Subbies Thread

I do not know if CV has a right of veto or not. But, if they do, then they would need to have a very compelling case for exercising it. In the example we are talking about there wouldn't appear to be any such compelling reason. Are they really trying to shut down the VSDCA? or trying to restructure Metro cricket? If anyone captured by the restructure decides to reject CV then I am pretty sure that entity has pretty control over it's own destiny. If they didn't, CV would have mandated the change after consultation but they clearly don't have the power to do so.
They're trying to restructure Metro cricket, but clearly they want everybody one board. And in previous posts we spoke about what cards can CV play and we mentioned taking away VSDCA grants, not awarding strategic grants etc - surely forcing a bye would be a card they would play, if they can.
And although I don't know if they need a compelling reason, they may think this is a good enough one

Yes, they do want everyone under the one roof but the polls currently don't support their plan. They have to compromise if they don't have the mandate. They have played the grant card, it may hurt a couple of clubs but the large majority will get by. Other measures have been discussed but I doubt using the big stick will endear them to those that are against. If they have the game-changer card I reckon it would be out by now. Compromise is really the only possible way forward to me but it's easy to say, very hard to achieve.

Agree, I didn't want to be disrespectful but the facts are WDCA are in favour of the CV restructure as without it they will dissappear. Many of their clubs have moved to the VTCA and before too long there would've been nothing left. But, I doubt rat'n'bat put his view out there without some knowledge of where the VTCA sits on this. I suspect South clubs are basically out, and VTCA may have to take what they can, which may mean handing their west clubs over. I also suspect this includes CV compromising on a higher level comp sitting above the regions run by the VTCA. Of course I am just speculating there.

Never any thought you were being disrespectful mate. The WDCA would only disappear from the turf scene, which they have already indicated they are prepared to do. Such is the dominance of the non-subbies turf scene out here by the VTCA, it can already provide geographical divisions appropriate for the WDCA's 8 remaining turf clubs. So, if a revised CV model still proves unacceptable, a tidy alternative out here would be for the 8 clubs to have their turf teams in the VTCA and the WDCA to merge with the chuches comp and the regional junior cricket assn to form a full-service synthetic competition. The former SCA clubs now in the VTCA have for many years had their synthetic teams in alternative comps, the WDCA being one of them, so I see no practical reason why the 8 WDCA turf clubs could not do the same. That is, VTCA for their turf teams and the combined synthetic comp for their synthetic teams.

Bonbeach , Chelsea , Parkdale United ,Mentone should go to the DDCA and Beaumaris and Old Mentonials should also join DDCA unless one or both try and get into the Subbies then Carnegie , Middle Park , Caulfield Grammer , Bentleigh should either join ECA or MCA with South Caulfield and McKinnon to do the same unless one or both try and to get into Subbies

Bonbeach , Chelsea , Parkdale United ,Mentone should go to the DDCA and Beaumaris and Old Mentonials should also join DDCA unless one or both try and get into the Subbies then Carnegie , Middle Park , Caulfield Grammer , Bentleigh should either join ECA or MCA with South Caulfield and McKinnon to do the same unless one or both try and to get into Subbies
The MCA is a social club, you have no idea.

In many ways yes in lower grades but standead has lifted in last couple of years to standead of a VTCA South A with clubs from VTCA North joining the MCA but that's a option for clubs in that part of the South but more then likely most clubs will go to ECA where standead is higher

Nice whack for CV from Brunswick, stated their opinion pretty clearly and if other subbies club share their view then there's a fair way to go. Also a nice snippet from the subbies boss saying CV haven't softened on any part of their proposal, hmmmm

In many ways yes in lower grades but standead has lifted in last couple of years to standead of a VTCA South A with clubs from VTCA North joining the MCA but that's a option for clubs in that part of the South but more then likely most clubs will go to ECA where standead is higher
I've played Subbies, VTCA (South Division) & MCA (A Grade) cricket. For me MCA is a long long way behind the other ...

Nice whack for CV from Brunswick, stated their opinion pretty clearly and if other subbies club share their view then there's a fair way to go. Also a nice snippet from the subbies boss saying CV haven't softened on any part of their proposal, hmmmm
Yes they have, Sheehan has his head up his arse

Yes they have, Sheehan has his head up his arse

Relying solely on recent posts on this forum, I get the impression CV is now receptive to input from its stakeholders on their concerns about the proposed model. I read, for example, posts making reference to a ''Version 2''. Despite the VTCA clubs having rejected ''Version 1'', there was certainly a hint in its Leading Edge it may give ground in the south, and, it appears not to have slammed the door shut on negotiations with CV. In contrast, it seems the VSDCA continues its defiant stance. It ought to be a concern to subbies clubs, if there now exists an opportunity to do some fence-mending, that the VSDCA's executive do not now take up the opportunity to explore with CV potential common ground. Is it realistic to think the subbies can continue ad infinitum in splendid isolation? I consider the ramifications of being forever out of the mainstream should now be uppermost in the minds of subbies clubs.

