Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

hottip06;223524 said:
Be very very careful about talking up young spinners! Remember Josh Mangan????

currenlty in the WA squad and has been for the past few seasons, still fairly young

what happened to holland last season? dont think i seen his name at all during the year

jimmydcricket;223586 said:
currenlty in the WA squad and has been for the past few seasons, still fairly young

what happened to holland last season? dont think i seen his name at all during the year

Got injured either his shoulder or his knee can't remember but it was quite serious. But Cricket Victoria still rate him extremely highly by getting him into the state program. After the season off he could spin some teams into trouble

not sure if been posted but here is a list of the Victorian High Performance Academy squads:

SENIOR SQUAD

Name

Premier Club

Nick
Austin
Carlton

Marc
Carson
Geelong

Nick
Ellsmore
Melbourne Uni

Jonathan
Fagg
Fitzroy Doncaster

Andrew
Fekete
Richmond

Shane
Giese
Melbourne

Steven
Gilmour
Ringwood

Jayde
Herrick
Casey - Sth Melb

Tim
Hoare
Northcote

Cameron
Huckett
Prahran

Michael
King
Ringwood

Ashley
Perera
Casey - Sth Melb

Troy
Ryan
Camberwell Magpies

Chris
Salm
Carlton

Nick
Williams
Melbourne Uni

Tim
Buszard
Carlton

Joel
Davies
Geelong

Peter
Dickson
Fitzroy Doncaster

Evan
Gulbis
Carlton

Simon
Hill
Camberwell Magpies

David
King
Ringwood

Andrew
McGuines
St Kilda

David
Newman
Dandenong

Tom
Stray
Ringwood

David
Wildsmith
Northcote

Michael
Beer
St Kilda

Daniel
King
Ringwood

Jack
McNamara
Camberwell Magpies

Clive
Rose
Casey - Sth Melb

Tim
Ludeman
Carlton

YOUTH SQUAD

Name

Premier Club

Justin
Colbourne
Geelong

Daniel
Forbes
St Kilda

Kane
Griffiths

Adam
Matthiesson
St Kilda

Steven
Reid
Essendon

Jack
Ryan
Frankston Peninsula

Matthew
Bremner
Fitzroy Doncaster

Matthew
Brown
Melbourne

Darren
Dewar
Hawthorn Monash Uni

Dale
Tormey
Hawthorn Monash Uni

Ben
Clements
Frankston Peninsula

Peter
Handscomb

Reuben
Wakefield
Casey - Sth Melb

Nathan
Walsh
Ringwood

Nathan
Hrovatin
Fitzroy Doncaster

Sean
Sturrock
Melbourne

Michael
Wallace
St Kilda

Joseph
Loorham
Ringwood

Cutting Half Volleys;223034 said:
Wasn't knocking Newman. More just saying how good Dandenong's side is. Where does he fit in?

Forsyth
Chasemore
Sarna
Dempsey
D. Newman
J Pattinson
Damiano +
D Pattinson
Siddle
Boraston
Allen

If he was brought in for a bowler, maybe. You've still got some good young batsmen in the 2nds there at Dandy that he'll be competing with.

I agree some good players here. Baz1981, I would still appreciate your thoughts on why you think Dempsey is a bad move for Dandenong? There are some rumours Spoljaric may not head back to Melbourne as he does not get along with Yallop ( the reason he left South).

jimmydcricket;223586 said:

Had a shoulder reconstruction and missed the season, has been at the Cricket Academy all winter and is super fit and raring to go. Australian selectors still rate him as he has just been selected on the AIS Tour to India and South Africa, along with other Victorians Michael Hill and Matthew Wade. Still only 20yo and will no doubt be the Blues best recruit this summer!

Pocket, I just dont believe Dempsey is a great club person. I know a few of the Ringwood boys were happy when he left, and some of the North Melbourne boys r happy to see the back of him. He will fill Ayres' shoes well, but off-field is just as important....

As for the spinners, I've seen a bit of Maher, definently a stride ahead of Jeremy Hart. Saying that, Hart's second XI record isnt that bad, he just struggles against first XI batsmen. Muller is still at Geelong, was a key player early last season during the one-dayers

baz1981;223887 said:
Pocket, I just dont believe Dempsey is a great club person. I know a few of the Ringwood boys were happy when he left, and some of the North Melbourne boys r happy to see the back of him. He will fill Ayres' shoes well, but off-field is just as important....

