Subbies 2011/12

Prediction for North West group this round:
  • Broadmeadows vs Plenty Valley - after dropping the last 2 PV will be keen arrest the slide and keep in touch with the leading teams. Broady are pushing for the 6 but will not have the fire power.
  • Coburg vs Williamstown - both teams look to be struggling and both seem to rely heavily on the respective captains (sheedy and lewis). I think Coburg just, at home.
  • Kew vs Melton - set to be a cracker, Kews first real test. Teams are very evenly matched, good batting in the top 7, solid bowling outfits as well. If Harwood exposes the middle order early I think Kew could be in trouble, if they dig in they could be away. I think Melton has a slightly stronger side and I think they will get over the line not by much, if these two teams meet later on in the year anything could happen.
  • Werribee vs Preston - Chirnside Park is a stinker of a wicket, brings the 2 teams closer together, however Preston appear weak this year, Werribee have it all to play for pushing for the 6.
  • Sunshine vs Brunswick - Sunshine are a rabble, McKay and his boys will do the job, Grenville the only risk.
  • Altona vs Balwyn - Balwyn were poor last week, they'd be keen to bounce back. I don't think they have the cavalry to beat a strong club Altona at home.
  • Yarraville vs Ivanhoe - Ivanhoe batsmen should get the job done against the lack lustre Yarraville. Ivanhoe and suprised many climbing up the ladder, should continue it this week.

• Plenty Valley looking the goods with 220 odd on the board on a big slow ground and their bowling attack will get it done.
  • Coburg Willie is tightly poised, with Sheedy being dismissed last week I think Coburg on top just.
  • Melton made plenty on what seems to be a great place for batting. They certainly have the edge with Harwood, one or two early ones and that'll be enough.
  • Without doubt the worst pitch in the comp. Surely Werribee can scrap together another 70 odd runs against a weak aging team.
  • Brunswick in control, 270 against some of the better teams would have them in control, will be looking to skittle Sunshine.
  • Another one in the balance, with both teams pushing for the top half of the 6 they will both be desperate to win. It seems not a lot of runs have been made out at Altona, gonna back Balwyn though, even after they're poor display last week.
  • The much improved Ivanhoe are on struggle street with only 165 at the tiny Yarraville ground. Could see them fall out of the 6.

Interesting scores in SE group. Minor hiccups from the top 2 teams would lift the spirits of the other finals contenders. To tip 7 from 7 again halfway thru a game:-
Malvern to get the 80 runs left with a few wickets in hand to open up the fight for 2nd
Elsternwick easy - though not sure I see them as the only chance to topple Caulfield. who have they beaten to date?
Mt Wav - too few runs for Ormond to defend. Mt Wav continue to perform consistently w/o Bartlett. Interesting!
Kingston - Croydon struggling big time - not sure what has happened to the blokes making runs before Xmas. Didnt they fall away at the same time last year?
Will say Caulfield with NP lineup missing Edmonds. 190 might be a stretch on a hot day for them.
Going to go with Bayswater. Got no idea why.
Box Hill - Dunlop, the new skipper down at Box Hill, continues to make scores. Who is he? Too many for Moorabbin.

Malvern should cruise to victory
Still a big Elsternwick fan
Mt Waverley cementing a finals spot
Kingston should hold on
Does a good team need to lose one. I do not think it will be this one - Caulfield
Brighton will be low and slow. Bayswater will struggle.
Box Hill

Malvern should cruise to victory
Still a big Elsternwick fan
Mt Waverley cementing a finals spot
Kingston should hold on
Does a good team need to lose one. I do not think it will be this one - Caulfield
Brighton will be low and slow. Bayswater will struggle.
Box Hill

Well some interesting results kept the comp wide open.
Mt waverly losing opens up positions 3-6.
Interesting to see who sneaks into 6th.
Box hill smashed moorabin by the looks.
Croydon had a bad loss but sit 6th.
Elsternwick won comfortably so I think it's out of them and mt for 4th spot.
Will croydon finish 6th or can someone snatch it?

