West Indies In New Zealand 2013/14

Nice win by New Zealand, I think on their best day they can trouble a few of the better sides. And what a great catch by Boult, up there with the best.

Well things going from bad to worse for the Windies. His action is definitely pushing it from what I've seen although one has to wonder how bowlers like Ajmal get away with some of their variations in particular..

lol at how biased the kiwi commentators are, that looked very close live, reasonable decision.

Just clipping the stumps and looked close live? Never looked close, very good decision though. Our commentators aren't biased, they're c***, there's a difference.

McCullum and possibly Hesson need a clip behind the ears, win the toss and put a team in when they have the spinner that we have never been able to pick free to bowl last? Excluding the Narine factor our bowlers were struggling to get up for this one after a lot of bowling in the first 2 tests, seems funny now that the public reason for removing Taylor as captain was because he "...irritated the bowlers". If I was Boult I'd be using McCullum's kitbag as a portaloo.

NZ's not that great but bowling is not our problem, batting and how our bowlers are handled are the real issues.

Hadn't seen it until just then, but... yeah. Wow.

Can't wait for Jesse Ryder's inspiring return to the national team some time during this series.
Named in the ODI squad! :D Even without Gayle for the Windies, this could be an explosive ODI and T20 series.

As for today's Test play, it looks like New Zealand's pacemen deserve a lot of credit as well as the innings being branded another Calypso Collapso. With Bravo out, there was need (and pressure) on Brathwaite, Powell (especially), and Edwards to show some firm solidarity while making runs. The bowling attack looks all wrong, and they can only get away with using Sammy as a frontliner because Narine is so effective. I keep wishing for the return of Roach/Edwards/Taylor, but in the meantime it would make more sense for Deonarine or Samuels* to play more of a spinner's role instead of Permaul, particularly with such brittle batting. The bottom line, though, is that each West Indian player just needs to solidify their basic skillset and play with grit and for the longevity of a Test innings.

* He can still bowl without that illegal variation, right? He should take after Swann and stick to the basic yet effective craft of off spin bowling. Both he and Deonarine have proved to be very effective wicket takers in the past, and if they can both handle the added pressure of acting as all-rounders, it would help avoid awkward selections such as the one in this game.

Demolition, should have been 3-0 if that damn rain hadn't interfered. Good signs for NZ but we all know that this is still just the start of a long road so I fully expect India will still beat us when they get here but at least we'll push them this time. Boult & Southee can bowl against anyone but we can't rely on wickets from Wagner & Sodhi which is a worry. The batting still looks vulnerable outside of Taylor & Williamson but there are signs of life after the Bangladesh debacle. The good news is that even if we fail badly against India there are players up and down the country waiting in the wings.

So Shillingford has been banned from bowling in international cricket full stop. This is a joke. There has been way worse than him... Murlidaran *cough couch*. I'd say Kane Williamson is more of a chucker than him for godness sake!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/current/story/700733.html

Muralitharan didn't chuck. He was within the 15 degrees limit set by the ICC! It looks like a throw, simply because he has an abnormal amount of flexibility in his shoulders and wrist. (Optical illusion) How can you judge him and call him a thrower when scientific research suggests otherwise? 99% of all bowlers throw to some extent, and I don't hear anyone calling Shane Warne a chucker, even though that's exactly what he was. (All leg spinners straighten their elbow with a few degrees when bowling a straight one) The ICC changed the rules so that everyone is allowed to flex their elbow and straighten it by 15 degrees, (anythng above 15 degrees can easily be indentified as a throw) Muralitharan never exceeded the 15 degrees. Besides, everyone is allowed the exact same elbow flex as him, so why aren't there more bowlers like him? Because it's difficult! Appreciate the brilliance of his skill !

Murali bought up in a NZ-WI series thread?

Anyone have the ground dimensions for Queenstown? Damn good effort by Anderson & Ryder. Anderson has earned himself a decent IPL payday there.

Anyone have the ground dimensions for Queenstown?
I was trying to find them too. Sky Sports NZ usually does a Hawkeye runaround with a ruler of the ground dimensions before the match starts, but I wasn't watching the coverage anyway. Apparently, Eden Park gets to 51m at some parts and the QEC dimensions are comparably on the "cusp of legality".

Damn missed this game, must've been over by the time I finall got uo and turned on the TV yesterday.

Kiwis making an absolute dog's breakfast of this run chase. McCullum almost letting his bat fly on to his stumps after getting caught in the deep.

Haha McCullum what a shot. Good little inning from Ronchi, he really needed those runs. Kiwis set the WI set 190 to win.

Back