As for the spinners, I've seen a bit of Maher, definently a stride ahead of Jeremy Hart. Saying that, Hart's second XI record isnt that bad, he just struggles against first XI batsmen. Muller is still at Geelong, was a key player early last season during the one-dayers

not bad for a bloke who went to geelong as a top order batsman who didnt bowl, has worked his ass off to get where he is.

baz1981;223887 said:

yeah i think heart is at he's level in the two's, whereas maher has alot of improvment left in him as he gets older. muller is in top handful of 1day bowlers going around, not so effective in longer version

clearing pickets;223891 said:
maher is an arrogant little kid at the moment from all reports, hopefully he sorts that out in the near future
i'll second that he is a arrogant little shit. what do you expect when thats how they all are down at geelong

Bringbackwarney;223894 said:
i'll second that he is a arrogant little shit. what do you expect when thats how they all are down at geelong

I'll second that, they are very very happy with themselves down at the Cattery, for a side that has ACHIEVED NOTHING! They have had an awesome side on paper for years now and last year was the first time they had made the finals for six years!

Might have something to do with the "small town, big fish" syndrome, and it cant help their egos some of the dribble the Geelong Addy churn out on them. Just read there club website if you want a laugh...

Too many, egos, too many personal agendas, in-fighting, not enough about the TEAM - that summarizes the Cats in a nutshell!

baz1981;223887 said:

Appreciate your response but from what I hear it was more a disgruntled few. My mail is that the King boys were pretty annoyed he left and generally he is a good guy. As for North it must have been a difficult environment to play in when the standards of some are not met by others. Especially as I believe he still lives near the Yarra Valley and commuted to north 3 times a week. That in itself shows a fair commitment I would have thought. I think most "marquee" players have their knockers purely because that is what they are. Many lesser players don't deal with the limelight they seem to get. Do you know him at all? as you do have some strong thoughts.

That aside you seem to follow the cats closely, is the young Maher related to the spinner of a few years ago? My thoughts are that McNamara ( Camberwell) seems to get many glowing reports and may be the best spinner in Vic.

Could Dempsey's loyalty be determined by whether he is captain and the amount of money he gets paid?

I thought he left Ringwood because he wasn't going to be made captain.

pockets19;223939 said:
Appreciate your response but from what I hear it was more a disgruntled few. My mail is that the King boys were pretty annoyed he left and generally he is a good guy. As for North it must have been a difficult environment to play in when the standards of some are not met by others. Especially as I believe he still lives near the Yarra Valley and commuted to north 3 times a week. That in itself shows a fair commitment I would have thought. I think most "marquee" players have their knockers purely because that is what they are. Many lesser players don't deal with the limelight they seem to get. Do you know him at all? as you do have some strong thoughts.

That aside you seem to follow the cats closely, is the young Maher related to the spinner of a few years ago? My thoughts are that McNamara ( Camberwell) seems to get many glowing reports and may be the best spinner in Vic.

Everyone you speak to will tell you that Dempsey is a cancer that spreads thru the group like you wouldn't beleive. Every vlub he has set foot in has never had any team success! Clearly plays for himself and has realised that he is at the very end and hasn't played a final! What could top off a career with so many personal accolades but no team success than a premiership!!! Dandenong is a logical fit with Ayres retiring and a super talented list that will probably start favourites this year...

pockets19;223939 said:

Secondly McNamara is a good bowler with a few tricks, but is streets behind Holland and Beer. One of those two will be the next Victorian spinner.

Any news on Beer moving to the Kanagroos?

pockets19;223939 said:
Appreciate your response but from what I hear it was more a disgruntled few. My mail is that the King boys were pretty annoyed he left and generally he is a good guy.
This is the same Dempsey that Gale nearly had fisticuffs with at the Ryder? I'm sure he's really missed...

My thoughts are that McNamara ( Camberwell) seems to get many glowing reports and may be the best spinner in Vic.
James Bett > Jack McNamara.

McNamara is too inconsistent, bowls well for three weeks and then bowls rubbish for the next three.

hottip06;223951 said:
Secondly McNamara is a good bowler with a few tricks, but is streets behind Holland and Beer. One of those two will be the next Victorian spinner.

Any news on Beer moving to the Kanagroos?
Surely won't happen.

I mean, you'd probably back him to take about 98 wickets for the year, but it won't prove anything more than he already has. Beer has shown that he is a very good Grade cricket bowler; he needs to take wickets in 2nd XI cricket to show he's gone the next step.

Bringbackwarney;223894 said:
thought u said u had mates at geelong buddy. get off this page as well u joke.

The Premier Cricket fixture is due to be released next week. From what I understand every club will miss out on playing 2 teams this year. Does anyone know how the VCA decides which teams each club doesn't play? Wouldn't mind missing out on Dandenong and Melbourne!

five80;224097 said:
The Premier Cricket fixture is due to be released next week. From what I understand every club will miss out on playing 2 teams this year. Does anyone know how the VCA decides which teams each club doesn't play? Wouldn't mind missing out on Dandenong and Melbourne!

It would have to be randomly generated you would think

Back