City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Sensational effort by Shelton from all reports. Wouldn't be getting carried away and calling him a freak however. District 3rds is no big feat and over the course of the season his performances don't stand out above anyone else. With that said, it's definitely the best individual performance I can recall in Woolnough Shield. Bit of a shame he didn't get a 10 for or the ton, cos it sounds like he desrved one of them.

Great win at HWCC yesterday. Far and away the best team performance I've been a part of. Cetainly helps our cause when we can get our best 11 on the park - which coincidentally has only happened the past 2 games.

Spongebob,
Looks like you managed to prevail in what must have been a brilliant match.Any feedback appreciated.
Yeah - it was a great game! 8 off the last over - 3 off the final ball.... and they scored one. Hats off to them - they batted well - Chris Manakis, McConvville, Harris, and to his credit the keeper did get 51 with a 'bit' going on....
wink.png
2/218 at one stage with a run a ball required, we looked to be up against it. But the guys kept believing we could win and we stuck at it and with some good fielding and bowling in the end we prevailed - just! Best game I've played in at the club - no doubt about that. I think we can move on from all the crap of last week and Wednesday. At the end of the day when you can have a well earned beer (both teams) with the opposition things can't be all that bad. Big game next week against the westars, who'd be smarting after being rolled. Luke Shelton is a good player - no question. He bowled with some good pace against us earlier this year - one of the best actions going around. I guess he just needs to string some more consistency into his game and we'll certainly hear more of him.

Sensational effort by Shelton from all reports. Wouldn't be getting carried away and calling him a freak however. District 3rds is no big feat and over the course of the season his performances don't stand out above anyone else. With that said, it's definitely the best individual performance I can recall in Woolnough Shield. Bit of a shame he didn't get a 10 for or the ton, cos it sounds like he desrved one of them.

Great win at HWCC yesterday. Far and away the best team performance I've been a part of. Cetainly helps our cause when we can get our best 11 on the park - which coincidentally has only happened the past 2 games.

Uncle Mick highett west are still a very average team,you always mouth off after a win,but dont hear from you after a loss.

Bucks,

You must be wet behind the ears Uncle Mick is on here with an opinion win lose or draw and makes no excuses.

Wait until you earn your BCF stripes before having a go at one of the Legends/Hall of Fame BCF ers

Merl

having problems up loading the file so here is the Merlot Horlicks ladder

Merlot 81
Jimmy 77
Mentalist 74
PDog 74

No Fox 73
Bottsy 72
Golf 69
Ord Bloke 66
Uncle Mick 66
Sugar 60
Brudes 57
Peter Parker 54

I will try to get the fixture in the next post

Merl

Rd 10 fixture

Longy

Omega v Bent Uniting
Hamp Central v Mackie
Le Page v Bent ANA
Elwood v West Bent
King Hth v East Sandy
Car Sth v Bri Un

Wooly

Ana v Hamp Utd
East Sandy v Ch Hts
Bent Unt v Omega
Moo West v Wash Pk
Bri Unn v H west
Cluden v Aspen RSL

Booby Daz

B Utg v K Hth
M Wand v Le Page
Mackie Hamp Central
C Park v Wash Pk
West Bent v Elwood
Sth East Caulf v Car Sth

Merl

Omega’s fate is now in the hands of others and they would be really hoping that Uniting get up in the Woolnough grade and win the flag.

The Invicibles continued on with their winning form and have now added the minor premiership to their list of achievements for the season. The Beach boys blew a perfect opportunity to grab second spot when they dropped a match against a rejuvenated Mackie. They are now in the pack desperately batting for a final’s spot with six teams vying. They come up against the rejuvenated Cowboys who are now 2/2. This will not be a walk in the park for the Beach Boys, but they are back at the beach and will be looking forward to playing in familiar surroundings. I am not convinced that the Beach Boys have the muster to cut it with the Invicibles et al, especially away from the Beach.

Centrals meet Mackie who have ridden themselves of the relegation monkey off their back. This will not be a walk in the park for the Centrals as the beach boys discovered. This should be an interesting match. The hapless Ommies meet the Invicibles and this could become very ugly for the Ommies as the Invicibles crank it up a few notches. The Invicibles batting line up is depressing if you are an opposition bowler. The Hoops travel to Spider Park to engage a Spider’s outfit that has made 41, 90, 88 &100 in the past three matches. (319 runs for the loss of 40 wickets!) The Hoops are well known for getting ahead of themselves, and this is one match they need to get savage and ground what is left of the Spider’s confidence into the ground. Clearly the rehab is taking longer than anticipated.

