Victorian Premier Cricket - 2010/11

My selections, only disagree on Melb Uni and Ringwood
Northcote (2-0-0) vs Footscray Edgewater (1-0-1)
Melbourne University (0-0-2) vs North Melbourne (0-0-2)
Frankston Peninsula (1-0-1) vs Richmond (0-0-2)
Prahran (2-0-0) vs Geelong (2-0-0)
St Kilda (1-0-1) vs Carlton (2-0-0)
Hawthorn Monash University (0-0-2) vs Camberwell Magpies (1-0-1)
Melbourne (1-0-1) vs Casey South Melbourne (0-0-2)
Fitzroy Doncaster (1-0-1) vs Essendon (0-0-2)
Dandenong (2-0-0) vs Ringwood (2-0-0)

The weather isn't looking too good for tomorrow,may not be a full day's cricket available so the right call at the coin toss could be very important.

Premier Cricket - Round 3 - 1-Day. Selctions highlighted

Northcote (2-0-0) vs Footscray Edgewater (1-0-1)
Melbourne University (0-0-2) vs North Melbourne (0-0-2)
Frankston Peninsula (1-0-1) vs Richmond (0-0-2)
Prahran (2-0-0) vs Geelong (2-0-0)
St Kilda (1-0-1) vs Carlton (2-0-0)
Hawthorn Monash University (0-0-2) vs Camberwell Magpies (1-0-1)
Melbourne (1-0-1) vs Casey South Melbourne (0-0-2)
Fitzroy Doncaster (1-0-1) vs Essendon (0-0-2)
Dandenong (2-0-0) vs Ringwood (2-0-0)

Good luck to all teams.

Never tip North Melbourne to win, I saw it first hand watching them at the junction. They will struggle to win a game, period.

Re: Victorian Premier Cricket - 2010/11

Don't know that he'll play the first game, but he'll definitely play some games throughout the year.

Really not that much different to Tasmania employing Bevan as an assistant coach, or South Australia doing the same with Matthew Elliott, so that they could get around the salary restrictions.

Yep, he played alright.

I dont care about getting around salary restrictions. I care about old codgers taking spots in the team that should be going to younger players. Jewell retired last year which was a perfect end for him. Now hes just a clogger. And how the hell does Quiney get a game? Its past time to move on from these guys.

The selection of some of these players in the U23's is a joke. Nothing against the kid but Ian has played a hand full of 1st games for Ringwood and he now gets a gig for the Vic 2nds. You can also add Hancock to the list. They might have played Vic 19s etc but surely their are better performing players in the 1st grade that warrent selection. Few of these players havent really earnt their spot.

Could not agree more. Unfortunately the state selectors have chosen to place the emphasis on the pathway program. In fact it is now more important to make runs for the Vic U17's and U19's than make 1st XI runs for your premier club. It shouldn't be that way but it is. There are plenty of cricketers who should be playing ahead of Hancock. Alex Keath will be next. He got 30 odd on the weekend which should be enough for him to get a state game.

Could not agree more. Unfortunately the state selectors have chosen to place the emphasis on the pathway program. In fact it is now more important to make runs for the Vic U17's and U19's than make 1st XI runs for your premier club. It shouldn't be that way but it is. There are plenty of cricketers who should be playing ahead of Hancock. Alex Keath will be next. He got 30 odd on the weekend which should be enough for him to get a state game.

I understand that the selectors want to blood these kids but I agree with you. If the 18 and 19 year old's who are just coming out of the national junior carnivals get picked in the futures league, the late 22-25 year old latish bloomers like an Evan Gulbis will be left behind. The selectors really do need to find the right balance in the future.

Round 4 tomorrow and the weather looks like it is going to cooperate for the day, save for a shower or two. So, my selections for the round are:
Premier Cricket - Round 4. 1-Dayer. Selections Bolded.
Footscray Edgewater (1-0-1) vs. Melbourne University (0-0-2)
Richmond (0-0-2) vs. Northcote (2-0-0)
Geelong (2-0-0) vs. Frankston Peninsula (1-0-1)
Carlton (2-0-0) vs. Prahran (2-0-0)
Camberwell Magpies (1-0-1) vs. St Kilda (1-0-1)
Casey South Melbourne (0-0-2) vs. Hawthorn Monash University (0-0-2)
Essendon (0-0-2) vs. Melbourne (1-0-1)
Ringwood (2-0-0) vs. Fitzroy Doncaster (1-0-1)
North Melbourne (0-0-2) vs. Dandenong (2-0-0)

Good Luck to all teams.

