England In Australia - The Ashes 2013/14

Hi all.

My name is James. I love cricket and am excited to hear your thoughts on current cricket events and related cricket happenings.

So apart from a great result from Australia, there were numerous verbal encounters between Australia and England on the field. The most noticeable was an exchange between Clarke and Anderson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNt-...ture=youtu.be).

Do you think this level of sledging and banter is good for game or should the players tone it down a notch?

So Trott is going home with some personal issues.. Batting order reshuffle, Bell up to 3 and Bairstow in at 5?

Going to expose myself here - I don't like the Aus cricket team. My only highlight was Haddin missing out on the ton :) . England batted ideally to Australia's bowling plans. Slowly accumulating runs means that when a wicket is taken, it has a bigger negative psychological impact than a wicket otherwise would. This game is a write-off. England, particularly Cook, must improve at Adelaide.

Who do you support then?

Great win by Australia, dominated the game from when Johnson joined Haddin in the first innings right up until the final wicket of Anderson on day four. Hopefully they can keep it going for the remainder of the series.

Boy, I bet Warner wishes he could have those comments back now.

It will be interesting to see what Cricket Australia's response is to a clear case of workplace bullying of a vulnerable individual. If I was an Australian cricketer I would not want to play in the same team as him.

I was going for England but the Ashes hves spiced up a bit which bodes well for the series. Jonathan Trott going home is massive loss though and maybe just maybe...it's Australia's Ashes' to win now? Too early to tell. ;)

I was going for England but the Ashes hves spiced up a bit which bodes well for the series. Jonathan Trott going home is massive loss though and maybe just maybe...it's Australia's Ashes' to win now? Too early to tell. ;)

I had a bet down for Aus to win 3-1 on Weds at 12/1 then I got distracted and forgot to click through... think I might live to regret that.

It will be interesting to see what Cricket Australia's response is to a clear case of workplace bullying of a vulnerable individual. If I was an Australian cricketer I would not want to play in the same team as him.
Shouldn't the ECB be held responsible for placing an employee who is currently psychologically vulnerable into a hostile and high stress environment without at least checking with him to see if he was really up to the task? It should be considered that Warner described the shot that got Trott out as "poor and weak", which it was, Warner did not describe Trott that way as some people seem to be making out.

I don't like the Aussie attitude to sledging etc. but the reactions from the English media and fans have been strange considering how some of their players have been acting over the last few years.

This article just has to be seen to be believed, especially this bit..
It was interesting to see Clarke employing the “banter” defence in explaining his threat to Anderson.

“Banter” is Australia’s equivalent of the Fifth Amendment, granting automatic immunity from even the most grievous accusations. Calling a player’s wife fat? Aw, banter. Homophobia, sexism? Aw, top banter. The systematic extermination of Australia’s indigenous population between the late 18th century and early 20th centuries? Aw, banter and smallpox, mate. Banter and smallpox.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...icket-and-is-an-excuse-for-witless-abuse.html

Is this guy for real? What a f***ing clueless idiot.

Yeah but Anderson means sarcastic quips like "you'll be good enough to nick one one day mate" said with a wry grin. Not pathetic crap like "Prepare for a broken ************** arm". There's no place for that kind of thing on a cricket pitch, not now, not ever. If Cook had said that, I would have been in favour of a one match ban.

Who knows, I wouldn't believe a word Warney says, he's a notorious wind up merchant. Every series he had 12 new deliveries.
There was obviously something heated said between Bailey and Anderson, Warne bulldusts a lot but I find it highly unlikely that Warne would just completely fabricate something like that. Each to their won but I certainly find that more believable than Anderson's banter merely consisting of stuff as innocuous as "you'll be good enough to nick one one day mate"...

There was obviously something heated said between Bailey and Anderson, Warne bulldusts a lot but I find it highly unlikely that Warne would just completely fabricate something like that. Each to their won but I certainly find that more believable than Anderson's banter merely consisting of stuff as innocuous as "you'll be good enough to nick one one day mate"...

Holy cow batman there is some funny C&*p being said around here. How many of you have played any cricket??? because from what is being said i would think very few. I have been in the middle of some very hostile exchanges on field, said some stuff and had it thrown but come on it is the way it is. If the keeper and slips are not sledging they are not doing there job. The only crime here is the pathetic attempt at a sledge that Clarke was heard to make but really this is captain candy cane we are dealing with. Watch out or i'll smack you very nastily. Yes centurion throw him to the floor.

Please get over yourself. It was a case of poor timing and if you can not take the heat get out of the kitchen. I remember some other POMS that could not take Australia, was it Marcus Trescothick and Steve Harmisson who could not bowl properly because he was missing mummy. This is test cricket, grow up.

Back