The Covid Menace.

While the UK remains in lockdown an irresponsible Sydney airport limo driver has spread the voracious Indian Delta strain in Sydney. This driver sh'd have known, that not being vaxxed, he was a risk to his airline crew passengers and others. Now we have new restrictions on several million Sydneysiders with school holiday plans thrown into turmoil due to border closures.

Last edited:
Today is the day of announcements. After I had applied for COVID vaccinations for weeks and months in vain my daughter had finally included me in her vaccination programme and personally gave me the first BioNTech/Pfizer jab on 1 June and the second two days ago. Without her help I'd probably have had to wait for another couple of weeks if not months and if I had continued refusing Astra Zeneca, it might have been even longer.
Richie, I heard that AZ was going to be phased out in AUS. So, no need for you to struggle for the right vaccine.
B BettyBoo Jessica, when will you be getting / did you get your second jab?

Last edited:
Today is the day of announcements. After I had applied for COVID vaccinations for weeks and months in vain my daughter had finally included me in her vaccination programme and personally gave me the first BioNTech/Pfizer jab on 1 June and the second two days ago. Without her help I'd probably have had to wait for another couple of weeks if not months and if I had continued refusing Astra Zeneca, it might have been even longer.
Richie, I heard that AZ was going to be phased out in AUS. So, no need for you to struggle for the right vaccine.
B BettyBoo Jessica, when will you be getting / did you get your second jab?
I get my second Pzifer vaccine in August but reckon it'll be brought forward as was the case with colleagues, I can't wait to be honest. Yesterday there was an announcement of Jabs Up For Grabs, so anyone who wants the vaccine that hasn't yet had it can go along to a centre and have one, aimed at those who haven't got any booked.

Richie, I heard that AZ was going to be phased out in AUS.

Not so. Now giving it to our under 40s as well as over 60s. So in Germany are you able to choose which vax you prefer. As here in Oz currently Pfizer is only permitted for the Under 60.

Hope your second jab will be sooner too Jess. There is only a three week wait between my two jabs. Next is on July 21. Will be monitoring myself from today for any blood clot symptoms.
Common knowledge Australia began its vax program a coupla months after most of you in Europe as we could afford to be more cautious. So no surprise that we have only vaxed a third of our population and are still below herd immunity level so our borders are remaining shut to foreign tourists.

Last edited:
Have either of you heard that the the current mRNA vaxes are next to useless against this Delta strain> That is what my cluey son is saying and why he refuses to take the jab until a more effective vax is found.

Last edited:
Have either of you heard that the the current mRNA vaxes are next to useless against this Delta strain> That is what my cluey son is saying and why he refuses to take the jab until a more effective vax is found.
I'm afraid he's ill-informed or is generally an anti-vaxer? There's clear evidence both in the heavily affected UK and in Europe that all vaccines also protect against the Delta-variant which is going to dominate here in Germany, too.
  • the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
  • the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses
Importantly, the second dosis does the trick. I wish he'd have second thoughts about it. As in Europe, you will find yourself in a situation where those not vaccinated will get infected sooner or later.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ve-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant

So do I wish he'd have a second think. But my boy has a rather stubborn character.. Gets it from his mother. He has promised me tho that when out he will mask up and take all precautions. A bunch of stupid people ignored home restrictions yesterday and went to local parks and beaches for picnics.. under the guise of exercise. Not one person of about 20 in one newspaper image wore masks. This is the reason that lockdowns are extended. gggrrr.

While the UK remains in lockdown an irresponsible Sydney airport limo driver has spread the voracious Indian Delta strain in Sydney. This driver sh'd have known, that not being vaxxed, he was a risk to his airline crew passengers and others. Now we have new restrictions on several million Sydneysiders with school holiday plans thrown into turmoil due to border closures.
Over here there are reports on the current second lockdown in Sydney and elsewhere in AUS because of the spreading Delta variant. Examining pics of a surveillance camera in Bondi, researchers found out that it's so infectious that a man walking 20 m behind an infected person in a department store caught the virus, too. So it happens within seconds whereas you had to be exposed to the critical virus load of the original virus for as long as 10-15 minutes . From Bondi Beach (the limo driver) the virus travelled to Perth within a couple of hours only.
I'm surprised that in Darwin it took only 90 minutes for the blitz lockdown to become effective after they had spotted just one infected person. That's what you'd expect to be feasible in authoritarian states only. 11,000 AUD fine per person for being caught leaving the locked-down cities also sounds like a draconian measure. But it is necessary to pull out all the available stops to try and fight the virus. China and South Korea were the first to be successful this way, too.

