Subbies Thread

In regards to Ben's post about commenting on Melton's situation and then also hiding behind alias' I think the responses have been spot on. We are not dealing in rumours and innuendo, you will find when the season comes around that those six players will not be in Melton's 1st XI for round 1. That is fact and surely we are allowed to comment on that. And as far as the alias' are concerned most people on here know who each other are, I could name four or five people on here so I don't think having to use each other by a first name basis is totally necessary. Good luck to Melton in their search for new players, they will get some across the line and still have the likes of Gale, Kirk, Wheelahan, Alexander and Jones in their squad so won't fall away dramatically. Blokes like Stead, Liddy, Wilson and Thorton-Gielen will step up into the first XI.

"That is fact and surely we are allowed to comment on that."????

YWL - it is fact is it that the 6 Melton players named are departing the club before Season start 2015/2016. Fact?

I find this utterly amazing that this is positioned as "fact". News to me.

Some may know of the deep personal friendship (having nothing to do with cricket) between members of my RPBCC Exec (myself and Pas) and the Melton Exec. Resultant of these relationships, I would be bullish enough to suggest that I would have a fair idea as to what may be going on at Melton as they would have a similar idea as to what may be occurring behind closed doors at the RPBCC. For all intents and purposes, I consider Melton a brother club to the RPBCC and on many occasions in the past decade have sought their counsel, advice and guidance.

As such, all said - let me be 100% clear here, you are advising the cricket community via a public forum that it is a categoric and unequivocal fact that the 6 named Melton 1st XI players are departing before Season start? Absolute news to me and sources for YWL must be an unknown controlling power that sits over and above the Melton Exec as I would suggest that this would be news to them as well.

Let me again restate my original position of concern. The VSDCA is currently entrenched in a battle to ensure and/or maintain it's unique value proposition and brand within metropolitan turf cricket and we are purporting (as fact) rumour and innuendo of player departure, Committee/Benefactor disagreement, etc of a peer club. I wouldn't like reading espoused nonsense about my own club and dare suggest others would be aggrieved reading similar about their own clubs as well.

It is also insinuated that the players concerned would be moving on due to a drying up of money. This tarnishes the players concerned as well as club and I find it without tact or class when it comes to a peer club of ours. I have the utmost respect for some of the players mentioned and a respect, beyond reproach, for the Melton heirachy and feel that insinuations of remuneration motivations to both parties is grossly unfair and unreasonable. Again, we have no idea of the understanding and motivation of certain individuals to play where they do...

The 2014-15 pitch ratings are now available via the CV Pitch Awards tab on the subbies home page and justify the criticism by several posters of the poor standard of Broady's pitch. In the opinion of the umpires, the lowest ranking in the entire comp. As one poster remarked, Mitch will find a difference at Werribee given its favourable rating. Given all the effort by Ben and co in recent years they are deserving of better Council support. I know that is an area where angels fear to tread, but an improvement is needed.

Thankyou for this post Westland and I appreciate the recognition that it is being afforded my hard working Exec with regards to the work we have done in recent years.

Just to clarify a few points though with regards to the wicket (appreciating that you have greater expertise in this field than I):

- the support afforded the RPBCC by the Hume City Council is 2nd to none. From a $170k spend to convert the wicket table to turf, a $300k spend on new carparking and a $1m budget allocation to improved Social Rooms, the RPBCC could not be any more appreciative of the Council support it is afforded by Hume and the relationships we hold with Council

- curation of the club's 2 Hume based grounds is managed by a club employed resource (not by Hume Council resource)

- challenges with the wicket table were evident in Ratings for the first 2/3rds of Season 14/15. By the end of the Season, marked improvement had been achieved which culminated in home Semi Final ratings of an 8 (day 1) and (day 2) as well as a rating of 9 (both days) for the Grand Final

- our curator works tirelessly on both wicket tables and Season 1 of the newly laid Lakeside was fairly placid. I need position that I am certainly no turf expert but I have been lead to understand that Season 2 of a newly laid turf table is always problematic as the wicket settles down. As such, we should see marked improvements in the coming Season with regards to the Lakeside wicket and a better balance between bat and ball.