Okay, looks like another wet Saturday coming up. No wet trackers with any exposed form but here's who I think will get the points if the games get a result.
Premier Cricket - Round 5 - 1-Day. Selections Bolded.
Footscray Edgewater (2-0-1) vs. North Melbourne (0-0-3)
Melbourne University (0-0-3) vs. Richmond (1-0-2)
Northcote (2-0-1) vs. Geelong (3-0-0)
Frankston Peninsula (1-0-2) vs. Carlton (3-0-0)
Prahran (2-0-1) vs. Camberwell Magpies (1-0-2)
St Kilda (2-0-1) vs. Casey South Melbourne (1-0-2)
Hawthorn Monash University (0-0-3) vs. Essendon (-0-0-3)
Melbourne (2-0-1) vs. Ringwood (2-0-1)
Fitzroy Doncaster (2-0-1) vs. Dandenong (3-0-0)

Yep, he played alright.

I dont care about getting around salary restrictions. I care about old codgers taking spots in the team that should be going to younger players. Jewell retired last year which was a perfect end for him. Now hes just a clogger. And how the hell does Quiney get a game? Its past time to move on from these guys.

Quiney gets a game cause he has more talent then you in his small finger,if the selecters let him settle in one batting position he would thrive,no one has a strike rate like his and he can turn a game on its head.

Okay, looks like another wet Saturday coming up. No wet trackers with any exposed form but here's who I think will get the points if the games get a result.
Premier Cricket - Round 5 - 1-Day. Selections Bolded.
Footscray Edgewater (2-0-1) vs. North Melbourne (0-0-3)
Melbourne University (0-0-3) vs. Richmond (1-0-2)
Northcote (2-0-1) vs. Geelong (3-0-0)
Frankston Peninsula (1-0-2) vs. Carlton (3-0-0)
Prahran (2-0-1) vs. Camberwell Magpies (1-0-2)
St Kilda (2-0-1) vs. Casey South Melbourne (1-0-2)
Hawthorn Monash University (0-0-3) vs. Essendon (-0-0-3)
Melbourne (2-0-1) vs. Ringwood (2-0-1)
Fitzroy Doncaster (2-0-1) vs. Dandenong (3-0-0)

Hawthorn beat Essendon? How did that happen?

Some very cheap 5 points gained on the weekend. Controversial "Tie" awarded to Geelong and Northcote despite the first innings not even being completed.

Been following district cricket for 15 years & can't work out why Footscray & North Melbourne are always so rubbish??

north dont have a home ground, and had ordinary facilities before hand.
footscray, have a decent pathway program and really good facilities- prob should have come good the last couple of years but fair few experienced players have left now left to rebuild.

what is going on down at essendon? players not happy?

north dont have a home ground, and had ordinary facilities before hand.
footscray, have a decent pathway program and really good facilities- prob should have come good the last couple of years but fair few experienced players have left now left to rebuild.

what is going on down at essendon? players not happy?

Starts with trying to make Carl Sandri into an opener should be batting down at 7.

Starts with trying to make Carl Sandri into an opener should be batting down at 7.
Agree - Carl Sandri should be batting at 7. Maybe he'll go back there in the 2dayers. Other than Fletcher and Berger, the rest of the batters don't seem up to it IMO. Bowling seems ok with Reid, Smith, Berger and Sandri but they just need more runs

I understand that the selectors want to blood these kids but I agree with you. If the 18 and 19 year old's who are just coming out of the national junior carnivals get picked in the futures league, the late 22-25 year old latish bloomers like an Evan Gulbis will be left behind. The selectors really do need to find the right balance in the future.
Agree about Gulbis, but the Futures League requires a certain number of Under23 players. Same could be said about Dan King (Ring), Steve Seymour (Prah), Ben Clements (FP). All have been getting runs/wkts in Premier Cricket for a few years now - but maybe not as successful as Gulbis.

Seymour and Dan King have both played some Futures League in the past 12 months. King has been away and only just returned from the US two weeks ago, so only played his first game back in the firsts this year. If someone can notify me how Seymour has four district tons, I'd love to know, as I've never seen him make over 20. Can bowl, though.

Throwing Carl up the order to open in One Day games has been done at Footscray as well, technically he's a good bat, and he hits the ball well, it's just that he's prone to a brain explosion once an over. Interesting to see Mato and Macrae in the 2nds this week, both players with multiple district tons to their name.

Back