The Lounge 2

Terry compare your pics to these taken in 1950/60s Sydney.
Below is Coogee Beach where I lived for 20 years. The rest are self explained.

1685078296484.png
1685078591360.png
1685078921602.png
1685078997473.png
1685079175402.png
1685079314785.png

Attachments

• 1685078420601.png
    1685078420601.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 1685078499994.png
    1685078499994.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The senior constable who tasered the old lady has now been stood down, but on full pay while the investigation is being carried out. The old lady looks very poorly now and is receiving palliative care.
Surely the police officer could have contained her without recourse to using his taser on her. A poor old demented 95 yo lady using a zimmer frame would have very little strength to cause a threat even with the steak knife she was brandising.
At least the officer didn't shoot her, God forbid.
She passed away yesterday I think.

Really Jess. There were some 1m Ten Pound Poms between 1945 and 1972. Had no idea the scheme lasted that long.. probably because for much of that time only white caucasians were allowed into this country.
Where do your ancestors originate from, Ritchie?

I came out in 1970 as a £10 pom.
Several of my Irish Mother's forebears ( great, ..?..great, Uncles?) came out to mine for gold wheeling their wheelbarrows from Perth to Kalgoorlie (~370 miles) with all their possessions in their barrows.
Then lost to memory but that distinctive Irish Surname is quite commonplace in my remote state. 🤔

Craig, I bet you're right about us poms getting preferential treatment during those "Whites only" policy days'.
By 1970 there was still antipathy towards Poms (pohm or Prisoner Of His Majesty) which used to drive my old Mum mad having our family fleeing bigoted Ulster.. to get more stick. She'd fire back "We didn't come out here with a ball and chain like your convict ancestors, ....!", etc...
A teacher once mocked me for wearing "sandals & socks"!
I still wear socks with my sandals. It's much healthier option for several reasons... My Old Wild Mum wanted a piece of her.
53 years later it's all so much more tolerant and "POM" is a term of endearment.
I always thought that each new wave of migrants took the brunt of good old Aussie xenophobia but 2 or 3 decades later it was mainly forgotten and a new wave of ethnic migrants became lambasted. Currently it's people of African backgrounds raising the ire and copping the flak. Where I live anyway.🙈 🙉 🙊

Last edited:
Several of my Irish Mother's forebears ( great, ..?..great, Uncles?) came out to mine for gold wheeling their wheelbarrows from Perth to Kalgoorlie (~370 miles) with all their possessions in their barrows.
Then lost to memory but that distinctive Irish Surname is quite commonplace in my remote state. 🤔

Craig, I bet you're right about us poms getting preferential treatment during those "Whites only" policy days'.
By 1970 there was still antipathy towards Poms (pohm or Prisoner Of His Majesty) which used to drive my old Mum mad having our family fleeing bigoted Ulster.. to get more stick. She'd fire back "We didn't come out here with a ball and chain like your convict ancestors, ....!", etc...
I still wear socks with my sandals. It's much healthier option for several reasons... My Old Wild Mum wanted a piece of her.
53 years later it's all so much more tolerant and "POM" is a term of endearment.
I always thought that each new wave of migrants took the brunt of good old Aussie xenophobia but 2 or 3 decades later it was mainly forgotten and a new wave of ethnic migrants became lambasted. Currently it's people of African backgrounds raising the ire and copping the flak. Where I live anyway.🙈 🙉 🙊
Thanks for joining in, Terry.:thumbsu:

You were a TPP too Terry. Watch the brilliant Ten Pound Poms mini series as it does not pull any punches with many Australians resenting TPPs coming here so cheaply, being housed and fed then taking their jobs. Dont really blame them to be honest.

Last edited:
Really Jess. There were some 1m Ten Pound Poms between 1945 and 1972. Had no idea the scheme lasted that long.. probably because for much of that time only white caucasians were allowed into this country.
Yeah my uncle couldn't leave England quick enough, he only came back to us for visits and funerals, he loved Australia and his work as a builder took him to New Zealand too. He died about 5yrs ago. My mum who is his sister often talks about him.

McGowan has quit indeed Kram.

He says he's burnt out and I totally believe it. He was a brilliant Premier sailing my WA through the turbulent Covid years, and battling a greedy Billionaire trying to break down our strict borders to further line his pocket. McGowan rightly called out that obscenely obese and odious man, our State's number one enemy. Too right.
Last State election here in the darkest days of Covid McGowan's Labor party got an eye watering 96% of the vote. That was phenomenal and well deserved. Labor won 53 out of 59 seats!
One guy even got a likeness of McGowan tattooed on himself. Not his bum...!
Keeping the borders shut our state's economy kept rolling on as the economic powerhouse of all Australia, despite many obstacles, especially that rotund guy who has trouble squeezing out of his showy sports cars. Even today he couldn't't resist a dig at Australia's most popular state Premier ever.
McGowan will be a very hard act to follow and three very capable ministers have put up their hands to take over.
I'd like to see a statue of him made in Perth for his Stewardship of our State. His management of the Pandemic surely saved many thousands of lives. Western Australia was touted the safest place on Earth re Covid. Even the usually very conservative electorates voted for him. He was the right man at the right time for the job and almost all saw that, even the elite in their leafy riverside and beachside suburbs.
As a Naval Officer, Lawyer and long time Labor Politician he had the skills to navigate Western Australia, the biggest state, with grit, determination, intelligence and strategic thinking.
Some hated him with threats to attack his office, his home, his family,... a long line of nutters from rabid anti vaxers, separated families, businesses, ..., pushy other states, litigation attempts to breach our borders, ..... He held tight despite himself being dragged over the judicial coals by vexatious litigants, one in particular ...
Other more populous states trying to rob our gst as well.

Even I thought he looked tired and exhausted, like recently having to deal with Criminal Youths' Detention Facilities and Crime sprees, ...
I was sad he hadn't better funded the Health System in WA given his big budget Surplus.

Mark-McGowan.jpg

As a Naval Officer, Lawyer and long time Labor Politician he had the skills to navigate Western Australia, the biggest state, with grit, determination, intelligence and strategic thinking.
... born in God's country too Terry

Back