Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket 08/09

Wheels;222811 said:
Cookson has made runs when its counted and my mail is that Alleyne wasn't up to where Cookson was when keeping to Hewat (the leggy).
Next you'll be saying that Cookson was stiff to miss the VAFA representative side when he's playing D4.

Cutting Half Volleys;222860 said:
One place Northcote has gone right is their appointment of coach. Huge coup.

Alleyne spent two years at Richmond, not just one.
he may of spent 2 years at Richmond but he was trying to sell himself to Hawthorn just before the start of the second season.

Cutting Half Volleys;222859 said:
Definitely happening. Both living in Ky at the moment, travelling down together for training/games, etc. Played a bit at South Melbourne a few years ago, and did OK. With their line-up, would have thought he'd end up being a fringe player though.
mate I played against Paul last year and I also played rep.cricket with him the guy will play a lot in that side

hottip06;222851 said:
Like I said, when was the last time the Hawks played in a game that counted?

Its hard to make runs in games that count when you haven't actually played in any!

Didn't Hawthorn play finals 2 years ago? Didn't Cookson get a 50 or something in those finals?

well well well, what a lot to comment on hey.

Firstly, Cookson is a hack. Not sure he batted entirely at no. 11 for Ringwood, but was certainly down the order. He was never a great keeper and only got a gig cause there was no-one else.

Secondly, Paul Newman will do well for Dandenong this season. He was consistent during his last stint for the Swans a few years ago, including a game where he and brother Dave formed the nucleous of a fantastic run chase against the Cats at Harry Trott. Will make some runs and possibly play a big hand in the Panthers second premiership.

If Paul Newman doesn't get any runs he can at least relax in the knowledge that he makes a fine Bolognese sauce.

five80;222873 said:
Didn't Hawthorn play finals 2 years ago? Didn't Cookson get a 50 or something in those finals?

Yeah sorry, my bad! Once out of 70 games, you've won me over!

And they didn't even win! Might have won if he turned that 50 into a hundred though.

Give me a spell mate...

baz1981;222945 said:
well well well, what a lot to comment on hey.

Firstly, Cookson is a hack. Not sure he batted entirely at no. 11 for Ringwood, but was certainly down the order. He was never a great keeper and only got a gig cause there was no-one else.

Secondly, Paul Newman will do well for Dandenong this season. He was consistent during his last stint for the Swans a few years ago, including a game where he and brother Dave formed the nucleous of a fantastic run chase against the Cats at Harry Trott. Will make some runs and possibly play a big hand in the Panthers second premiership.

Firstly can we not waste any more time on Cookson's ability (or lack there of). Its absolutely staggering that people can stick up for it given his career to date.

Secondly Paul Newman can play, but I tend to agree that he will be a fringe player at the Panthers. There is quite a queue developing at the top of the order with Sarna, Forsyth (both Bushranger rookies) as well as Donnell to fight for a spot with. Plus he is a two-day player and won't knock the first two out of a one-day spot. Given the first 5 games are one dayers you may not see Paul until closer to Christmas, if at all depending on the others form.

Wasn't knocking Newman. More just saying how good Dandenong's side is. Where does he fit in?

Forsyth
Chasemore
Sarna
Dempsey
D. Newman
J Pattinson
Damiano +
D Pattinson
Siddle
Boraston
Allen

If he was brought in for a bowler, maybe. You've still got some good young batsmen in the 2nds there at Dandy that he'll be competing with.

The older Pattinson and Siddle could have Vic commitments so there is two spots open

Guru™;223078 said:
The older Pattinson and Siddle could have Vic commitments so there is two spots open
As I stated, he could be brought in for a bowler. But it has the potential to leave them a little light on. Although with Newman and J Pattinson bowling, they could probably afford it.

My money would be on Geelong to dominate this season, with blokes like Aaron Finch, The Dean's brothers, Joel Davies all improving each season and the bowling of Carson and Walerys is pretty potent. Also Cam Alford should improve in leaps 'n' bounds in he's second year at premier cricket. I'm also tipping Justin Miller will have a massive season if he can have a injury free pre season. All that mixed with Clinton Peake, Liam Buchanan, and if Shanahan can stand up after an ordinary year and lose some weight, they'll be hard to beat.
Also one to watch is 16 year Justin Maher (leg spinner) i think he'll debut in the 1st XI at some stage this season.

And does anyone know whats happening with matthew harrison? is he still captain of prahan this season? seems to of gone missing since a couple of years ago when he was captaining aus U/19s

Harrison is still captaining Prahran. Has been on and off with a back injury.

You could be right about the Cats. Justin Maher will benefit from Daniel Fanning's retirement too opening up a main spinners role in their seconds

Is Harrison going to be captaining Prahran? He wasn't at the end of last season, Schlittler took over for the last few matches.

baz1981;223487 said:
Harrison is still captaining Prahran. Has been on and off with a back injury.

You could be right about the Cats. Justin Maher will benefit from Daniel Fanning's retirement too opening up a main spinners role in their seconds

Not too sue about Maher just yet, not exactly a frontliner in the seconds yet let alone the firsts, which is a massive jump up in standard.

It's a Fevolution!!!;223495 said:
Not too sue about Maher just yet, not exactly a frontliner in the seconds yet let alone the firsts, which is a massive jump up in standard.
Yeah he's only a 16 year old kid and geelong don't have a decent spinner now fanning has left, jeremy hart wont even be in justin mahers league when he developes, any kid with genuine leg spin abillity that has a wrongun' is going to be good for this state and country.
Will Matt Harrison ever get back to what he promised as a 18 year old? i hope for he's sake he does, i remember seeing him hit 90odd in the A.C.T against the england test side, he was smashing the likes of flintoff to all parts.

Bringbackwarney;223501 said:
jeremy hart wont even be in justin mahers league when he developes, any kid with genuine leg spin abillity that has a wrongun' is going to be good for this state and country.

Be very very careful about talking up young spinners! Remember Josh Mangan????

hottip06;223524 said:
Be very very careful about talking up young spinners! Remember Josh Mangan????
Yeah your right they can disappear as quick as they came, i just thing theres something special about this maher

Muller still going around, isn't he? Very good one day bowler.

Cutting Half Volleys;223548 said:
Muller still going around, isn't he? Very good one day bowler.

Yeah they have opened with him in one dayers before. Not in the same class as a Beer or Holland but servicable and is a competitor.

Back