Malvern let go of a golden opportunity to send a few shivers down the collective spines of the Group leaders when they squandered the chance on the weekend. I think we can say now that they are officially "gone."

However, what about the match of the season in the West Group? In what was supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the Grand Final, Kew had their "arses handed to them" by Melton in a 184 run flogging on their home ground. Harwood with 5/29 to go with the 4/9 last week, apparently had a few of the top order "jumpy" despite the 35o heat and a dead track. Ya gotta hand it to PB, our resident expert on all things West. He has "liked" the Lions all year and hasn't wavered in his support. I stilll think Kew can recover. They have had a "soft" draw and may have got ahead of themselves, but I think a reality check may have hit home about 4.30pm last Saturday. It will be interesting to watch the next few weeks.

Interesting results in the North West. Looking forward over the last three rounds -
Melton should win all 3 - 66 points
Kew should win at least 2 - 60 points
Plenty Valley should win 2 - 54 points
Altona could win all 3 - 54 points
Balwyn could win 2 - 48 points
Ivanhoe could win 2 - 45 points
Werribee should only win 1 - 30 points
Coburg could win 2 - 36 points
Broadmeadows could win all 3 - 42 points
Brunswick should win 2 - 36 points
So if everything went as per their best results it would be out of Melton, Kew, Plenty Valley, Altona, Balwyn, Ivanhoe or Broadmeadows as to who could make up the final 6.
But as we all know cricket very rarely goes according to plan. Anybody else want to have a go at picking the make up of the final six? Or the South East?

I don't think it's too bad, you just get a few dills out in the system. Hutchinson was a dill at Keilor. A source stated that he was abusing his own players on Saturday against Plenty Valley. Would have thought that was far from ideal!

To both Weapons and SuperSaint, first and foremost, allow me to introduce myself as I feel no need to hide behind an alias. My name is Ben Wood and I am and have been the President of the Broadmeadows Cricket Club for the past 8 Seasons. Furthermore, I have been associated with our proud and tradition steeped Association for in excess of 20 years.

I am and had always been loathed to post or respond to public forum banter, however, your respective recent comments (no matter how veiled) directed towards the Broadmeadows Cricket Club and/or the 1st XI Captain, Jody Hutchinson, have riled me to an extent that I feel a response is necessary.

Social media outlets and public forum outlets such as Big Cricket are a medium in which I believe in as it allows all to further promote our game, our Association and our respective club brands. General banter is often no more than dross or hyperbole but is good natured in its intent. Unfortunately, recent comments pertaining to my club and our 1st XI Captain or unwarranted, misinformed, uneducated and scurrilous.

Not only is Jody the 1st XI Captain of the Broadmeadows Cricket Club he is and has been a close personal friend of mine for over a decade. I do not feel it necessary to talk to Jody's on-field achievements in a distinguished career that he has had to date but, rather, his character. Jody is a passionate individual who has returned to play for a club where he progressed from Hatch and bottom XI ranks to a 1st XI cricketer prior to his move to Premier Cricket. Jody believes in his people, the club and the development of young player talent. The time and effort that Jody expends in bettering his club and playing talent is something that most clubs would be jealous of. Furthermore, Jody is uncompromising in expecting the best from his resources.

Recent public comments pertaining to a 1st XI game versus Williamstown and the resultant fallout are scandalous, malicious and totally void of fact. Weapons - I am conscious that you were playing in said game but, as a 2nd XI Captain who was playing on Sunday, I was also present for the game in question. I will not enter into specifics of the day or game nor do I feel that this is a forum to point out some major concerns that I have from the day in question (unrelated to my club or players). However, let me clarify misguided and uneducated opinions that have been posted in this forum advising that the entire Broadmeadows 1st XI are or report and that Jody was seen chastising his players versus Plenty Valley in the weekend just gone. Both these statements are false. In fact, NO player has been reported from the game versus Williamstown.

