Subbies 2011/12

Agree totally about the way subbies clubs are spending their money.
One club has no covers at its second ground but brings a POM out every year?? How is that investing in your club and its future.
Have never seen a VTCA game and don't really know much about the comp but it would appear we have some work to do to maintain and improve our standards
Agree wholeheartedly.

There are subbies clubs who will not survive when the dividend ends unless they drastically change the way they operate. I can tell you at the Saints, we are budgeting for WHEN it goes, not IF it goes.

As for no covers on a 2nd ground, that is an embarrasment. If you can't afford 2 sets of covers, go and play park cricket.

I have played in both comps, and whilst I think Subbies is a better standard, the VTCA is more innovative and ground breaking. Full square covers and the points system show this.

Tend to agree with you here, Westland.

Most subbies clubs are happy to live off the CV dividend that they are given. And the perception is that this is spent on player payments (as the current rule seems to be farcical and un-enforceable).

Play the finals on the good 1st XI grounds with decent facilities.

Personally speaking, it seems like the VTCA are getting the leg-up on Subbies as the 2nd best local club competition in Victoria.
I reckon the best test to ascertain who is the number 2 comp. in the state is quite simple.

ASK any Senior Division VTCA club if they would like to join Subbies an the answer would be a resounding "YES". Alternatively, ask the same question of any Subbies club about joining the VTCA and the answer would be an unequivocal "NO."

Can we do better, sure, but we have a pretty good product and a lot of us think our stronger clubs are better administered than some Premier clubs, so I guess the perception amongst rival comps. will always be there.

I reckon the best test to ascertain who is the number 2 comp. in the state is quite simple.

ASK any Senior Division VTCA club if they would like to join Subbies an the answer would be a resounding "YES". Alternatively, ask the same question of any Subbies club about joining the VTCA and the answer would be an unequivocal "NO."

Can we do better, sure, but we have a pretty good product and a lot of us think our stronger clubs are better administered than some Premier clubs, so I guess the perception amongst rival comps. will always be there.

It is only in the event the CV dividend is no more that we are in a situation of comparing 'apples with apples'. SS may be able to help us out here. SS, did the dividend play a part in your club making the decision to move fr the vtca to the subbies? Or, to put it another way, would your club have been less attracted to make the move had there not been a dividend?

It is only in the event the CV dividend is no more that we are in a situation of comparing 'apples with apples'. SS may be able to help us out here. SS, did the dividend play a part in your club making the decision to move fr the vtca to the subbies? Or, to put it another way, would your club have been less attracted to make the move had there not been a dividend?
In a word, no. We saw Subbies as the second best comp in the state, something I believe continues to this day. The dividend was a bonus. Certainly from info provide by Phil O'Meara, we saw this as the way forward.

I believe the cricket is of a higher standard and I think there is a far better interaction between clubs. I would rather my young boy starting in the 4's in subbies than playing lower grades elsewhere. Gets to learn under good players and played in an excellent spirit.

In a word, no. We saw Subbies as the second best comp in the state, something I believe continues to this day. The dividend was a bonus. Certainly from info provide by Phil O'Meara, we saw this as the way forward.

I believe the cricket is of a higher standard and I think there is a far better interaction between clubs. I would rather my young boy starting in the 4's in subbies than playing lower grades elsewhere. Gets to learn under good players and played in an excellent spirit.
Thanks SS. I am also well-placed to make a comparison and agree with your assessment. So, the challenge for the subbies is ensure it stays that way. You did say in an earlier post the VTCA is more innovative having full square covers and a points system, but did not mention it also has a promotion/relegation system. Living as I do in 'the deprived west', I do despair at the difficulty the Sunshine's and the Broady's, for example, have of ever being able to compete on a level playing field, no matter how hard their management teams work. Any comments?

Thanks SS. I am also well-placed to make a comparison and agree with your assessment. So, the challenge for the subbies is ensure it stays that way. You did say in an earlier post the VTCA is more innovative having full square covers and a points system, but did not mention it also has a promotion/relegation system. Living as I do in 'the deprived west', I do despair at the difficulty the Sunshine's and the Broady's, for example, have of ever being able to compete on a level playing field, no matter how hard their management teams work. Any comments?
I know a 2 tiered system has been proposed. Not sure it will go that way though.

