The Future of the Aussie Test Side

Re: The Future of the Aussie Test Side

el-capitano;297492 said:
Ponting's not going anywhere- for at least another couple of years or so, so you can add him back into the squad for the Ashes! ;)

If Lee doesn't start taking wickets, he'll be gone- as much as that pains me- because I've been a big Binga fan over the years.

Hayden has until the end of this series to score something- or he's gone. Jaques if fit will come back in for him. He hasn't done anything wrong except for getting injured.

Symonds is a conundrum. He hasn't been bowling and really he's not a Test Quality number 6. I'd rather have a proper batsman in there to shore up our shaky top order at the moment.

This is what I think we'll see even for the return Saffies series if a couple of players don't aim up in the last two tests!

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey. M
Clarke
Hussey.D
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz/Krezja
Siddle/Bollinger
Clark

Totally Agree, thats what the squad should look like, although they may bring Watson in if the English wickets aren't conducive to spin.

I would also prefer Hilfenhaus to Bollinger.

If Ponting retires in a year or so (Injuries may get the better of him), I could see Hughes at the age of 21-22 (He's 20 now), finishing up honing his skills and being brought in to open with Jaques, and Katich at three.

Thats a much better balanced line-up although I would rather see D Hussey or Watson in for Symonds, Symonds has played good innings upon return and selectors won't drop him.

breeno;297426 said:
Yea I like Brad Hodge, but maybe we have to look at alternatives, he's starting to age now. Any No.3 suggestions?

Marcus North. Hodge's international career is pretty much over.

breeno;297500 said:
Totally Agree, thats what the squad should look like, although they may bring Watson in if the English wickets aren't conducive to spin.

I would also prefer Hilfenhaus to Bollinger.

If Ponting retires in a year or so (Injuries may get the better of him), I could see Hughes at the age of 21-22 (He's 20 now), finishing up honing his skills and being brought in to open with Jaques, and Katich at three.

Thats a much better balanced line-up although I would rather see D Hussey or Watson in for Symonds, Symonds has played good innings upon return and selectors won't drop him.
My bad- I did forget about Hilfy- he can slot into the Siddle/Bollinger slot as well. ;)

I like North. Also, like Breeno said, I think Symonds probably shouldn't bein there, although he is looking good at the moment. David Hussey could go well at 6, and he can bowl a handy offspinner too.

Situation: Hayden retires, Ponting doesn't and finds some form.
1. Jaques/Rogers (depending on Jaques' fitness, and Hughes will need to develop)
2. Katich (will stay at 2 while Ponting is in the side)
3. Ponting (c) (the captain, his skill will have him in no matter his form)
4. Michael Hussey (out of touch but superb)
5. Clarke (vc) (major talent, next captain, handy spin)
6. Haddin (loads of talent and skill, best wicketkeeper in Australia by far)
7. Symonds/Watson (Symonds form the big factor, David Hussey to miss out because the selectors love allrounders)
8. Johnson (Australia's leading strike bowler, Lee gone)
9. Clark (a must have for Australia, he puts pressure on the batsmen with tight bowling)
10. Hilfenhaus (English wickets suit him)
11. Bollinger (great talent)

Those bowlers will depend on a couple of other things. Will the pitches spin? Is Watson playing? Is Krejza (I know he has just been dropped but Hauritz isn't an international test player, not enough talent in my opinion) bowling well?

We'll see though, I guess.

Better off going for part time spinners IMO.

If Krejza isn't in the side I'd rather not have a spinner in the side, have Symonds play more of a role along with M.Clarke.

Also gives either of Watson/Bollinger/Hilfenhaus/Siddle a spot in the side.

Scenario: Hayden retires at the end of this series. Ponting stays in, keeps his touch. Maybe back to his best, maybe not, but he is still in our best side. Lee is unable to find an alternative weapon to his pace, which he has lost. Casson regains his form of 07/08, which he seems to have lost recently.

Ashes squad:

Katich
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey, M.
Clarke
Haddin
Symonds
Casson
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Clark

Watson
Bollinger
Hughes
Rogers
Krejza

Would be amazing to see a top three of Jaques, Hughes and Katich! All three are NSW openers (well, Katich not quite, since he more often plays down the order for NSW), and that is not an unrealistic top 3 for the Ashes!