Relying solely on recent posts on this forum, I get the impression CV is now receptive to input from its stakeholders on their concerns about the proposed model. I read, for example, posts making reference to a ''Version 2''. Despite the VTCA clubs having rejected ''Version 1'', there was certainly a hint in its Leading Edge it may give ground in the south, and, it appears not to have slammed the door shut on negotiations with CV. In contrast, it seems the VSDCA continues its defiant stance. It ought to be a concern to subbies clubs, if there now exists an opportunity to do some fence-mending, that the VSDCA's executive do not now take up the opportunity to explore with CV potential common ground. Is it realistic to think the subbies can continue ad infinitum in splendid isolation? I consider the ramifications of being forever out of the mainstream should now be uppermost in the minds of subbies clubs.

From my experience the CV have listened to a number of clubs' concerns – particularly in our region. A lot of City of Kingston clubs (particularly those in the VTCA) expressed a desire to stay in the region with the Bayside clubs – and I'm pretty sure CV will change the boundaries a little bit. (Maybe swap Monash and Kingston councils around in terms of their regional alignement).
The VTCA had shut off talks with CV, but I think they are now back on speaking terms which is great. From what I've heard there were clubs throughout the VTCA (not just the south) who if not completely in favour of the proposal were still disappointed that the VTCA were refusing to communicate

The MCA is a social club, you have no idea.
The MCA is a quaint little social competition that is rather lucky to be mentioned in the same paragraph as the VSDCA, VTCA, DDCA and ECA. Making Gideon Haigh's overly verbose article all the more bermusing. They'd much rather exist in isolation from the other comps so that there sides can still play in "A-grade" and "B-grade". Because in a regional competition the clubs would quickly filter down the grades.

Cricket Victoria might as well exclude them from the conversation, how many junior cricketers do they provide to the pathways each season? If we include them, we might need to include the MCC club competition too....

From my experience the CV have listened to a number of clubs' concerns – particularly in our region. A lot of City of Kingston clubs (particularly those in the VTCA) expressed a desire to stay in the region with the Bayside clubs – and I'm pretty sure CV will change the boundaries a little bit. (Maybe swap Monash and Kingston councils around in terms of their regional alignement).
The VTCA had shut off talks with CV, but I think they are now back on speaking terms which is great. From what I've heard there were clubs throughout the VTCA (not just the south) who if not completely in favour of the proposal were still disappointed that the VTCA were refusing to communicate

You certainly cannot explore compromise and common ground whilst the relevant parties are in stand-off mode, so I sincerely hope the VTCA and CV are on speaking terms. It is also encouraging to learn it is likely CV ''have listened to a number of clubs' concerns - particularly in the south region''. There appear to be far more complex issues to deal with in the south than we have in the west. If your issues can be sorted to the satisfaction of the stakeholders, it should also be possible for them to be sorted out here. However, I think the stats I provided on p69 show that, without the 20 subbies teams being in the West Metro Region, ''Version 1'' is not viable. Perhaps CV may need to think along the lines of fewer Leagues if the subbies remain on the outer bringing , say, the Brimbank based turf clubs into the West Metro League to give sufficient turf teams for it to be an attractive and viable alternative to the existing structures we have out here. These clubs already identify with the west predominantly being former SCA clubs.

Moorabbin have appointed a new coach. Non playing. Ex Sri Lankan test player. Also, Matjlis from Mount as Capt and Development coach, so would assume his brother will join him, along with a couple of other Mount 1st XI players. Wouldn't have thought Mount could afford to lose them.

You hit the nail on the head and I hear a rumour that Ken Hilton is leaving Subbies and going back to McKinnon

I wonder why Ken is leaving the subbies--is he at odds with the uncompromising stance taken by colleagues on the VSDCA executive? Or, alternatively, very unhappy with CV's plans to put the turf-only comps out of business? I wouldn't be surprised if there was not complete uninamity within the ranks of the VSDCA executive on its defiant stance. If you hear anything I would be interested to know.The loss of such a key and super-competent official at this critical time is bound to raise speculation unless and until the reasons are known.

I wonder why Ken is leaving the subbies--is he at odds with the uncompromising stance taken by colleagues on the VSDCA executive? Or, alternatively, very unhappy with CV's plans to put the turf-only comps out of business? I wouldn't be surprised if there was not complete uninamity within the ranks of the VSDCA executive on its defiant stance. If you hear anything I would be interested to know.The loss of such a key and super-competent official at this critical time is bound to raise speculation unless and until the reasons are known.

Westland I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for anything of substance to come back from Scratch. His posts are pretty much taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at individuals, taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at anyone other than VTCA, taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at anyone associated with subbies, taking potshots at subbies, carping on about the defunct subbies dividend, taking potshots at subbies, and his other specialty, giving donuts. That's what you will get back from him on your request.

Westland I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for anything of substance to come back from Scratch. His posts are pretty much taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at individuals, taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at anyone other than VTCA, taking potshots at subbies, taking potshots at anyone associated with subbies, taking potshots at subbies, carping on about the defunct subbies dividend, taking potshots at subbies, and his other specialty, giving donuts. That's what you will get back from him on your request.
I will easily have a go at the VTCA, which seem to be running very poorly and I would think the Subbies are far better run. It's just that I think regional cricket will be better for the game in the long run. Numbers are dropping off everywhere, its the length of a days play and the travel especially for younger players in lower XI's. It is now a fact that Saturday's are now the worst times on our roads. I also believe that Premier should be slashed to 12 teams, hows that ?

Back