The BaggyGreens Thread

It was our forgotten seamer, Josh Hazlewood in his first Test match in six months who summoned that something special to bring a rampant Stokes to the floor. After he went it was just a matter of mopping up.

England can go and get stuffed. Can't wait to beat these smug flogs at Headingley and retain The Ashes.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Holy ******** it’s such an overreaction.

It’s barely even that controversial, he walked out of his crease AFTER Carey had immediately thrown the ball at the stumps.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this toxic group of poms are just salty af that they’re losing 2-0 at home and are deflecting scrutiny instead of embracing it and reflecting on what they did wrong.

One of the things that’s annoyed me the most is McCullum saying “we won’t be having drinks anytime soon”, it’s just so ************** childish and pathetic.

This game should’ve been a 200 run victory if stokes wasn’t a freak.

It’s so funny though, the interviewer asking Cummins if he’s going to revert to underarm considering he “doesn’t care about the spirit of cricket” really just underlines this whole thing for me. Underarm is AGAINST THE LAWS OF CRICKET, it is not a spirit of cricket thing anymore and hasn’t been for a long time, it is genuinely illegal and you can not do it. These people are criticising and frankly abusing players for a completely legal dismissal when they don’t even know the rules that they, the MCC (lords), agreed on and voted for.

What’s more is that the hypocrisy of the spirit of cricket claims is insane.

Here’s the spirit of cricket officially written by the MCC:

“Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Play hard and play fair.

Accept the umpire’s decision.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.”

Not ONCE did Australia break these rules in either match. But England most certainly did break SEVERAL of these pseudo-laws. The first respect one is obvious, broad not respecting the umpire, the entire members section not respecting the Aussie team, McCullum being an absolute ********. I’ll give them the second one. Broad being a cry baby about the umpires decision. That was the opposite of a positive atmosphere and Broad just wound it up even more by being a cry baby. Bairstow lacked discipline by walking out of his crease lmao. England largely just not accepting Australia’s victory and instead complaining about a perfectly legal dismissal.

It’s barely even that controversial, he walked out of his crease AFTER Carey had immediately thrown the ball at the stumps.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this toxic group of poms are just salty af that they’re losing 2-0 at home and are deflecting scrutiny instead of embracing it and reflecting on what they did wrong.

One of the things that’s annoyed me the most is McCullum saying “we won’t be having drinks anytime soon”, it’s just so ************** childish and pathetic.

It’s so funny though, the interviewer asking Cummins if he’s going to revert to underarm considering he “doesn’t care about the spirit of cricket” really just underlines this whole thing for me. Underarm is AGAINST THE LAWS OF CRICKET, it is not a spirit of cricket thing anymore and hasn’t been for a long time, it is genuinely illegal and you can not do it. These people are criticising and frankly abusing players for a completely legal dismissal when they don’t even know the rules that they, the MCC (lords), agreed on and voted for.

Play hard and play fair.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.”

Not ONCE did Australia break these rules in either match. But England most certainly did break SEVERAL of these pseudo-laws. The first respect one is obvious, broad not respecting the umpire, the entire members section not respecting the Aussie team, McCullum being an absolute ********. I’ll give them the second one. Broad being a cry baby about the umpires decision. That was the opposite of a positive atmosphere and Broad just wound it up even more by being a cry baby. Bairstow lacked discipline by walking out of his crease lmao. England largely just not accepting Australia’s victory and instead complaining about a perfectly legal dismissal.
Same old England. Always whingeing.

Play hard and play fair.

Oh and I’ll just add to this, unlike mankading that was actually originally in the “unfair play” section of the laws up until recently, this dismissal has no place or relation to anything mentioned in unfair play.

England team show themselves to be a pack of hypocritical whingers

What a pack of sanctimonious sore losers. The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score, writes Dean Ritchie.

What a pack of sanctimonious sore losers. The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score, writes Dean Ritchie.

Dean Ritchie

July 3, 2023 - 5:08PM

What a pack of sanctimonious, miserable, sore losers.

England’s cry-baby reaction to a fair dismissal in the Lord’s cricket Test has shown their national cricket team to be hypocritical, pompous whingers.

Alex Carey’s stumping of a vague Jonny Bairstow was legal, moral and, ultimately, a match-winner.

The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score. That’s right, it’s two-nil.

Remember Stuart Broad clearly edging an Ashton Agar delivery to first slip at Trent Bridge in 2013 and refusing to walk?

Remember Broad laughing and celebrating when England ran out New Zealand’s Colin de Grandhomme, who walked out of his crease, last year?

Remember on day three when Bairstow, a wicketkeeper, attempted to stump Marnus Labuschagne in exactly the same manner?

And remember England’s head coach, the already under-pressure Brendon McCullum, throwing down the stumps of a batsmen unaware the ball hadn’t yet been declared dead? Oh, and he did that three times in 2005, 2006 and 2009.

England’s posturing and pretence smacks of two-faced double standards. Carey’s actions were quick-thinking, instinctive and well within the perimeters of cricket’s rules.

