England In Australia - The Ashes 2013/14

Holy cow batman there is some funny C&*p being said around here. How many of you have played any cricket??? because from what is being said i would think very few. I have been in the middle of some very hostile exchanges on field, said some stuff and had it thrown but come on it is the way it is. If the keeper and slips are not sledging they are not doing there job. The only crime here is the pathetic attempt at a sledge that Clarke was heard to make but really this is captain candy cane we are dealing with. Watch out or i'll smack you very nastily. Yes centurion throw him to the floor.

If the keeper and slips sledge abusively, the game should be immediately forfeited, and they should be given life bans from all forms of cricket. There is no place in cricket for workplace bullying. This is 2013 ffs. Some people on this thread have extremely old fashioned unreconstructed attitudes.

There wouldn't be a keeper left in the game if you kicked them out for sledging.

Nairbe, Clarke was pointing out in a rather crass way that Mitchell Johnson was bowling pretty damn fast. I don't understand why people are taking this as Clarke saying he was going to wallop Anderson. He was telling him to 'face up' for crying out loud.

There wouldn't be a keeper left in the game if you kicked them out for sledging.

Nairbe, Clarke was pointing out in a rather crass way that Mitchell Johnson was bowling pretty damn fast. I don't understand why people are taking this as Clarke saying he was going to wallop Anderson. He was telling him to 'face up' for crying out loud.

Rubbish, keepers in the UK don't sledge, they're normally very friendly and, if they want to, distract you in more intelligent, respectful ways. This prevalence for never-ending moronic abuse is an Aussie disease to go along with the traditional Aussie racism, homophobia and sexism. It is needs to be stamped out of the game with extreme prejudice. I'm talking immediate match forfeits and life bans.

Rubbish, keepers in the UK don't sledge, they're normally very friendly and, if they want to, distract you in more intelligent, respectful ways. This prevalence for never-ending moronic abuse is an Aussie disease to go along with the traditional Aussie racism, homophobia and sexism.

Yeah ok pal...

I bet you thought that the article I quoted on the previous page that the ignorant imbecile wrote was great too?

Will we see Bres get the nod ahead of Tremlett, now that he's back in contention for selection? It would seem a bit harsh on Rankin, but it wouldn't at all surprise me.

Never took it that way just saw and heard the coverage and it came up as a fairly lame sledge. It was not witty or clever, rather plain dumb. Sledging does require a certain level of refinement or it is plain abuse and that is for the Indian's.

SLA - remember the bit i said about wondering whether you have played much cricket, MMMM?

Never took it that way just saw and heard the coverage and it came up as a fairly lame sledge. It was not witty or clever, rather plain dumb. Sledging does require a certain level of refinement or it is plain abuse and that is for the Indian's.

SLA - remember the bit i said about wondering whether you have played much cricket, MMMM?

A lot more than you, no doubt. Hence the reason you're only active on the fan section here.

Wonder what the new drop-in pitch will be like, hopefully wont be too lifeless.. Spinners seem to be taking most of the wickets in the Shield so far.

SLA said:
Rubbish, keepers in the UK don't sledge, they're normally very friendly and, if they want to, distract you in more intelligent, respectful ways. This prevalence for never-ending moronic abuse is an Aussie disease to go along with the traditional Aussie racism, homophobia and sexism. It is needs to be stamped out of the game with extreme prejudice. I'm talking immediate match forfeits and life bans.

Right. So the London riots in 2011 and blokes running around with meat cleavers in the middle of London last year never happened?

These players are paid professionals and earn big money to represent their country. Sledging has been a part of cricket for a very long time and the English have given as good as they have got. I can guarantee Matt Prior and the recent English wicketkeepers would have sledged their opposition.

Kram81 said:
Wonder what the new drop-in pitch will be like, hopefully wont be too lifeless.. Spinners seem to be taking most of the wickets in the Shield so far.

Given that it's the Adelaide Oval it'll more than likely be pretty flat. Whoever bats first will be very keen to bat for around 5 sessions and post a big total to put the other side under the pump.

Not the best forecast for tomorrow. Scattered showers during the morning with possible hail so we could be looking at a delayed start. Friday and Saturday are going to be partly cloudy with possible showers forecast for Sunday and also Monday. Saturday and Sunday are going to the warmest days with 28 and 30 expected at this stage.

We should get four pretty good days for cricket and I imagine we'll get at least half a day tomorrow if not more.

Right. So the London riots in 2011 and blokes running around with meat cleavers in the middle of London last year never happened?

These players are paid professionals and earn big money to represent their country. Sledging has been a part of cricket for a very long time and the English have given as good as they have got. I can guarantee Matt Prior and the recent English wicketkeepers would have sledged their opposition.

Its always been more stuff like "mind the windows, tino" and good natured or humorous remarks of that ilk. Its only Aussies that think threatening to break someone's arm can be described as "banter". What a ridiculous notion.

Fortunately, almost the entirety of the press, including the more intelligent Aussie commentators, have come out on the same side as me. Hopefully sledging will be a thing of the past, like other unpleasant habits such as casual racism and overruling the umpire.

Its always been more stuff like "mind the windows, tino" and good natured or humorous remarks of that ilk. Its only Aussies that think threatening to break someone's arm can be described as "banter". What a ridiculous notion.

Fortunately, almost the entirety of the press, including the more intelligent Aussie commentators, have come out on the same side as me. Hopefully sledging will be a thing of the past, like other unpleasant habits such as casual racism and overruling the umpire.
I agree with your sentiment regarding sledging but you are being quite naive if you believe that none of the current or previous English sides haven't engaged in the nasty stuff (or any of the other international sides for that matter).

There's been a lot of talk, but I have no idea what'll happen for the rest of this series, after the first test. England are scared, England are this and that. Australia/ns are the only ones doing all the talking, we have not heard a peep out of England. For the supposed intimidation England are supposed to be feeling, I don't know. This isn't the 90s, England are a much harder unit. Looking back, Australia had everything go their way in the first test, the GABBA, lower expectations, England were clearly unprepared, Johnson on his "good" day.

As of this point in time, all results for the series that are possible are plausible.

Always an advantage to bat first on the flattest wicket in Australia. Warner already racing away, it really is the tortoise and the hare with this opening pair.

edit - and he hits it straight to point..

Back