YWL - it is fact is it that the 6 Melton players named are departing the club before Season start 2015/2016. Fact?

Some may know of the deep personal friendship (having nothing to do with cricket) between members of my RPBCC Exec (myself and Pas) and the Melton Exec. Resultant of these relationships, I would be bullish enough to suggest that I would have a fair idea as to what may be going on at Melton as they would have a similar idea as to what may be occurring behind closed doors at the RPBCC. For all intents and purposes, I consider Melton a brother club to the RPBCC and on many occasions in the past decade have sought their counsel, advice and guidance.

As such, all said - let me be 100% clear here, you are advising the cricket community via a public forum that it is a categoric and unequivocal fact that the 6 named Melton 1st XI players are departing before Season start? Absolute news to me and sources for YWL must be an unknown controlling power that sits over and above the Melton Exec as I would suggest that this would be news to them as well.

Let me again restate my original position of concern. The VSDCA is currently entrenched in a battle to ensure and/or maintain it's unique value proposition and brand within metropolitan turf cricket and we are purporting (as fact) rumour and innuendo of player departure, Committee/Benefactor disagreement, etc of a peer club. I wouldn't like reading espoused nonsense about my own club and dare suggest others would be aggrieved reading similar about their own clubs as well.

It is also insinuated that the players concerned would be moving on due to a drying up of money. This tarnishes the players concerned as well as club and I find it without tact or class when it comes to a peer club of ours. I have the utmost respect for some of the players mentioned and a respect, beyond reproach, for the Melton heirachy and feel that insinuations of remuneration motivations to both parties is grossly unfair and unreasonable. Again, we have no idea of the understanding and motivation of certain individuals to play where they do...

By the same token, you shouldn't take yourself too seriously. These forums are here partly as an area to share rumours. Post/Pre-season especially. As long as everyone is taking these rumours with a pinch of shit, and as long as they are not casting aspersions and tarnishing people's reputations then I don't see the issue.

Many times these rumours turn out to be true. Many more times they don't. This forum is here to discuss the VSDCA, and player movements falls under that umbrella.

Ben, whilst I agree that the topic is a little salacious, I do believe the same questions would have come up in round 1 when the team sheet was published as they have now. Discussion is inevitable and usually a healthy thing as long as sources have been checked and people aren't deliberately making stuff up (I don't think that is the case here). The back pages of this forum are littered with examples of people querying a number of other clubs where there are lots of "mates playing with mates" and there are an equal number of rebuttals. Rather than trying to censor people, please consider reporting back to the VSDCA that perhaps it's time the points system was revisited. I have previously stated my view that you can't leave this type of decision to the clubs, VSDCA need to act. Last but not least, and you will probably take this the wrong way, give some thought as to whether you need to become the self-appointed guardian angel of all things subbies. It's not a great look from where I sit, but that's just my opinion.

I had heard ''around the traps'' about the major sponsor (a Willy resident) before YWL's post on p74. That prompted me to contact Melton sources who have in the past always been correct. Time will tell. Can't understand why you are so het up. It's not the end of the world! You have lost a sense of proportion.
I'll tell you why I'm so "het up". It's because we have a club who is currently in the running to be admitted to Premier Cricket and is being subjected to unsubstantiated rumour and heresay.

YWL is correct when he asks if I have lost a bit of connection to the club over the last couple of years, but let me tell you, I am a lot more connected than Westland, and I repeat the major sponsor walking under the terms outlaid by him, IS BULLSHIT!!!

Commercial arrangements with sponsors are always finite and I know (for a fact) that the arrangement was initially for 3 years and was "rolled over" on two more occasions.

Let's see how the situation unfolds going forward and hope one of our Powerhouse clubs over the past decade is successful in their bid to be accepted.

Don't have to make this into a tit for tat and trying to make this into something bigger than it is. At the end of the day it is subbies cricket and although we all love it, there is a lot more to life. Congrats on the great relationship you have with Melton, I also have respect for the Club that won premierships in every XI for a 3 or 4 year period. Things happen at Club's people have fall outs and the money that is going into an upgrade of Maccy Park is going to have an impact on the Club and I along with others are just passing comment on what we have heard which is what is done on every issue on this forum.