The Royals come against the Panthers who are a difficult team to beat on their patch. The Royals hang on as an outside chance (and I can hear Jimmy yelling in the background….no chance). Their batting has some more steel about it whilst their fielding has markedly improved from last season. Another win and the Royals will loiter on the fringes waiting for a team to trip up. How they must be contemplating some of their earlier performances. The Juggernaut visits Kingston Heath and engages a shaky Golfers outfit. The Juggernaut is the wrong team to come up against with finals beckoning. Leroy will have his work cut out to get his troops confidence back after they crumbled against the Cowboys for 58.

The Wash Ups and Uniting stood toe to toe and battled it out in what was an ironic twist to the controversy of the Australia Day Battle of Bentleigh.The result was worthy of final and clearly whilst sitting 4th, Uniting are a dangerous outfit and with two games remaining selection at Uniting is taking on a sense of urgency for players who want to be part of Grand Final success in all grades.

The Westars had a day that will be revive memories of their disastrous Grand Final performance against the Juggernaut many
years ago when they were dismissed for 27. They must now consign this performance to the dust bin of history and try and
move forward. The Party boys were devastating and no doubt would have celebrated well into the afternoon and into the early
hours of Sunday morning. Chelsea Heights brushed aside Cluden to ensure their top 2 spot and then meet the Wash Ups in the
final round for what will be no doubt be the clash for top spot. Highett West overcame the Juggernaut with a consistent
performance forcing Mick to contemplate what could have been. The Royals are stuck on the bottom of the ladder, two games
adrift from the field, come up against Hampton United in what is a must win game for the Royals. They fell just short against
Omega which still holds some hope of making the finals and come up against Bentleigh Uniting who will still be smarting at
their close loss to the Sharks. Uniting cannot afford to drop this one as it is literally a 12 point match.

Army’s Wanderers have a mini final of sorts when the 4th placed Le Page visit the luscious green surrounds of Fawkner Park. A
win here and they are almost assured of a finals spot, but they have a lot of work to do in the meantime. Dismissed for a
disappointing Lord Nelson 111 against the Sharks, they were really going to struggle to defend such a paltry score.

The Royals come against the Panthers who are a difficult team to beat on their patch. The Royals hang on as an outside chance (and I can hear Jimmy yelling in the background….no chance).

No chance Clock man. Apart from mathematically.

