Subbies Thread

Still amazed that KS have left Subbies and basically will cease to exist. Always a great club to play across the grades. Word is that no one really wants the new club to succeed so that the 3 NW subbies clubs will be able to move into Premier rather than making 2/3 decision. Hopefully if this happens the KS can re=establish and come back to Subbies . Looking at South the division has become even more competitive. KS replaced by Oakleigh. Moorabbin have announced a few and other power clubs have picked up recruits. I know another South club is pretty happy with recruits and will make announcements soon. Looks like Subbies is almost self dividing into divisions !! West looking very strong.
Well if the new club falls over which I hope dosnt no way will Kingston Saints reform and go back into subbies and even if they try to get up again there will be in a new reform league/comp , VTCA or DDCA

Note in the article in Wyndham leader that Hoppers Crossing have no new recruits but all players from last season are " contracted". What does this mean ? VTCA has different eligibility regulations.

Well they voted for it

In the subbies they would enjoy the seasonal rotation concept. The lengthy dominance of the Yarraville Club C C in the VTCA's Senior Division cannot have been helpful for clubs participating in that division. The team player points cap of 39 can only go so far in evening out the competition for the practical reason that not all Senior Division clubs can afford to recruit the number of players to give rise to the salary cap for their senior team being a problem for them. That said, I still favour it to the subbies 2 paid player cap for, as shortnwide has pointed out, its lack of transparency means ''the brown paper bag'' is rife in the subbies. Due to the dividend having been phased out, I think now is an appropriate time for the subbies executive to revisit the appropiateness of its existing player payment cap.
In your earlier post you suggested CV has bought into Hoppers expression of interest. Are you in a position to provide more detail?

Note in the article in Wyndham leader that Hoppers Crossing have no new recruits but all players from last season are " contracted". What does this mean ? VTCA has different eligibility regulations.
Its a good point you bring up. VSDCA might be well advised to check the terms of these players' "contracts"?

Its a good point you bring up. VSDCA might be well advised to check the terms of these players' "contracts"?

In theory, you may have a point, but the reality is the subbies will wish to replace the loss of the Kingston Saints. I therefore do not expect there will be any inclination by the subbies executive to investigate the ''contracts''.

In the subbies they would enjoy the seasonal rotation concept. The lengthy dominance of the Yarraville Club C C in the VTCA's Senior Division cannot have been helpful for clubs participating in that division. The team player points cap of 39 can only go so far in evening out the competition for the practical reason that not all Senior Division clubs can afford to recruit the number of players to give rise to the salary cap for their senior team being a problem for them. That said, I still favour it to the subbies 2 paid player cap for, as shortnwide has pointed out, its lack of transparency means ''the brown paper bag'' is rife in the subbies. Due to the dividend having been phased out, I think now is an appropriate time for the subbies executive to revisit the appropiateness of its existing player payment cap.
In your earlier post you suggested CV has bought into Hoppers expression of interest. Are you in a position to provide more detail?

Reference to ''salary cap'' in the 4th sentence should read ''39 team player points cap''. My apologies.

If Premier 20 goes ahead, do you think it would be a good move by the subbies to seek the replacement of the 2 clubs lost by asking South Caulfied and the Yarraville Club C C if they would be interested in transferring? They appear to be the dominant clubs of late in the VTCA's Senior Division. Would they be welcome additions in your view?

If Premier 20 goes ahead, do you think it would be a good move by the subbies to seek the replacement of the 2 clubs lost by asking South Caulfied and the Yarraville Club C C if they would be interested in transferring? They appear to be the dominant clubs of late in the VTCA's Senior Division. Would they be welcome additions in your view?
South Caulfield would be a strong addition to Subbies, good facilities and good junior program (they assure me)

Yarraville club would have some hurdles to climb, where would they play, what would they call themselves etc but they know how to win and they have the resources to enable them to be a strong club in a very short time. Hoppers are in the same boat and should be the first cab off the rank to replace Kingston Saints. If you're good enough to be short listed for Premier Cricket consideration, then you should be a walk up start for Subbies.

South Caulfield are strong are getting there 2nd ground upgraded with new turf table irrigation and drainage but are sharing 2nd ground with Carnegie atm so new arrangements will need to be made

South Caulfield are strong are getting there 2nd ground upgraded with new turf table irrigation and drainage but are sharing 2nd ground with Carnegie atm so new arrangements will need to be made
South Caulfield also only have 3 Saturday senior teams, Beaumaris & McKinnon have four Saturday teams, equally good facility's and even stronger junior set ups... Would have a case, especially Beauy with no subbies clubs around them..

South Caulfield would be a strong addition to Subbies, good facilities and good junior program (they assure me)

Yarraville club would have some hurdles to climb, where would they play, what would they call themselves etc but they know how to win and they have the resources to enable them to be a strong club in a very short time. Hoppers are in the same boat and should be the first cab off the rank to replace Kingston Saints. If you're good enough to be short listed for Premier Cricket consideration, then you should be a walk up start for Subbies.

Agree Hoppers should be the replacement for KS. Subbies approval a formality I would hope. I am familiar with the grounds, facilities and, to an extent, the strength of administration at both Hoppers and Werribee and believe Hoppers is worthy of comparison. I like the fact it has a ground set up similar to Maccy Park which Werribee cannot offer. Werribee's Chirnside Park is a terrific facility, but it is always used by the WRFL for its senior finals leaving just days for pitch renovation prior to the commencement date. Inclusion in the subbies would do no harm to Hoppers in putting forward its case as the more suitable of the two for a Premier Cricket licence. But whether getting into the subbies is part of its strategy in promoting its credentials for Premier, I have absolutely no idea. The subbies comp would be no worse off given it would be a case of either one or the other into Premier.

Back