As for opinions posted pertaining to Jody - I respectfully request that you show some class and maturity. Anyone long affiliated with our Association is made aware of rumours, innuendo and hearsay. These rumours and innuendo are sometimes related to a club as a collective or to an individual, however, in both cases they are usually based in about 15% of fact. As an official heavily engrained within our Association and broader CV circles, I am made aware of many rumours pertaining to clubs and individuals (not excluding your respective clubs). However, like most individuals with a broad level of respect for the game and their peer universe, I do not feel it necessary to espouse these rumours in a public forum.

The Broadmeadows Cricket Club and, myself as President, is presently regarded as one of the most progressive and dynamic clubs with regards to off-field initiatives and as how to run a club in the modern era. Such initiatives include the introduction of PNG international representatives to our Association. The benefits of this program are now being enjoyed by numerous clubs within the VSDCA including your own Super Saint and instead of lambasting a club or individual representatives of said club - show some respect for the benefits you are reaping of a program pioneered by the same club that you are criticising and for whom provided your own club with the warm lead to secure the resources secured this Season.

All said, owing to public comments made with regards to my club and Jody Hutchinson, I have been frustrated to an extent that I felt a response was necessary (necessitating me registering an account). As opposed to further public comment and banter, I am more than happy to avail my personal contact details if any individual wished to discuss details further in a mature and intelligent manner.

With the challenges confronting our game as a whole (participation rates, popularity of the sport in those aged under 11, etc) as well as immediate financial challenges confronting our Association and the 28 participating clubs, perhaps we can all spend more time concentrating on the positive promotion of our game, our Association and our club brands.

Ben Wood
President
Broadmeadows Cricket Club

Running for political office any time soon, Woody? First things first, EVERY ONE admires what you and Pas have done for this club over a long period of time. You made finals last year in 2 grades and you have money in the bank. But a couple of things need to be clarified.
1) Did an umpire leave your game and why? ( I would think this would be a "first" in Subbies.)
2) Is the competition investigating the conduct of SOME of your players as a result of that game?
3) Why was McKay not selected for round 10?
4) Were the some similar player behaviour problems in the previous game against Melton?

You are correct, we as a forum don't normally get in to "name calling", although I think Hutchinson wouldn't have lost any sleep over it and it was pretty mild stuff. The other issues, however, need to be addressed, because, if this is becoming a pattern, then all your good work (and Pases') will be wasted and the perception of your club will suffer.

Well summed up S&W,the two Willy boys on this site both sensibly declined to comment on the issue leaving it up to the investigation committee,not sure what else they could have done.
Make no mistake though there is an ongoing investigation and perhaps the Broady president mightr have been better served waiting for the outcome,still I suppose he can't be blamed for flying the flag.
As far as the make up of the N/W ladder goes,Melton obviously still the team to beat,Kew still the danger,throw a blanket over3-6.
My market would be -$2.20 Melton,$310 Kew,$5.50 Plenty Valley,$10 Balwyn,$13 Altona,$20 Ivanhoe.
Harwood's obviously the key,if he stays fit and firing then you can give them the pennant now.
If results go the way they probably will then a Melton vc Caulfield championship final would have been unbelievable,who voted it out?

To both Weapons and SuperSaint, first and foremost, allow me to introduce myself as I feel no need to hide behind an alias. My name is Ben Wood and I am and have been the President of the Broadmeadows Cricket Club for the past 8 Seasons. Furthermore, I have been associated with our proud and tradition steeped Association for in excess of 20 years.

I am and had always been loathed to post or respond to public forum banter, however, your respective recent comments (no matter how veiled) directed towards the Broadmeadows Cricket Club and/or the 1st XI Captain, Jody Hutchinson, have riled me to an extent that I feel a response is necessary.

Social media outlets and public forum outlets such as Big Cricket are a medium in which I believe in as it allows all to further promote our game, our Association and our respective club brands. General banter is often no more than dross or hyperbole but is good natured in its intent. Unfortunately, recent comments pertaining to my club and our 1st XI Captain or unwarranted, misinformed, uneducated and scurrilous.