Draconian measure but necessary in my view. Hit people in the hip pocket where it will cause most hurt. Like what has happened to 12 of my footy team the St George Dragons after one of them broke curfew and invited his team mates to his birthday party. The players have also been hit with game suspensions. Great just as my Dragons, who I have followed since I was knee hi to a grasshopper, were hitting some form too. I will mask up tomorrow when I walk to my shopping centre to buy wife some flowers and chocs for her birthday.

Mate, you should seriously consider buying some good FFP2 masks for you and your wife. Congrats on her birthday.🤗 They can protect you better from this new infectious strain because they filter out the virus. All other masks only protect others in case you are infected. They need to be certified by a lab, though. Ours here get a certain stamp on it.

So do I wish he'd have a second think. But my boy has a rather stubborn character.. Gets it from his mother. He has promised me tho that when out he will mask up and take all precautions. A bunch of stupid people ignored home restrictions yesterday and went to local parks and beaches for picnics.. under the guise of exercise. Not one person of about 20 in one newspaper image wore masks. This is the reason that lockdowns are extended. gggrrr.
Same here Richie, I'm sick of being out and about wearing my mask yet some idiots ignore the rules and even stand too close, I don't care if someone is excempt from wearing a mask, they are not standing near me 🙄

Draconian measure but necessary in my view. Hit people in the hip pocket where it will cause most hurt. Like what has happened to 12 of my footy team the St George Dragons after one of them broke curfew and invited his team mates to his birthday party. The players have also been hit with game suspensions. Great just as my Dragons, who I have followed since I was knee hi to a grasshopper, were hitting some form too. I will mask up tomorrow when I walk to my shopping centre to buy wife some flowers and chocs for her birthday.
Happy Birthday Mrs Richie 🌻

I think quite a few celebs have broken the rules here too, Rita Ora being one of them, she booked a restaurant for her birthday party during lockdown.

Victoria have it right now. 54 total cases with 19 new locally aquired cases today.
Crap Sooz hope we did not give you any new cases. That drongo airport driver has a lot to answer for.. so does his boss.
Happy Birthday Mrs Richie 🌻

I think quite a few celebs have broken the rules here too, Rita Ora being one of them, she booked a restaurant for her birthday party during lockdown.
Mrs Richie thanks you Jessica. Bloody hell selfish people are prolonging this dreaded virus. Just read that the UK has 50K new cases. Surely you are not easing restrictions.

Crap Sooz hope we did not give you any new cases. That drongo airport driver has a lot to answer for.. so does his boss.

Mrs Richie thanks you Jessica. Bloody hell selfish people are prolonging this dreaded virus. Just read that the UK has 50K new cases. Surely you are not easing restrictions.
Restrictions are set to ease here tomorrow, it's a bad move that, our cases are going up and our hospitals are getting full again. We need a full on lockdown again like at the beginning, only this time if people flaunt it again they should be heavily fined or even arrested, I'm so sick of selfish idiots. :mad:

Medical experts are warning against total freedom when Australia reaches 70% adult vaxed ceiling. Instead it needs to be set at a 90% ceiling at the least. One university epidemiologist estimates the damage may be up to 270K infections and 25K deaths otherwise.. :eek:

What is situation in Germany. The UK had its Freedom Day and there are still in excess of 30k daily infections and 100 deaths. What percentage did Germany have Thomas and what did the UK set at before ending lockdown Jessica?

Medical experts are warning against total freedom when Australia reaches 70% adult vaxed ceiling. Instead it needs to be set at a 90% ceiling at the least. One university epidemiologist estimates the damage may be up to 270K infections and 25K deaths otherwise.. :eek:

What is situation in Germany. The UK had its Freedom Day and there are still in excess of 30k daily infections and 100 deaths. What percentage did Germany have Thomas and what did the UK set at before ending lockdown Jessica?
I don't know the statistics Richie, but cases keep rising. Freedom Day meant nothing to me, I'm still behaving as if we have restrictions. I have 4 days off work over the Bank Holiday but the most I'll be doing is traveling by car to Wales or Yorkshire, then having a takeaway there on the promanade.

The number of infections has been on the increase again now reaching like 4-5,000 a day again. Our incidence is ca. 54 (out of 100,000), and 10 deaths again but the situation is different now. About 60% of the population are fully vaxed. The hospitalization rate is about to be considered more important, the government says, some virologists disagree. People are concerned about upcoming variants but hope that the jabs will protect them. When school begins again and people spend more time at home we'll see what happens.

The number of infections has been on the increase again now reaching like 4-5,000 a day again. Our incidence is ca. 54 (out of 100,000), and 10 deaths again but the situation is different now. About 60% of the population are fully vaxed. The hospitalization rate is about to be considered more important, the government says, some virologists disagree. People are concerned about upcoming variants but hope that the jabs will protect them. When school begins again and people spend more time at home we'll see what happens.
There's still lots of people working from home here, apparently they are so used to working from home they are reluctant to go back to the office.

Back