any 2 day match that is played.

My thoughts on the North West group so far this season are:
  • As per the ladder, the best 3 teams are Kew, Melton and Plenty Valley
  • Kew have not yet been tested, have a tough run home with Melton, PV and Balwyn to come.
  • Plenty Valley have beaten Melton but lost to Ivanhoe, have already played every team in the bottom 4.
  • Melton have beaten Altona and Balwyn and not much else of note. Play Kew in round 10, then a good run home.
  • At this stage I have them Melton, Kew, PV, anything could happen in the finals.
What are peoples thoughts on the season so far? SE group thoughts?

Back