Subbies Thread

Agree with your last comment Ben, you need to build a side with a far chunk of local/young talent that have some commitment to the club. If not, then if you lose the names one year, you have a big hole!

As a club, I think Malvern seem to do this really well. Whenever I thing they're gone, they seem to pull some good young kids from nowhere!

It is more so about the QUALITY of the people that you get to the club.. good people who are also good cricketer's such as the Allen's, Geisler, Maynard etc have remained loyal to their clubs for a number of years

You can't on one hand (dismiss) talk about premier clubs trading in the red due to the points system and then on the other advocate a free market, it's contradictory. Look no further than local football to see how a lack of a cap on player payments can damage clubs and competitions. And then look at a "regulated" comp like the VAFA and the never ending speculation about who is on the take. The points system is e most transparent and I'd back that in every competition. It might revitalise the hatch comp too.
Well said,thats about it

You can't on one hand (dismiss) talk about premier clubs trading in the red due to the points system and then on the other advocate a free market, it's contradictory. Look no further than local football to see how a lack of a cap on player payments can damage clubs and competitions. And then look at a "regulated" comp like the VAFA and the never ending speculation about who is on the take. The points system is e most transparent and I'd back that in every competition. It might revitalise the hatch comp too.

The Western Region Football League have recently announced their intention to introduce a player points system. The inequities in the competition due to the ''have'' and ''have not'' clubs is a very real concern, and it is no different in cricket. High time the VSDCA revisited the issue.

His son plays 12's and he wont be around all year, so the money is not an issue, otherwise you wouldn't play that shit cricket
You would need to be on good coin to play that shit cricket so I'd say the money 'sealed' the deal whilst his son can play juniors at ESBC, considering Hodge helped out last season at Beaumaris T20 Blast where I believe his son was involved, there are plenty of better run clubs in that area near where he lives ie Beauy, Hampton, Mentone, Brighton etc and turf clubs too I might add!

Well Brighton well run havnt even got them selfs a captain/coach yet Mentone are just a club and Beaumaris are a club that is good enough to play Subbies and all these clubs do play turf but if you look at East Sandringham they have a great record in recent years and if there have the coin to pay Brad Hodge good luck to them no crime in playing synthetic cricket

OK, so Ben informs the player points system was overwhelmingly defeated some years ago. Would I be correct in assuming that was prior to notification of the dividend being phased out? In the absence of the dividend, the ''have nots'' are now even less able to compete on a level playing field. As the VSDCA has decided to ''go it alone'', I consider it more necessary the ever it does all it reasonably can to allow all its clubs to be competitive. I understand this may stifle initiative, but it seems to me the lesser of two evils, the other being that a number of clubs will struggle owing to the costs associated with the 2 turf ground model and, may reluctantly need to leave the subbies for a competition that requires only one turf ground. A VTCA club close by Dempster Park fields 4 turf teams on its one ground -- 2 teams in Sat comp, and 2 in Sun comp--and are happy doing so.

Called into the Deer Park v Hopper Crossing match this arvo where I was told Tim Collins will coach Deer Park CC succeeding Glen Sullivan. It was not known where Glen is headed.

The 2014-15 pitch ratings are now available via the CV Pitch Awards tab on the subbies home page and justify the criticism by several posters of the poor standard of Broady's pitch. In the opinion of the umpires, the lowest ranking in the entire comp. As one poster remarked, Mitch will find a difference at Werribee given its favourable rating. Given all the effort by Ben and co in recent years they are deserving of better Council support. I know that is an area where angels fear to tread, but an improvement is needed.

Well Brighton well run havnt even got them selfs a captain/coach yet Mentone are just a club and Beaumaris are a club that is good enough to play Subbies and all these clubs do play turf but if you look at East Sandringham they have a great record in recent years and if there have the coin to pay Brad Hodge good luck to them no crime in playing synthetic cricket

Seems as though the comp ES plays in has a player payment policy as effective as the one in the subbies!

The 2014-15 pitch ratings are now available via the CV Pitch Awards tab on the subbies home page and justify the criticism by several posters of the poor standard of Broady's pitch. In the opinion of the umpires, the lowest ranking in the entire comp. As one poster remarked, Mitch will find a difference at Werribee given its favourable rating. Given all the effort by Ben and co in recent years they are deserving of better Council support. I know that is an area where angels fear to tread, but an improvement is needed.

Mitch will get plenty of assistance at Werribee too. I rate Werribee as the best place to bowl spin behind Noble Park, provides plenty.

In regards to Ben's post about commenting on Melton's situation and then also hiding behind alias' I think the responses have been spot on. We are not dealing in rumours and innuendo, you will find when the season comes around that those six players will not be in Melton's 1st XI for round 1. That is fact and surely we are allowed to comment on that. And as far as the alias' are concerned most people on here know who each other are, I could name four or five people on here so I don't think having to use each other by a first name basis is totally necessary. Good luck to Melton in their search for new players, they will get some across the line and still have the likes of Gale, Kirk, Wheelahan, Alexander and Jones in their squad so won't fall away dramatically. Blokes like Stead, Liddy, Wilson and Thorton-Gielen will step up into the first XI.

Come round 1, there is every change that the Allen brothers might still be at Melton . Geisler will be a loss but the other 3 are easily replaceable as YWL suggests.

Kudos to Woody for coming to a fellow clubs defence in response to some wild accusations from Westland who it seems, has gone to gossip monger.

I'm tipping he didn't speak to anybody at Melton regarding the loss of their major sponsor before he trotted out that drivel.

Come round 1, there is every change that the Allen brothers might still be at Melton . Geisler will be a loss but the other 3 are easily replaceable as YWL suggests.

Kudos to Woody for coming to a fellow clubs defence in response to some wild accusations from Westland who it seems, has gone to gossip monger.

I'm tipping he didn't speak to anybody at Melton regarding the loss of their major sponsor before he trotted out that drivel.

You are way off the mark. I knew nothing of the departures until YWL's post on p74. And, in my post I said I knew nothing about the Allen's. The only one of the 6 I commented on was Giesler in discussion with Darley. The matter of the loss of the club's major sponsor has been known around the traps over here for some time. If Melton folk disagree, they are quite at liberty to correct my understanding of this matter by posting on this forum.

"around the traps", eh!! So you can confirm Melton's major sponsor "walked" because he wasn't given the President's position?

I repeat, that you never got that from anyone at Melton, BECAUSE IT'S BULLSHIT!!!!!!.

What can we look forward to next, a comprehensive report of fashions on the field?

"around the traps", eh!! So you can confirm Melton's major sponsor "walked" because he wasn't given the President's position?

I repeat, that you never got that from anyone at Melton, BECAUSE IT'S BULLSHIT!!!!!!.

What can we look forward to next, a comprehensive report of fashions on the field?

Have you lost a bit of connection with the goings on at Melton?

I won't pass comment on the situation of Melton Presidency as I don't want to drag a mates name out on this forum and betray confidences but I don't think Westland's too far off the mark on this one.

I had heard ''around the traps'' about the major sponsor (a Willy resident) before YWL's post on p74. That prompted me to contact Melton sources who have in the past always been correct. Time will tell. Can't understand why you are so het up. It's not the end of the world! You have lost a sense of proportion.

Back