ICC Champions Trophy 2009

ICC Champions Trophy 2009 - Winner

• Total voters
Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2009

I am hoping the Kiwis get up and win- it would be good motivation for some of the weaker sides in future tournaments.

a for effort;367798 said:
And how bout those ashes ay? Australia ALWAYS win the ashes, it must be an elaborate conspiracy...
Well now Australia have lost the Ashes the same poster suddenly thinks ODI cricket is just as important, if not more :D

I think the ICC would love to see 2 lesser sides battle out the final, a rematch of the 1992 World Cup final would be great

eddiesmith;367796 said:
Why would they want Australia in the final? Every final they play in is a 1 sided thrashing

England will put a better fight than New Zealand or are you basically saying the ICC would only want a Pakistan v Australia final? Becuase there is no way the ICC would want to see a team who never wins anything actually do well, its definately a failure of a tournament if Australia dont win another trophy...

I presume they'd want an Australian - Pakistan final for a few reasons.

1) These 2 teams are very evenly matched, and they just played out one of the better ODI's I have seen for some time. Lets have a rematch?

2) England, being England, if they got to the final you can almost bet your money on the fact that they'd get hammered in some humilating way.

It's a final of a major comp, wouldn't you want to see the best players playing in it?

Players like Ponting, Lee, Younis Khan, Afridi, Yousuf, not to mention that gun spinner that the Pakistani's have.

To me its a no contest, Id rather see those players play then hacks like Bopara and Shah and Collingwood FFS.

eddiesmith;367890 said:
Well now Australia have lost the Ashes the same poster suddenly thinks ODI cricket is just as important, if not more :D

I think the ICC would love to see 2 lesser sides battle out the final, a rematch of the 1992 World Cup final would be great

When did I say ODI cricket is more important than the Ashes?

The Ashes are old news, we lost them more then a month ago? Time to move on don't you think?

England got to 257, a fairly impressive effort after being 6/101 at one stage. Tim Bresnan smacked 80 to drag his side out of the mire, Luke Wright scored 48 and Paul Collingwood 34.

Peter Siddle was the best of the Australian bowlers with 3/55 but was slightly expensive, as were most of the Australian bowlers. Only Shane Watson could keep the runs down and take wickets, snaring 2/35 from 8.4 overs.

In reply, Australia started horribly, losing Paine in the second over for 4 to Graham Onions. Since then Ponting and Watson have been good and Australia are 1/48 from 8 overs. Ponting is 21 not out with Watson on 18. Last two overs have cost 22 runs.

Going to be a cracking game you'd think.

I made the comment a few weeks back that when England come to Australia and play on decks where you have to have line and length bowling with discipline then the aussie batsmen after Ponting would be lucky to get some time in the middle.

Looks like I was pretty much spot on, the only people in danger were the people in the ground. One young fella went all out to latch onto a shell and nearly got his head taken off, would probably be best to go to the local hospital ER and get it checked out, because it was a fearful blow.

In the last 8 ODI's between these two teams England have won the toss 7 times, normally somewhat of an advantage in ODI's, yet they have lost 7 games and won 1.

England got belted to all parts, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

if there is one thing ponting is to be criticised on with his captaincy is the way he almost always looses the bloody toss. he has something like a 30% win rate :D

the thing i admired most was the fielding i think. only siddle and johnson (strangely) conceded runs for the team. siddle conceded 16 runs and johnson 8.

hussey saved 28 runs. ponting then with 26.

and yes i counted them, all of them.

so hussey scored 28* even though he didnt bat in my books. ponting 127*.

that also means siddle effectively had the figures of 3/71 off 10 overs. he did well with the ball but his fielding has to be improved.

i take fielding seriously. every run conceeded is one run more to chase. fortunately the fielding was very good and only those 24 runs were given up.

obviously if i fielder conceeds runs they go into the negatives, but they can make it back up.

and no im not that bored to do this.

Well.. that was embarrasing for England. Hopefully tonight's game will be a better contest, New Zealand have made the semis of big ODI comps a few times and will want to take the next step and Pakistan are loaded with talent. Should be a good game.

England were lucky to sneak through, as they played the chokers South Africa. They are an ordinary ODI side England and this showed it last night. A flat track, England should have made 320+. They were lucky to score 250. Australia did it easily against a poor attack. Australia vs. Pakistan what a game it could be.

sometimes i just wish that they would let a side bat on once it has chased down the total just for fun.

i would really like to see the aussies total if they played the 50.

going into the last ten overs with 9 wickets in hand and two guys on their century. thats a dream come true for big hitting and extreme run rates.

Dont know about QLD, but in Victoria Saturday afternoon is the day for local cricket

Didnt see much as I needed the sleep, but oh well, a great effort from a very undermanned England side to make the semis, it showed missing 4 of their best players last night looking at the scorecards, but now I guess the ICC get their dream 1 sided final, they will be delighted

Also it was very nice of the Aussie selectors to screw around the Vics preparations and fly Dussey all the way to South Africa for no apparent reason so now instead of spending a week in India, he gets to watch some cricket in South Africa and arrive in India the day before the Vics biggest match, thanks Aussie selectors!

What, Australia are expecting some mass injury crisis are they? They already have a spare batsman on tour, why call another up for just 1 match?

eddiesmith;368262 said:
Dont know about QLD, but in Victoria Saturday afternoon is the day for local cricket

Didnt see much as I needed the sleep, but oh well, a great effort from a very undermanned England side to make the semis, it showed missing 4 of their best players last night looking at the scorecards, but now I guess the ICC get their dream 1 sided final, they will be delighted

Also it was very nice of the Aussie selectors to screw around the Vics preparations and fly Dussey all the way to South Africa for no apparent reason so now instead of spending a week in India, he gets to watch some cricket in South Africa and arrive in India the day before the Vics biggest match, thanks Aussie selectors!

PURE COMEDY GOLD!!! :D:D:D

England missing 4 of their best players? Like who, Broad?, Bopara?

Flintoff won't play ODI cricket again, I'll grant you KP.

Look at who we were missing.

Clarke, Bracken, Haddin.

No mention of that.

A great win by the aussies and very satisfying.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;368270 said:
PURE COMEDY GOLD!!! :D:D:D

England missing 4 of their best players? Like who, Broad?, Bopara?

Flintoff won't play ODI cricket again, I'll grant you KP.

Look at who we were missing.

Clarke, Bracken, Haddin.

No mention of that.

A great win by the aussies and very satisfying.
Yeah they have really missed Clarke, even though his replacement at no4 is doing a hell of alot better job

As for the 4- Broad, Flintoff, KP and Prior. Prior would have been very handy last night and would have done a hell of alot better than Davies whilst Broad could have done well on a fast and bouncy pitch

Broad is a pie-thrower, lets be honest, he would have been belted out of the stands instand of just to them.

Prior is ordinary, has to have people in front of him do the work, having to do it himself causes him to break out in sweats.

Still no comment on sir collingwoods performance?

Back