Not only is Jody the 1st XI Captain of the Broadmeadows Cricket Club he is and has been a close personal friend of mine for over a decade. I do not feel it necessary to talk to Jody's on-field achievements in a distinguished career that he has had to date but, rather, his character. Jody is a passionate individual who has returned to play for a club where he progressed from Hatch and bottom XI ranks to a 1st XI cricketer prior to his move to Premier Cricket. Jody believes in his people, the club and the development of young player talent. The time and effort that Jody expends in bettering his club and playing talent is something that most clubs would be jealous of. Furthermore, Jody is uncompromising in expecting the best from his resources.

Recent public comments pertaining to a 1st XI game versus Williamstown and the resultant fallout are scandalous, malicious and totally void of fact. Weapons - I am conscious that you were playing in said game but, as a 2nd XI Captain who was playing on Sunday, I was also present for the game in question. I will not enter into specifics of the day or game nor do I feel that this is a forum to point out some major concerns that I have from the day in question (unrelated to my club or players). However, let me clarify misguided and uneducated opinions that have been posted in this forum advising that the entire Broadmeadows 1st XI are or report and that Jody was seen chastising his players versus Plenty Valley in the weekend just gone. Both these statements are false. In fact, NO player has been reported from the game versus Williamstown.

As for opinions posted pertaining to Jody - I respectfully request that you show some class and maturity. Anyone long affiliated with our Association is made aware of rumours, innuendo and hearsay. These rumours and innuendo are sometimes related to a club as a collective or to an individual, however, in both cases they are usually based in about 15% of fact. As an official heavily engrained within our Association and broader CV circles, I am made aware of many rumours pertaining to clubs and individuals (not excluding your respective clubs). However, like most individuals with a broad level of respect for the game and their peer universe, I do not feel it necessary to espouse these rumours in a public forum.

The Broadmeadows Cricket Club and, myself as President, is presently regarded as one of the most progressive and dynamic clubs with regards to off-field initiatives and as how to run a club in the modern era. Such initiatives include the introduction of PNG international representatives to our Association. The benefits of this program are now being enjoyed by numerous clubs within the VSDCA including your own Super Saint and instead of lambasting a club or individual representatives of said club - show some respect for the benefits you are reaping of a program pioneered by the same club that you are criticising and for whom provided your own club with the warm lead to secure the resources secured this Season.

All said, owing to public comments made with regards to my club and Jody Hutchinson, I have been frustrated to an extent that I felt a response was necessary (necessitating me registering an account). As opposed to further public comment and banter, I am more than happy to avail my personal contact details if any individual wished to discuss details further in a mature and intelligent manner.

With the challenges confronting our game as a whole (participation rates, popularity of the sport in those aged under 11, etc) as well as immediate financial challenges confronting our Association and the 28 participating clubs, perhaps we can all spend more time concentrating on the positive promotion of our game, our Association and our club brands.

Ben Wood
President
Thanks Ben.

Firstly, not sure where the club 'lambasting' has come from. I have not had a crack at you club so I am a bit miffed by your 'show some respect' comment. Being a committee member at Kingston Saints, I know how much work has to be put in during a season and beyond. I don't think anyone on this forum has a crack at how clubs are run.

In relation to Jody Hutchinson, I don't personally know the guy, but played against him when he was at Keilor. Maybe I should have termed it 'dill on the field'. I have not, and will not question what he does at your club or off the field, as I have no idea about his commitment in this regard.

In relation to the chastising of his players, I was told this by a source at the game all day, who I believe has no reason to say otherwise. If I've been given the wrong info, then I apologise, although I doubt it very much.

Finally, maybe I have got this all wrong, but I thought this forum was used as a bit of a rumour file and some 'tongue in cheek' banter. I for one, would be interested in any Kingston Saints rumours, as it may give us an idea for years to come!!

PS brightboy, yes, our 4's did make 12 in the second dig, and were 9/4. Fair to say at training, the boys ovcer all grades were put under the pump for Saturday's woes. However, when th 4's captain was asked if there was any reason for the dismal score, he said yes, he was a 2nd XI player playing in the 4's!!!

Thanks Ben.