Just step back and take a breath and if in Round 1 the names of M. Allen, N. Allen and N.Geisler appear on the team sheet you can then pot me but for now just wait and see. A lot of the things reported on here by the people posting have turned out to be spot on. I will not say I told you so if it does eventuate as I won't take any pleasure in the situation. Cool your jets!

Thankyou for this post Westland and I appreciate the recognition that it is being afforded my hard working Exec with regards to the work we have done in recent years.

Just to clarify a few points though with regards to the wicket (appreciating that you have greater expertise in this field than I):

- the support afforded the RPBCC by the Hume City Council is 2nd to none. From a $170k spend to convert the wicket table to turf, a $300k spend on new carparking and a $1m budget allocation to improved Social Rooms, the RPBCC could not be any more appreciative of the Council support it is afforded by Hume and the relationships we hold with Council

- curation of the club's 2 Hume based grounds is managed by a club employed resource (not by Hume Council resource)

- challenges with the wicket table were evident in Ratings for the first 2/3rds of Season 14/15. By the end of the Season, marked improvement had been achieved which culminated in home Semi Final ratings of an 8 (day 1) and (day 2) as well as a rating of 9 (both days) for the Grand Final

- our curator works tirelessly on both wicket tables and Season 1 of the newly laid Lakeside was fairly placid. I need position that I am certainly no turf expert but I have been lead to understand that Season 2 of a newly laid turf table is always problematic as the wicket settles down. As such, we should see marked improvements in the coming Season with regards to the Lakeside wicket and a better balance between bat and ball.

That's fantastic news Ben and thanks for providing such a comprehensive report.

Wouldn't have thought that I am positioning myself as the guardian angel of all things VSDCA, not in the least.

In fact, in the last 4 years, there has only been 3 occasions as to where I have felt a need to comment on anything within this forum; 1) in defence of an uneducated and prejudiced attack on my Captain/Coach of the time and close personal friend of 15+ years, Jody Hutchinson, 2) when certain comments were made with regards to the 14/15 Grand Final wicket at Lakeside Reserve, and 3) the most recent example where I (personally) feel that certain developments at Melton were being misrepresented.

In a 4 year period that I have held a BigCricket account, my total posts would be limited to a dozen total and covering the 3 subjects (as above) exclusively. As such, we probably conclude that 1) I will defend the club for whom I have been President for 12 years only when I feel the need arises, and 2) I will come to the defence of those that I have personal relationships with where I have misgivings as to how they are being represented. I don't involve myself in any of the other musings/observations/rumour mongering, etc even when I know content to be devoid of fact.

All said, no offence taken with the perception that I am positioning myself as a moral or ethical guardian of all things VSDCA but, rather, more simply - I have proven myself to defend club as well as personal relationships where I have felt the need arose. Furthermore, anyone who knows me certainly knows and appreciates that I have zero interest in the public perception of myself and that I do not represent the views and opinions of VSDCA but, rather, I would imagine my reputation being that of someone who is unfiltered and passionate in his views when it is something close to his heart (outside that - none of my business).

Anyone thinking that I would be positioning myself as a moral guardian clearly hasn't played against me or any side that I have Captained as I am the last individual with any right to take the moral and ethical highground on all things cricket. I'm sure SS can speak to a game out at Kingston 3 years ago as evidence to the fact that I certainly have no intention of positioning myself as a moral guardian of all that can be considered good and ethical in cricket.

I'll tell you why I'm so "het up". It's because we have a club who is currently in the running to be admitted to Premier Cricket and is being subjected to unsubstantiated rumour and heresay.

YWL is correct when he asks if I have lost a bit of connection to the club over the last couple of years, but let me tell you, I am a lot more connected than Westland, and I repeat the major sponsor walking under the terms outlaid by him, IS BULLSHIT!!!

Commercial arrangements with sponsors are always finite and I know (for a fact) that the arrangement was initially for 3 years and was "rolled over" on two more occasions.