Brendon McCullum threw the stumps down multiple times during his career as a wicketkeeper, but now it’s not in the spirit of the game?

Did you hear Australian players moan and sob when Mitchell Starc was denied a fair catch in the outfield on day four?

As one journalist wrote: “Turns out the ‘spirit of cricket’ only applies when England says so.”

This non-event was concocted by a team under excruciating pressure for employing a failing new attacking style of play.

Their aggressive batting style – nicknamed Bazball after coach McCallum – is floundering.

And those Lord’s members who want to be known as the aristocratic elite have shown themselves to be mere commoners like the rest of us.

Imagine the silver spoon Long Room faithful, wearing suits and ties, actually taunting, jostling and abusing opposition players? Oh how utterly ashamed they must feel from their distinguished and affluent abodes in Mayfair and Knightsbridge.

And it’s strange how the seemingly all white pavilion appeared to target Usman Khawaja, Australia’s Muslim opening batsman.

The entire episode was shameful and mean-spirited. Lord’s once regal image now belongs in a hearse.

Those pretentious snobs are no better than the Aussie scallywags that once sat on the roughhouse SCG Hill and Bay 13 in Melbourne.

Good Lord, Lord’s.

Last edited:

Dean Ritchie

July 3, 2023 - 5:08PM

What a pack of sanctimonious, miserable, sore losers.

England’s cry-baby reaction to a fair dismissal in the Lord’s cricket Test has shown their national cricket team to be hypocritical, pompous whingers.

Alex Carey’s stumping of a vague Jonny Bairstow was legal, moral and, ultimately, a match-winner.

The protesting Poms can have a two finger salute – which could also double as the series score. That’s right, it’s two-nil.

Remember Stuart Broad clearly edging an Ashton Agar delivery to first slip at Trent Bridge in 2013 and refusing to walk?

Remember Broad laughing and celebrating when England ran out New Zealand’s Colin de Grandhomme, who walked out of his crease, last year?

Remember on day three when Bairstow, a wicketkeeper, attempted to stump Marnus Labuschagne in exactly the same manner?

And remember England’s head coach, the already under-pressure Brendon McCullum, throwing down the stumps of a batsmen unaware the ball hadn’t yet been declared dead? Oh, and he did that three times in 2005, 2006 and 2009.

England’s posturing and pretence smacks of two-faced double standards. Carey’s actions were quick-thinking, instinctive and well within the perimeters of cricket’s rules.

Brendon McCullum threw the stumps down multiple times during his career as a wicketkeeper, but now it’s not in the spirit of the game?

Did you hear Australian players moan and sob when Mitchell Starc was denied a fair catch in the outfield on day four?

As one journalist wrote: “Turns out the ‘spirit of cricket’ only applies when England says so.”

This non-event was concocted by a team under excruciating pressure for employing a failing new attacking style of play.

Their aggressive batting style – nicknamed Bazball after coach McCallum – is floundering.

And those Lord’s members who want to be known as the aristocratic elite have shown themselves to be mere commoners like the rest of us.

Imagine the silver spoon Long Room faithful, wearing suits and ties, actually taunting, jostling and abusing opposition players? Oh how utterly ashamed they must feel from their distinguished and affluent abodes in Mayfair and Knightsbridge.

And it’s strange how the seemingly all white pavilion appeared to target Usman Khawaja, Australia’s Muslim opening batsman.

The entire episode was shameful and mean-spirited. Lord’s once regal image now belongs in a hearse.

Those pretentious snobs are no better than the Aussie scallywags that once sat on the roughhouse SCG Hill and Bay 13 in Melbourne.

Good Lord, Lord’s.

Yeh I read it. I expect every Aussie scribe worth his salt is writing something similar in ever paper across the country.

So they needed to, specially the pompous egg and bacon brigade who were bloody well abusive, perhaps even slanderous and racist, going on Ussies reaction of calling in the security people. The fact is the arrogant mentality from days of empire still pervades sections of English society and they cant stand it when we beat them at sport, specially cricket. You know what I mean,''How dare those colonials better us at anything,it is the height of affrontery''

Last edited:
So they needed to, specially the pompous egg and bacon brigade who were bloody well abusive, perhaps even slanderous. The fact is the arrogant mentality from days of empire still pervades English society and they cant stand it when we beat them at cricket. You know what I mean,''How dare those colonials beat us at anything, is the height of affrontery''

My reply is always “hey if you didn’t send us convicts here in the first place we wouldn’t have this issue would we”

As they should. Headingley is ranked as the most volatile for cricket crowds in the UK. Crazy nutters those Yorkshiremen (even though I follow a Yorkshire football team).

We lose yet another toss. Not good Pat as this greenie looks good for bowling. Hoping for some sun to assist us.

The first pitch with some lateral movement likely and our best seamer to miss it. Good chance for Boland to make amends for his poor game.

Mitch Marsh is a walking wicket on a seaming deck. Bad call.

Back