Firstly, not sure where the club 'lambasting' has come from. I have not had a crack at you club so I am a bit miffed by your 'show some respect' comment. Being a committee member at Kingston Saints, I know how much work has to be put in during a season and beyond. I don't think anyone on this forum has a crack at how clubs are run.

In relation to Jody Hutchinson, I don't personally know the guy, but played against him when he was at Keilor. Maybe I should have termed it 'dill on the field'. I have not, and will not question what he does at your club or off the field, as I have no idea about his commitment in this regard.

In relation to the chastising of his players, I was told this by a source at the game all day, who I believe has no reason to say otherwise. If I've been given the wrong info, then I apologise, although I doubt it very much.

Finally, maybe I have got this all wrong, but I thought this forum was used as a bit of a rumour file and some 'tongue in cheek' banter. I for one, would be interested in any Kingston Saints rumours, as it may give us an idea for years to come!!

PS brightboy, yes, our 4's did make 12 in the second dig, and were 9/4. Fair to say at training, the boys ovcer all grades were put under the pump for Saturday's woes. However, when th 4's captain was asked if there was any reason for the dismal score, he said yes, he was a 2nd XI player playing in the 4's!!!
Great response from the 4's skipper. That's on a par with Dan Christian saying he'd like to be as good as Jaques Kallis. As a mate of mine said, he'd better get cracking.

Thanks Ben.

SS makes a fair point here, Woody. I have checked the previous posts too and I think you are "drawing a long bow" here with your "lambasting" claims. You and I (and pretty much everybody else) both know this is more about damage control and "spin" than your professed outrage.

So, in essence, your 2000 plus word missive ( I would have liked to be more accurate, but my word counter blew up under the strain, and I am uncertain who I can write this unit off to) is to complain about Jody Hutchinson being called a"dill."

I am tipping you may have bigger problems on your hands if even 15% (your statistic) of the allegation/assertains/rumours are true. I am not sure you can have it boths ways. Firstly to jump on here and condenm commemts as "scandalous,malicious and totally devoid of fact", and then blithely announce that you won't being entering to the specifics of what happened.

However, it is good to see that as "an official, heavily involved in the Association and CV circles"you don't feel it is necessary to espouse the rumors pertaining to our clubs in a public forum." I bet the Subbies executive and the lads at Cricket Victoria are thrilled to hear that. Just don't feel a bit left out if they are reluctant to include you in any high level discussions going forward.

Ben Wood
President

gee whizz johnny squizz.........do i go hard or do i tow the line....couldnt care who u are or what you do.....im sure every 1 on here knows who i am if you dont read back the last 400 pages of subbies on this forum and you will work it out........never the less we as a club left what happened on the day in the changerooms.......so get off your high horse and worry about whats going to happen in the near future......

as there are a few appologies floating around i would like 1 from ''you''........because in previous posts i have said fck all about what happened on the day of the game........go back and read through.......so u show some respect.......

mark brown
2 time championship player.....(1 as 12th man)
1 time premiership coach.....

SS makes a fair point here, Woody. I have checked the previous posts too and I think you are "drawing a long bow" here with your "lambasting" claims. You and I (and pretty much everybody else) both know this is more about damage control and "spin" than your professed outrage.

So, in essence, your 2000 plus word missive ( I would have liked to be more accurate, but my word counter blew up under the strain, and I am uncertain who I can write this unit off to) is to complain about Jody Hutchinson being called a"dill."

I am tipping you may have bigger problems on your hands if even 15% (your statistic) of the allegation/assertains/rumours are true. I am not sure you can have it boths ways. Firstly to jump on here and condenm commemts as "scandalous,malicious and totally devoid of fact", and then blithely announce that you won't being entering to the specifics of what happened.

However, it is good to see that as "an official, heavily involved in the Association and CV circles"you don't feel it is necessary to espouse the rumors pertaining to our clubs in a public forum." I bet the Subbies executive and the lads at Cricket Victoria are thrilled to hear that. Just don't feel a bit left out if they are reluctant to include you in any high level discussions going forward.

well said.......

what do some of his words mean.......tell him to keep it simple im from 3023........

Back