The Weather Thread

Spring has certainly come through over the past weekend with temperatures in the mid 20's.

In other news, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology has declared a La Nina for the coming summer, the third in a row. There's been a total of three consecutive La Nina events previously since reliable records began. A likely wet summer coming up for the eastern and south eastern states again this year (2022/23).

How would all Aussies sum up winter this year?

Where I am, maximum temperatures were 0.2 degrees above average for June to August while minimum temperatures were 0.5 degrees above the average for the same period. Rainfall was basically average (a couple of millimetres less than usual).

The forecast for October through to January is for a high likelihood of above average maximum and minimum temperatures and below average rainfall.

Where I am, maximum temperatures were 0.2 degrees above average for June to August while minimum temperatures were 0.5 degrees above the average for the same period. Rainfall was basically average (a couple of millimetres less than usual).

The forecast for October through to January is for a high likelihood of above average maximum and minimum temperatures and below average rainfall.
Thanks Ljp. You described the deviations very precisely. Since I didn't know what your average temps are I looked them up (after learning from your profile that you are from Perth) and saw that they are between 8 and 18 degs. What strikes me is that there is not such a wide difference between summer und winter, roughly 10°C. Very pleasant temps I'd say.

Thanks Ljp. You described the deviations very precisely. Since I didn't know what your average temps are I looked them up (after learning from your profile that you are from Perth) and saw that they are between 8 and 18 degs. What strikes me is that there is not such a wide difference between summer und winter, roughly 10°C. Very pleasant temps I'd say.

No worries, looker-on looker-on . The average maximum at the current meteorological site for June to August here is 19.0 degrees with the average minimum being 8.3 degrees. Most of the time the maximum hovers between 16 and 22 degrees during winter, it rarely drops below 15 degrees during the day here.

The coldest month is July with an average maximum of 18.5 degrees and an average minimum of 8.0 degrees. The hottest month is February with an average maximum of 31.6 degrees and an average minimum of 18.4 degrees. Maximums of 35 degrees or more are fairly common in the warmer months and it generally gets to 40+ degrees a few times per year (the most recent December to February period saw a record of 13 days of 40+ degrees including a run of six days in a row which was also a record). Minimums of 20 degrees or more are fairly common in the warmer months and there can be extended spells of hot weather for a number of days (ranging from a few days to longer than a week) at times.

I'm biased but the climate here is pretty good, one of the best in the country in my opinion. Most of the precipitation (close to 80%) falls between May and September with the warmer months generally being fairly dry. It's not uncommon during summer to go for weeks, sometimes even months with no rain.

No worries, looker-on looker-on . Most of the precipitation (close to 80%) falls between May and September with the warmer months generally being fairly dry. It's not uncommon during summer to go for weeks, sometimes even months with no rain.
Where do you get the water from? After two draughts within four years we're running out of water and everybody is alarmed. The Po river in Italy has dried up, France can't cool its nuke power stations, and our Rhine river has almost turned into a trickle flow. In some regions drinking water was rationed. Ground water levels have lowered dramatically.

Where do you get the water from? After two draughts within four years we're running out of water and everybody is alarmed. The Po river in Italy has dried up, France can't cool its nuke power stations, and our Rhine river has almost turned into a trickle flow. In some regions drinking water was rationed. Ground water levels have lowered dramatically.

In the past, the majority of our water was provided by dams which serviced the city adequately for over 100 years. However, the explosion of the city's population in the last 30 years has increased demand for water and coupled with the general drying of the area due to climate change plus reduced rainfall run-off has drastically changed the means of which the city sources its water.

Right now, about 36% of the city's water is taken from groundwater with 35% coming from desalination (converting sea water into drinking water). 26% is sourced from dams with 3% coming from groundwater replacement methods.

In eight years' time, desalination is predicted to account for 57% of the city's water while groundwater will reduce to about 28%, something which the government is looking to reduce and eventually replenish (groundwater replacement is predicted to increase to 7% at this time). The state government here is building a third desalination plant at Alkimos which is approximately 42km north of the city in order to accommodate this to further supplement the city's water needs. The population of Perth is predicted to reach 3.5 million people by 2050 which makes the necessity for water all the more important.

It it well documented how much climate change has had an effect on the planet in recent times but the south western part of Australia has been one of the most affected areas globally, particularly in the past 50 years. Rainfall has dropped more than 20-25% compared to long-term averages and temperatures have risen by 1.4 degrees which is above the global average. Below is a graphic detailing the drop in rainfall during the April to October period from 1999 to 2018 which is the region's wettest period.

1664122316793.png

The long-term prediction is for reduced rainfall in the cooler months while rainfall is expected to increase in warmer months as a result of climate change and the area becoming more tropical/sub-tropical in nature. About 18 months ago, the central west region experienced a category three cyclone (Australian scale, Cyclone Seroja) which whacked the town of Kalbarri (592km north of Perth). The strength of the cyclone was something the town has not experienced before and was aided by record warm ocean temperatures along the coast, again a result of climate change and the significant oceanic warming of the sea adjacent to the continent. Cyclones or ex-cyclones this far south are not uncommon, the strength and resistant nature of the cyclone were something not really seen before and helped aid the cyclone's strength before it made landfall. Damage in the town was significant and Kalbarri was closed for weeks in order for adequate clean up to occur.

The next week will see temperatures above to well above average with maximums in the mid to high 20's. This is not uncommon but certainly above average (September average maximum at the current meteorological site is 20.5 degrees).

Thanks, Ljp86 Ljp86
So you do have desalination plants. That's certainly a blessing as it is a necessity. What about their energy footprint? How are they operated?

Thanks, Ljp86 Ljp86
So you do have desalination plants. That's certainly a blessing as it is a necessity. What about their energy footprint? How are they operated?

Yes, we have two with a third to be built and opened in 2028.

I believe they are electricity operated but there is a focus on making sure they don't use too much power. The energy used to provide water for an entire family of four over one day is the same as running an air conditioner here for an hour.

There's also a focus here to start using renewable options. Solar energy uptake here has been huge over the past 15 years and many houses and businesses have them now. There is a movement towards batteries to store power plus also generation of power by wind and hydro. The coal power plants here are being phased out with gas to take centre stage as the main supply method while renewables are ramped up further so they can eventually power most of the state.

As for the actual weather, the temperature today was 28.9 degrees and sunny, 29 degrees forecast for tomorrow and then 27 degrees on Saturday with plenty of sun on both days. It'll be partly cloudy and sunny with temperatures in the mid 20's for the next few days after that before the rain returns on Wednesday next week.

After a third consecutive La Nina was confirmed for Australia last month, predictions have only gotten worse. Now, an overall picture is emerging that could mean floods, heatwaves and tropical cyclones from October until April 2023. 😨

Sydney is having a crazy Spring. A mixture of fine sunny days with wet windy ones. La Nina is back again for an unprecendented third year in a row with expected rainfall on our Eastern Seaboard to be above normal thru to summer.

Cool here in the UK - 8c at night 18c during day - bunch of showers with NW winds from arctic pushing temp down from usual average. Thinking about bringing tender plants in ready for over-wintering (Bougainvillea's)
Hi I'm Jessica from Lancashire UK, just noticed you're in my timezone 🤗
Richie is starting a Continue The Story thread, join in if you wish 👍

Last edited:
Back