Machine Finds Extra Gear

After enduring a horror year on the field, Mackie finally produced something near their best with the ball and in the field defeating Elwood in a key encounter in Longmuir Shield cricket.
Whilst it is not a mortal blow to Elwood, it is a skewer through the heart of their hopes of grabbing second place on the ladder and the crucial double chance.
Mackie, defending 198, struggled early with The Woods makeshift openers doing a solid job and their coach Steve Jones looking to be in good touch after coming in after the loss of the first Elwood wicket. It was only when Jones (25) hooked a short ball from Chris Lavery with military precision down deep fine legs throat with the score at 52 that things turned ugly for The Woods. A defiant Jackson Bunting (18) followed immediately after and Lavery and Matt Supree sliced and diced Elwood to the effect that they went from 1/52 to 6/66 in twenty match defining minutes. After fighting hard to get themselves back in the contest at 8/133 through Jack Mussett (25*), Elwood then lost their last two wickets in quick succession to be trumped for 140, Lavery (4/10) and Supree (3/39) revealing that there is a bit of talent in the Mackie youth movement.
Hampton Central (143) lost their temporary hold on second place when they were soundly beaten by Bentleigh Uniting (7/188). The Two-Blues grabbed a few early wickets but not enough to seriously threaten Uniting who cruised through to the target thanks to Brett Ernst (73*) in a welcome return to form.
Brighton Union (6/143) regained second spot as a result of a solid win over Le Page Park (7/141). The Panthers laboured through their innings and were kept well in check by Julius Waras-Carstensen (4/22) and Stuart Bell (3/39) but Adrian “The Don” Taranto (46*) gave the innings some late impetus and provided a competitive total. Unfortunately Le Page lost their skipper and opening bowler Steve McConchie at the start of Unions reply after an over-enthusiastic celebration after he dismissed in-form Darian Kuzma in his opening over. Ivan Delac (35) and Ano Apostolopoulos (53) then effectively closed out the game with an 83 run stand in quick time and although The Unionites got the staggers losing 4/14 to be 5/101, they got home comfortably enough with Hamish McLennan (22) and Antony Stojko (22*) steadying the ship despite a fine spell from Michael Deiacovo (3/34).
Bentleigh ANA’s post Christmas run continued with a 48 run win over Omega. Defending their 240 proved to be no easy task with all of Omega’s bats getting promising starts but Cal Wilkinson (42) topping the bill. The Ommies realistically needed two of their top order to post half centuries if they were to track down the imposing target but ANA spinner Andrew Lee (5/67) was on the job again, his own form mirroring that of his teams as Omega came up short at 192. Mohammad Rasmijinan (3/59) made another valuable all round contribution.
East Sandringham belted Carnegie South. Resuming at 4/55 chasing The Redbacks paltry 88, East eased past the score reaching 8/110 before declaring and then had The Spiders 5/39 in their second knock but the back end of the Carnegie South line up fought hard and stretched out the innings to 100 whilst consuming plenty of overs to halt the East Sandringham charge. Luke “Sala” Manders was slippery with the ball picking up 5/35 helping East to leapfrog into third position on the ladder.
The West Bentleigh/Kingston Heath clash petered out with West batting on from 6/138 to reach 171 in reply to The Golfers first innings total of 58 with Damian Casey eventually dismissed for 69. Kingston Heath faring much better in their second try finishing at 0/79.
Woolnough Shield saw a thriller between top four teams Washington Park (249) holding on by the barest of margins from Bentleigh Uniting (248) despite Chris Manakis making 77. In one of the most amazing games of the season, top fancy Moorabbin West were skittled for only 34 by previously mediocre Aspendale Edithvale RSL with Luke Shelton (8/13) having a memorable match after making an unbeaten 98 last week.
In C Grade Melbourne Wanderers veteran Paddy Shine (125) played a lone hand out of his teams total of 199. After arriving at the crease with the score at 5/40, Shine smashed 125 of the last 159 runs his team made but alas they were still 52 runs short when Shine was left stranded. In D Grade a superb partnership of 248 between Jim Defegely (138) and Imzy Amro (109*) allowed Brighton Union to recover from 2/35 and chase down 300 against East Sandringham.

Longmuir Shield Round 10 matches (with teams points in brackets)
Omega (0) v Bentleigh Uniting (54) The Brick

Hampton Central (36) v Mackie (12) Simpson Desert

Le Page Park (24) v Bentleigh ANA (30) Panther Park

Elwood (36) v West Bentleigh (18) Wattie Park

Kingston Heath (18) v East Sandringham (36) 19th Fairway

Carnegie South (24) v Brighton Union (36) Lords

Tips for Round 10

Longmuir:
Bentleigh Uniting
Hampton Central
Le Page
Elwood
E.S.B.C.
Brighton Union

Woolnough:
Bentleigh ANA
Chelsea Hts
Bentleigh Uniting
Washington Park
Highett West
Cluden

Machine Finds Extra Gear

Unfortunately Le Page lost their skipper and opening bowler Steve McConchie at the start of Unions reply after an over-enthusiastic celebration after he dismissed in-form Darian Kuzma in his opening over.

Hardly an over-enthusiastic celebration, c'mon Jimmy. Just a fist pump in the air & out pops the shoulder (4th time). Luckily Stuart Bell had 2 mates who are paramedics that had an ambulance nearby who took me to Sandy hospital to get it put back in.

Sorry Dr.Squeak, did not want to make light of it, especially given I knew you had done it at least twice before and I know how painful it is. Hope you're marching to recovery and it is not season ending?
Better start playing & celebrating (and dancing) like an old guy if you want to play into your 30's!!!

No little blue pills (would not let me put the v word in???) for PDog, he's tipped prematurely again.

Sorry Dr.Squeak, did not want to make light of it, especially given I knew you had done it at least twice before and I know how painful it is. Hope you're marching to recovery and it is not season ending?
Better start playing & celebrating (and dancing) like an old guy if you want to play into your 30's!!!

No little blue pills (would not let me put the v word in???) for PDog, he's tipped prematurely again.

No need to apologise Jimmy, you know i don't mind people taking the pi$$. My shoulder's a bit like the Good Year tyre's ad....."if it only happens once a year, it's a good year". Unfortunately it is season ending & i needed a full reco prior to it happening this time, so it's probably time to do it.

Or the ton & hat-trick against West Bentleigh. Still the most brutal innings I've witnessed. Not sure any of the Reid brothers have ever been hit into their parents backyard other than Barney doing it to Panther that day.

Back