Being able to compete obviously depends on players. Broady played finals last year and are going in the right direction, one bad playing year isn't the end of the world. If one team is continually struggling then something needs to be done.

I think ourselves and Endeavour Hills are exmples of improvement. I believe that both have very good committees, but both lie on the outskirts of the comp where somestimes it can be difficult to attract players. The fact that we both made finals and have done things to improve is a huge bonus for us and the comp.

Promotion and Relegation would be great so a 2 division set up is a great idea. Give the clubs 2 years notice and the best performed clubs over that period are in division 1.
You could leave the 3rds and 4ths in their groupings as it is currently structured.

got some massive news comming out of mcpherson park do i or dont i.........geeeez

i might just wait until the granny is over as i respect them just a little bit.......then ill let rip

some great results for the w.c.c on the week end 3rd 11 played tough hard cricket to get the chockies end result a granny apearance.....u/17s made it 3 gf wins on the trot congrats to ywl smithy and the young blokes......

2nd 11 and 4th 11 went into s/f as favourites only for the rain to interupt and make it a tough way to finish the year.......

good luck to all teams participating

got some massive news comming out of mcpherson park do i or dont i.........geeeez

i might just wait until the granny is over as i respect them just a little bit.......then ill let rip

some great results for the w.c.c on the week end 3rd 11 played tough hard cricket to get the chockies end result a granny apearance.....u/17s made it 3 gf wins on the trot congrats to ywl smithy and the young blokes......

2nd 11 and 4th 11 went into s/f as favourites only for the rain to interupt and make it a tough way to finish the year.......

good luck to all teams participating
Mate, not sure your 2's went in favourites, Malvern pretty good all year. Probably saved from embarassment after 7/50.

Look forward to the Melton info.

I dont believe the dividend is an issue at all,I've spoken to a few guys from different clubs and they've all said the same thing,they're treating it as if its already gone and knuckling down and working harder to make up the shortfall.
You know I'm a fan of the 2 tier system with promotion/relegation but probably never happen.
Don't buy into arguments over which comp is better etc,all I'll say is ours is far better administered which sets it apart.
Weapo,I wonder if your news is when ,not if,Melton are going to Premier?,am waiting with baited breath.
Tips for tomorrow,both should be great contests,for the sake of a tip will go Melton and Plenty but only guessing.
Good luck to all.

I dont believe the dividend is an issue at all,I've spoken to a few guys from different clubs and they've all said the same thing,they're treating it as if its already gone and knuckling down and working harder to make up the shortfall.
You know I'm a fan of the 2 tier system with promotion/relegation but probably never happen.
Don't buy into arguments over which comp is better etc,all I'll say is ours is far better administered which sets it apart.
Weapo,I wonder if your news is when ,not if,Melton are going to Premier?,am waiting with baited breath.
Tips for tomorrow,both should be great contests,for the sake of a tip will go Melton and Plenty but only guessing.
Good luck to all.

Agree PB, dividend is gone, bonus is we will get payments for a couple more years. Clubs just need to work hard to supplement this income.

Best of luck to all grand finalists for tomorrow. I never tip on Oaks games, so I'll have a crack at the others.

Werribee have been in irresistable form, but facing the mighty Lions is a near impossible task, I have Melton saluting relatively comfortably and completing their three-peat. An erormous performance to defeat every group in a row. Kudos to Allan, Harrison & Vernon and their teams.

Balwyn to defeat Preston in an arm wrestle, the feel good story with very religious parents, Jacob Jacob to be the star. Brighton to edge the Roosters in the other 2nd XI Final, just too consistent across the baord, despite the Malvern boys amazing capacity to win big games.

Excellent days cricket at Beach oval between 2 very good team. Solid opening by BCC but very tight bowling restricted BCC to 4/100 at tea. Both sides battled hard after tea and Allen must have bowled almost 30 overs. Hamilton anchored the innings with 72 no and several other contributed. Finished with 6/249 on a good wicket but slightly slow outfield. Game on tomorrow and will depend on the experienced Malvern bats against a strong BCC attack. Great grand final between traditional rivals.