Let's see how the situation unfolds going forward and hope one of our Powerhouse clubs over the past decade is successful in their bid to be accepted.

I believe my initial post on this matter made it clear I was relying on third parties. I took their advice in good faith because they have always been correct in the past. I have never claimed to have first-hand knowledge and, in my second post on this matter said I have never had any connection with Melton. I think I have been upfront in all respects in this matter. I will let the forum be the judge. There is nothing further I can add.

Wouldn't have thought that I am positioning myself as the guardian angel of all things VSDCA, not in the least.

In fact, in the last 4 years, there has only been 3 occasions as to where I have felt a need to comment on anything within this forum; 1) in defence of an uneducated and prejudiced attack on my Captain/Coach of the time and close personal friend of 15+ years, Jody Hutchinson, 2) when certain comments were made with regards to the 14/15 Grand Final wicket at Lakeside Reserve, and 3) the most recent example where I (personally) feel that certain developments at Melton were being misrepresented.

In a 4 year period that I have held a BigCricket account, my total posts would be limited to a dozen total and covering the 3 subjects (as above) exclusively. As such, we probably conclude that 1) I will defend the club for whom I have been President for 12 years only when I feel the need arises, and 2) I will come to the defence of those that I have personal relationships with where I have misgivings as to how they are being represented. I don't involve myself in any of the other musings/observations/rumour mongering, etc even when I know content to be devoid of fact.

All said, no offence taken with the perception that I am positioning myself as a moral or ethical guardian of all things VSDCA but, rather, more simply - I have proven myself to defend club as well as personal relationships where I have felt the need arose. Furthermore, anyone who knows me certainly knows and appreciates that I have zero interest in the public perception of myself and that I do not represent the views and opinions of VSDCA but, rather, I would imagine my reputation being that of someone who is unfiltered and passionate in his views when it is something close to his heart (outside that - none of my business).

Anyone thinking that I would be positioning myself as a moral guardian clearly hasn't played against me or any side that I have Captained as I am the last individual with any right to take the moral and ethical highground on all things cricket. I'm sure SS can speak to a game out at Kingston 3 years ago as evidence to the fact that I certainly have no intention of positioning myself as a moral guardian of all that can be considered good and ethical in cricket.

When you (a) use your own name, and (b) are the President of a club, there really isn't much you can comment on. So, the question then becomes is it a good idea to comment on anything at all?

I can attest to Ben's position as a 'non-moral guardian' that day and can add 2 things 1/ I am the last person to be having a go about on field behaviour and 2/ it was very amusing!

When you (a) use your own name, and (b) are the President of a club, there really isn't much you can comment on. So, the question then becomes is it a good idea to comment on anything at all?

Apologies - somewhat confused by this RTG.

As above positioned in my earlier reply, in 4 years as a member of this forum, there has been 3 topics only that I have availed an opinion on; 1) untruths and misrepresentations with regards to RPBCC Captain/Coach of the time, Jody Hutchinson, 2) defence of a Lakeside Reserve 14/15 Grand Final wicket that received Ratings on both days of the GF of 9, and 3) defence of representations of going's on at the Melton Cricket Club that I know to be untrue.

As President of a VSDCA club, are you suggesting that am I tarnishing my club's or the Association's brand by defending my club, leaders of my club or a brethren VSDCA club for whom I have the utmost respect and know positioning put forward in a public domain to be untrue???

I have NEVER spoken as to circumstances of another club, VSDCA players, Cricket Victoria turf cricket revamp, etc. I have never defamed an individual or club.

All this noted, you are essentially contending that it's not a good look for me, as Club President, to defend my club, on-field leaders of my club or another VSDCA club who I feel was being unfairly tarnished in a balanced and articulate manner?

I wouldn't have thought that anything said by myself, limited to 3 subjects, is damaging to either my club, other VSDCA clubs or the VSDCA as a whole but, hey, if the 300 club members of the Falcons don't want a President who will stand up, publicly, for the club, its on-field leaders or other VSDCA clubs - then they are free to vote in a new President in 3 weeks time at the club's AGM. Having a reasonably good feel for the "pulse" of club membership, I would suggest that the RPBCC members are reasonably comfortable with a President that has always stood up for what I consider right (noting that I have never tarnished nor tore down any other club or player).

