Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

If anyone tries to claim there is no NSW bias now then they are simply FOS

Australia Test squad Shane Watson, Simon Katich, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, Marcus North, Brad Haddin (wk), Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Doug Bollinger, Ben Hilfenhaus.

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

It's bit tough on George Bailey, but really they need some properly young players in the squad.

There isn't a single player under 26 in the starting line-up, that is unless Smith gets a run with the test team and that is unlikely, his bowling isn't good enough. Katich would still be a better second option than him.

I just wish that we could get a half-decent keeper for the test bowlers.

Hmmm

ODI average of 20, State average of 24 v State Average of 30 with the ball

I wonder who to pick...Oh I know, dont worry about how good they bowl, lets just pick the player from NSW

eddiesmith;402225 said:
If anyone tries to claim there is no NSW bias now then they are simply FOS

There is a definate bias towards NSW over the last few years. It cant be denied. But why? What is behind it ?

We do have a strong publicity machine in NSW that runs on a mix of hype and peroxide. The kind of that says Hughes is the next bradman, Smith a new benaud, that sort of thing.

Hazlewood the new McGrath I heard a few times in the last 24 hours...

Great to see Usman Khawaja in the test squad. He is a great talent.

Big Doug looked quality today as usual.

SteveyD;402518 said:
Big Doug looked quality today as usual.

Temperamentally he is pretty uncomplicated which is excellent. I hope he remains that way.

Tait bowled well also. Batting is what is letting us down, Watson and Paine can get a good opening stand going but never go on with it, which is really hurting us. Then it's left to someone down the order to make the runs and in the third game that didn't happen.

Ljp86;402546 said:
Tait bowled well also. Batting is what is letting us down, Watson and Paine can get a good opening stand going but never go on with it, which is really hurting us. Then it's left to someone down the order to make the runs and in the third game that didn't happen.

I think you can't blame either of them yesterday. A 75 run partnership at 5 an over is pretty good at OT. Punter has been next to no help, nor has Huss. That's what's hurting us. The really experienced batsmen falling down on the job.

Beeswax;402550 said:
I think you can't blame either of them yesterday. A 75 run partnership at 5 an over is pretty good at OT. Punter has been next to no help, nor has Huss. That's what's hurting us. The really experienced batsmen falling down on the job.

Threw away another good start though, they've had a good start in the three games but haven't turned it into a really good one. You're right about Ponting and Hussey though, they haven't done much.

Tim Paine has done Brad Haddin the world of good with his batting in this tournament. What has been going through his head out there? Is Clarke his idol?

Having been to the ODI at The Oval yesterday, a few things occurred to me:

- Pietersen looks bloody dangerous for his 5 minutes per innings.
- If Clarke was cut out for the last 10 overs of one-day games, he would have made his 100 by the 45th over. As it was, he got stranded on 99* which my section of the crowd found quite amusing :D
- Steve Smith plays the crowd quite well because he got some immense stick from his section but he just played along nicely.
- Ryan Harris has a lovely clean bowling action and his stats are excellent.

lewissaffin;402767 said:
Having been to the ODI at The Oval yesterday, a few things occurred to me:

- Pietersen looks bloody dangerous for his 5 minutes per innings.
- If Clarke was cut out for the last 10 overs of one-day games, he would have made his 100 by the 45th over. As it was, he got stranded on 99* which my section of the crowd found quite amusing :D
- Steve Smith plays the crowd quite well because he got some immense stick from his section but he just played along nicely.
- Ryan Harris has a lovely clean bowling action and his stats are excellent.

Harris is growing on me. He appears to have nerve.

You surely are not suggesting that Clarke is a red-inker? Perish the thought.

Beeswax;402659 said:
Tim Paine has done Brad Haddin the world of good with his batting in this tournament. What has been going through his head out there? Is Clarke his idol?

Been very, very ordinary for the entire series. After showing a lot of promise early on, he continues to bat like a snail. Bring in Ronchi or someone who is capable of playing a few shots at the top of the order like Watson. Interesting to see Marsh was brought back for the last game and scored 59 off only 50 balls, only took them five games to think of that. :rolleyes:

And that's that, Tait gets rid of Swann and Australia win the final game. However, England win the series 3-2 having won the first three games in close encounters but Australia have thrashed England in the final two matches. Perhaps a tail of taking too long for the Australian machine to get going.

Back