Excellent days cricket at Beach oval between 2 very good team. Solid opening by BCC but very tight bowling restricted BCC to 4/100 at tea. Both sides battled hard after tea and Allen must have bowled almost 30 overs. Hamilton anchored the innings with 72 no and several other contributed. Finished with 6/249 on a good wicket but slightly slow outfield. Game on tomorrow and will depend on the experienced Malvern bats against a strong BCC attack. Great grand final between traditional rivals.
At 'Back of Beyond Park' Melton's score is better than it looks due to the outfield's grass not being cut nearly short enough for cricket, let alone a subbies GF. Persistent attack by W'bee on a flat pitch with good bounce and carry, but they let themselves down in the final hour by dropping several simple catches when Melton was hitting out. May have been chasing 30 less if they had been held. Just may be the deciding factor. Getting Mick Allen out for 'only' 30 was a bonus on his form--an attempted hook shot which he skied very high and taken by the keeper after having to run backwards a long way. An excellent catch.

Day 2 at Maccy Park saw Harwood and Jones the only two to bowl fr the northern until tea with James Wheelahan, Duncan Harrison and Nathan Allen operating into the wind. Is there a better attack in the subbies? Constant pressure and a measure of hostility, but resisted for a long time by Shane Dean. However, by tea, M Dean, Wolf and O'Brien all gone and run-rate had swelled to over 4 runs per over. A mopping up exercise after tea with Jones dominant. Love to have seen Melton take on Oakleigh, Does any other comp conduct their finals in the manner the subbies do? This business of maximum club participation can be overdone I think.

Almost the perfect day 2 performance. Malvern rolled for 77. Harrod 2/9 off 10 ,Bransgrove 2/28 off 8, Harrison 2/4 off 6 and the skipper 3/9 off 14 including 81 dot balls from 84 bowled. Martyn 4 catches behind and no catches dropped. After 12 final appearances in the last 15 years finally take the flag. Big celebrations at the Beach Oval.

At 'Back of Beyond Park' Melton's score is better than it looks due to the outfield's grass not being cut nearly short enough for cricket, let alone a subbies GF. Persistent attack by W'bee on a flat pitch with good bounce and carry, but they let themselves down in the final hour by dropping several simple catches when Melton was hitting out. May have been chasing 30 less if they had been held. Just may be the deciding factor. Getting Mick Allen out for 'only' 30 was a bonus on his form--an attempted hook shot which he skied very high and taken by the keeper after having to run backwards a long way. An excellent catch.
Went down and watched the Oakleigh/PV game on the weekend. Great game of cricket! Can't quite get used to Atresy bowled left arm orthodox! Well done to McGuinness & Ingram and Ayres.

Congratulations to the Oaks on what has been an amazing season, where they captured all three of the trophies up for grabs. An amazing feat that hasn't been done since last season.

The smart recruiting of McGuiness(700 runs @47) really stiffened a batting order that was perceived as brittle in big games. Now to be really considered the "Kings of Subbies," (parleese) they need to take on the champs out West, who completed (for them) a solid season with their third flag on the trot and 4th from five consecutive grand final appearances.

There is a lot to like about Plenty Valley also, with two runners up awards to the Oaks. The retention of Ingram is a must and maybe a "top up" player and they, along with a very young Werribee side will be very difficult to beat next year.

Congratulations to the Oaks on what has been an amazing season, where they captured all three of the trophies up for grabs. An amazing feat that hasn't been done since last season.

The smart recruiting of McGuiness(700 runs @47) really stiffened a batting order that was perceived as brittle in big games. Now to be really considered the "Kings of Subbies," (parleese) they need to take on the champs out West, who completed (for them) a solid season with their third flag on the trot and 4th from five consecutive grand final appearances.

There is a lot to like about Plenty Valley also, with two runners up awards to the Oaks. The retention of Ingram is a must and maybe a "top up" player and they, along with a very young Werribee side will be very difficult to beat next year.

Very witty as always S&W. Harwood going to be at McPherson Park next season? Have heard whispers that not everyone was happy with his antics during the finals series and that he may be heading up to play in Ballarat. Will need to find some cover for him if he leaves...

Back