Like I said, not a good look from where I sit. Melton can defend themselves if they see the need but doubt they will as most people take what they read here with a grain of salt. If a story on here turns out to be true then kudos to the writer but until it becomes fact then it's just another story. As pointed out by others, players come and go, sponsors come and go, and if you don't believe it is possible people use money to influence then you are living in a different world to the rest of us. Can't see the other 26 Presidents jumping on here making their statements either. You keep doing what you believe you need to do.

Like I said, not a good look from where I sit. Melton can defend themselves if they see the need but doubt they will as most people take what they read here with a grain of salt. If a story on here turns out to be true then kudos to the writer but until it becomes fact then it's just another story. As pointed out by others, players come and go, sponsors come and go, and if you don't believe it is possible people use money to influence then you are living in a different world to the rest of us. Can't see the other 26 Presidents jumping on here making their statements either. You keep doing what you believe you need to do.

Agree - I will keep doing what I believe that I need to do and the other VSDCA President's can do as they believe is best in similar situations. I don't hide who I am nor if I have an opinion that I believe needs be expressed in defence of my club or individuals of my club delivered in a balanced and articulate manner.

I can assure you that if people don't like me as a result of providing facts in defence of my club that I will still sleep easily at night.

In regards to Ben's post about commenting on Melton's situation and then also hiding behind alias' I think the responses have been spot on. We are not dealing in rumours and innuendo, you will find when the season comes around that those six players will not be in Melton's 1st XI for round 1. That is fact and surely we are allowed to comment on that. And as far as the alias' are concerned most people on here know who each other are, I could name four or five people on here so I don't think having to use each other by a first name basis is totally necessary. Good luck to Melton in their search for new players, they will get some across the line and still have the likes of Gale, Kirk, Wheelahan, Alexander and Jones in their squad so won't fall away dramatically. Blokes like Stead, Liddy, Wilson and Thorton-Gielen will step up into the first XI.

We have had debate on hiding behind usernames before, and it my recollection there was then general consensus it was advisable because the posts represented our own views, and it should not be assumed they were the views of our clubs. Weapons revealed my name on this forum and my response was it mattered little as regular posters know anyone really interested in knowing who they are will find out.

Apologies - somewhat confused by this RTG.

As above positioned in my earlier reply, in 4 years as a member of this forum, there has been 3 topics only that I have availed an opinion on; 1) untruths and misrepresentations with regards to RPBCC Captain/Coach of the time, Jody Hutchinson, 2) defence of a Lakeside Reserve 14/15 Grand Final wicket that received Ratings on both days of the GF of 9, and 3) defence of representations of going's on at the Melton Cricket Club that I know to be untrue.

As President of a VSDCA club, are you suggesting that am I tarnishing my club's or the Association's brand by defending my club, leaders of my club or a brethren VSDCA club for whom I have the utmost respect and know positioning put forward in a public domain to be untrue???

I have NEVER spoken as to circumstances of another club, VSDCA players, Cricket Victoria turf cricket revamp, etc. I have never defamed an individual or club.

All this noted, you are essentially contending that it's not a good look for me, as Club President, to defend my club, on-field leaders of my club or another VSDCA club who I feel was being unfairly tarnished in a balanced and articulate manner?

I wouldn't have thought that anything said by myself, limited to 3 subjects, is damaging to either my club, other VSDCA clubs or the VSDCA as a whole but, hey, if the 300 club members of the Falcons don't want a President who will stand up, publicly, for the club, its on-field leaders or other VSDCA clubs - then they are free to vote in a new President in 3 weeks time at the club's AGM. Having a reasonably good feel for the "pulse" of club membership, I would suggest that the RPBCC members are reasonably comfortable with a President that has always stood up for what I consider right (noting that I have never tarnished nor tore down any other club or player).

Can't believe I just wasted valuable time reading that 'articulate' piece of writing.

Back