Subbies Thread

Quiney grew up at Washington Park, that's probably on his agenda at some stage - whether it's next year or not I'm not sure.
Does Hastings have a BBL contract still for next year? He looked far below his best this year, but if he's still playing BBL you'd imagine he'd play Premier cricket again. Although if the mooted changes to Premier T20 occur then there's opportunities for him to get his games in midweek and Sundays.

Hastings is a friend of Chris Weeks and Mick Kellihier, considering the amount of money Kew are currently paying their players it would be highly unlikely that they’d be able to afford him.

Are clubs that don't have the big bucks to spend, and likely never will, now relegated to making up the numbers in a comp that doesn't have a promotion and relegation system? We are all well aware that the outlays by some clubs on players are astronomical and well beyond that which many subbies clubs can ever aspire to.

Are clubs that don't have the big bucks to spend, and likely never will, now relegated to making up the numbers in a comp that doesn't have a promotion and relegation system? We are all well aware that the outlays by some clubs on players are astronomical and well beyond that which many subbies clubs can ever aspire to.

I certainly think so, looking at the club championship standings each season there is a clear trend, teams up the top of it are the ones with the big cheque books (probably minus Oakleigh who do not generally pay large sums) the ones at the foot of the table don’t have 2 cents to rub together.

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet but throwing it out there for 'constructive comments'; what about a 3-day Grand Final, Sat/Sun/Sat? You need to win on first innings and gives an opportunity for teams to win on the 2nd inning as well.

I know there are definitely logistics to be worked through (might need to start finals a week earlier); however, does create an element of 'best of the best' to it.

You could also throw away the 1st week of Finals and make it a Top 4.

Or have a Reserve Day.

It is the ''Australian Way'' to place particular emphasis on the GF. However, I think clubs will not seek to change the existing finals format relying on the fact covers make the possibility of a GF being completely washed out unlikely. Covers for finals need to apply to all grades despite the inconvenience for lower divisions. It is obvious the absence of a reserve day in the interests of squeezing in as much cricket as possible for as many teams as possible is pushing one's luck from time-to-time. 16 teams, as pointed out by brightboy, would open the possibility of copying the Premier Cricket format. That said, I think of greater relevance in seeking to expand the competition is to arrive at the position where it has the critical mass to permit a credible promotion and relegation system.

It is the ''Australian Way'' to place particular emphasis on the GF. However, I think clubs will not seek to change the existing finals format relying on the fact covers make the possibility of a GF being completely washed out unlikely. Covers for finals need to apply to all grades despite the inconvenience for lower divisions. It is obvious the absence of a reserve day in the interests of squeezing in as much cricket as possible for as many teams as possible is pushing one's luck from time-to-time. 16 teams, as pointed out by brightboy, would open the possibility of copying the Premier Cricket format. That said, I think of greater relevance in seeking to expand the competition is to arrive at the position where it has the critical mass to permit a credible promotion and relegation system.
There are too stubborn for that.

Hearing that Hoppers Crossing are making a huge play for Trent Lawford

Has anyone from the wild west got any further info on this?
Was at the premier cricket final over the weekend and speaking to people it sounds like he's played his last game at Fitzroy Doncaster. He played T20s for Hoppers I know that much, assume VTCA clubs like Yarraville are going at him hard too. Hoppers do have a sporting club approach (i.e. pokies, bar etc.) so big dollars are certainly not out of the question!

would be an ideal fit for a club like Hoppers,30y.o,all rounder,huge hitter,and to think he was going round with Wyndhamvale in the old Willy comp 5 years ago.
Certainly had a meteoric rise.

would be an ideal fit for a club like Hoppers,30y.o,all rounder,huge hitter,and to think he was going round with Wyndhamvale in the old Willy comp 5 years ago.

Would need $50k minimum to get him across

A few clubs have already offered that - 1 in PC and the other 2 within the VTCA

I note VTCA Yarraville (the clubbers) have yet again won the Senior Division GF in what is now only an 8 team division with the majority just making up the numbers. What challenges are left for it if it remains in the VTCA? Do you think it may be a prospect for the subbies expansion plans? This would not, I assume, be welcomed by Yarraville (subbies).

I note VTCA Yarraville (the clubbers) have yet again won the Senior Division GF in what is now only an 8 team division with the majority just making up the numbers. What challenges are left for it if it remains in the VTCA? Do you think it may be a prospect for the subbies expansion plans? This would not, I assume, be welcomed by Yarraville (subbies).

I don’t they’ll go anywhere until the CV re-structure, I daresay that the VSDCA have most likely already approached them.

50k - that is ridiculous money for local cricket[/QUOTE

I absolutely agree. Even 25K x 2 is a huge outlay given other players in a club that can offer this type of money will also be on its payroll. I wonder what the Moorabbin stalwarts trying to save the club and the Endeavour Hills people working to resolve its financial difficulties make of reading posts such as this? They could hardly be blamed if they conclude the subbies is no longer the relevant competition for them and a CV re-structure cannot come soon enough. It also sends a message to prospective new clubs that unless you have big bucks you will be unlikely to be top in the top quartile.

What do we think most clubs would spend on players per year? I'd have it as around $15-$20k once you take into account the "junior/development coach" who likely hasn't been to a juniors session in their time at the club. Who pays the most? The least?

What do we think most clubs would spend on players per year? I'd have it as around $15-$20k once you take into account the "junior/development coach" who likely hasn't been to a juniors session in their time at the club. Who pays the most? The least?

with the $15-$20k you have mentioned above, is this for the entire group of paid players?

if so, I think you would be way off and that figure at some clubs would likely be in the amount of $50k

Brun$wick and PV would be at the top of the chain with respect to payments.

with the $15-$20k you have mentioned above, is this for the entire group of paid players?

if so, I think you would be way off and that figure at some clubs would likely be in the amount of $50k

Brun$wick and PV would be at the top of the chain with respect to payments.

Brunswick Kew and Caulfield clearly more than anyone in the comp.. PV, Williamstown and Yarraville not far behind.

Brunswick Kew and Caulfield would well and truly be over 50k

Back