Siddle is a prospect, but he's too one dimensional at the moment. Give him a couple more seasons at state level to refine his game, and he may be a genuine shot.

I think Casson at his best is a better prospect than Krejza. However, his one terrific season may have just been a flash in the pan. I've put him in the squad in the hope that it was not, and he'll turn his poor recent form around.

And unfortunately, I think David Hussey may have missed the boat. It's a pity, because he's undoubtedly talented, but Symonds is pretty much the same as him, but a slightly better version. He is to Symonds what MacGill was to Warne, except MacGill actually got a few chances because Warne was a dickhead, and we also played two spinners a couple of times.

breeno;297584 said:
Better off going for part time spinners IMO.
QUOTE]

Are you an Aussie Selector? That theory did us wonders in India :rolleyes:
also Warne's figures on debut weren't as bad as Krejzer's, he needs to be kept in, no spinner we won't beat good sides because we wont get them out in the second innings.

I said in Melbourne, but in Sydney we need a spinner.

Krejza is still our best IMO.

In India you need a spinner plain and simple, same with Sydney. But you can get away with it in Melbourne.

I also said that if Krejza isn't in the side then no spinner should be, as I believe he is the only spinner we have that can hold his own (Just).

There is no point in questioning Symonds place , he is needed for the Aus for 3 more years...

On a side note, did you see the drift that Hauritz was getting in Adelaide, like a freaking outswinger!

I know what you guys think, but I believe that Hauritz isn't as bad an idea as the rest of you think. First of all, he has domestic experience (although not FC), looks to have confidence, is re-developing his flight, get amazing drift, and the biggest thing in my opinion, he knows how to keep it tight. And being a handy batter means that our tail is one of the shortest in the world.

We will have to see how he performs, but I have a feeling it won't be as bad as expected

Hauritz isn't a terrble bowler, but my problem with him is that, although he can keep it tight, he doesn't have that wicket taking potential that Krejza does, and that's what we need,

Mousey;298118 said:
Hauritz isn't a terrble bowler, but my problem with him is that, although he can keep it tight, he doesn't have that wicket taking potential that Krejza does, and that's what we need,

Krejza will go at 4 runs an over no matter where he plays.
It's his ability to take wickets which is exactly what Australia need.

If the batsmen did there job in the 2nd Innings in Perth instead of being 8-170, Krejza could've bowled all day. Yes he is expensive but he picks up wickets, this is highlighted by Nathan Haurtiz only taking 13 wickets in the last 3 years.
Krejza has that many in has last 2 tests.

But 1/200 odd is a terrible return for a wicket taker. Has anyone actually thought that his debut was a complete fluke? I mean 12 wickets against (in my opinion) the best team in the world, then following it up with just 1 wicket. What Australia need is pressure. Whenever Krezja bowls, it evaporates. We aren't going to find an attacking spinner who kept it tight ala Shane Warne, so I think we have to focus on a strong pace attack, with a spinner who isn't going to leak so many runs.

Very true. I think he struggles on the flatter pitches. In India he still went for runs, but got the wickets. Here, with less turn, he just went for runs. I think he needs to play in Sydney, and then we'll see how he goes.

Mousey;298118 said:
He might be having a bad run but that's not his bowling it's the pitch that he's been dealt with.
I heard on the news just a little earlier that Hauritz shouldn't be playing because the pitch was made for fast bowlers only....

If Krezja could learn to keep it tighter then he would be a viable option. At the moment, his economy is simply to high.

No good getting wickets if you're letting batsman score at 4/5 runs an over off you, by the time you get them they'll have scored 60 odd and at a pace which could possibly change the momentum of the game.

Perth has always been pretty tough for spinners though. But yeah Krezja always seems to bowl that 1 or 2 deliveries an over that are ordinary/bad which costs him.

Would like to see him have a go in Sydney. Didn't think Hauritz played as bad as many made out, will be much harder for him agaist SA though.

Back