Senior Seconds 09/10

Re: Senior Seconds 09/10

Great win for Spotty, fantastic to have that winning feeling again!
Needless to say the intent and heart that Rossy spoke about needs to continue on for the rest of the season.

Great to have an umpire last week, nothing against the other clubs but those knicks that were spoken about in my opinion would not have been given out by a club umpire for whatever reason and it can change the game.

Agree about the StB deck. Opened the batting in the 2020 we played there and got two half trackers that stayed so low they hit me just above the knee!

Big games again this week, great to see such a tight knit competition at this stage but hopefully it begins to open up soon with us sitting in the top 4 :)

A few interesting developments half way through a big round:

• StB putting on 120 for the last 2 wickets to stay in the game v Spotty. Must have been pretty frustrating for you Spotty guys. I also notice the average age of the Spotty side increasing of late.
  • YC and RPB playing out a thriller in a (very) low scoring affair. What surprises could be in store there next week? An outright would be a huge result at this stage of the year.
  • Keilor appear to have set McK a stiff challenge to stay in the hunt;
  • CY's had a good day, 2 guys tonning up and Mozza with an aggressive declaration to pick up a few late wickets and give us a crack next week; and
  • Altona and APW going on their merry way.
Once again the Snr 2nds have 3 games with 2 umpies and 3 with none. This is crazy and if anyone from the VTCA is reading this (and I'm pretty sure they do), please take some action to spread them one to each game.

jacko66;385711 said:

• StB putting on 120 for the last 2 wickets to stay in the game v Spotty. Must have been pretty frustrating for you Spotty guys. I also notice the average age of the Spotty side increasing of late.
  • YC and RPB playing out a thriller in a (very) low scoring affair. What surprises could be in store there next week? An outright would be a huge result at this stage of the year.
  • CY's had a good day, 2 guys tonning up and Mozza with an aggressive declaration to pick up a few late wickets and give us a crack next week; and
Once again the Snr 2nds have 3 games with 2 umpies and 3 with none. This is crazy and if anyone from the VTCA is reading this (and I'm pretty sure they do), please take some action to spread them one to each game.

A pretty good overview of the way things are placed at halfway Jacko. Fantastic to see the Senior Seconds panning out as it has rather than having the separate sections with some very good teams and some very bad teams we now have a competition where nearly every team is still in with a chance of playing finals cricket!

Certainly was frustrating but we can do nothing about that, all we can do is make the 250 and win the game. In regards to the side I think you will find the team has fluctuated all year with injuries and unavailabilities which is why the change.

Good decision by CY's to declare, obviously hoping for a chance at an outright after some of Fooey's comments before Xmas?

RPB and YC scores are interesting, hole in the covers over there?

Are Airport West not the worst blokes going around? I have never seen a side carry on when they take a wicket! Who does the Brett Lee "lawnmower" when they get a wicket!?

Absolute flogs!

Sparrow;385819 said:
A pretty good overview of the way things are placed at halfway Jacko. Fantastic to see the Senior Seconds panning out as it has rather than having the separate sections with some very good teams and some very bad teams we now have a competition where nearly every team is still in with a chance of playing finals cricket!

Certainly was frustrating but we can do nothing about that, all we can do is make the 250 and win the game. In regards to the side I think you will find the team has fluctuated all year with injuries and unavailabilities which is why the change.

Good decision by CY's to declare, obviously hoping for a chance at an outright after some of Fooey's comments before Xmas?

I suppose that we figured that if they can get 340, we won't deserve a win. Plus, being out of the 4, with rounds running out, we may as well have a go at rolling them twice, even if it is a long shot.

I wondered if there might have been a few grubbers at RPB, with 9 bowled or LBW when RPB batted 2nd. Anyone reading this know the story?

Sparrow;385819 said:

We played next door to that game on sat and there were a few showers that hit and the covers were not down ,they were laying next to the pitch and nobody could be arsed to put them back on so no surprises about the outcome of the days play .

Max;385839 said:
We played next door to that game on sat and there were a few showers that hit and the covers were not down ,they were laying next to the pitch and nobody could be arsed to put them back on so no surprises about the outcome of the days play .

Perhaps it is the fact APW are well on top of the ladder and are thinking it is all to easy?

Yeah well put Jacko, although we have seen it is certainly a gettable score at the Fearon!! :( I think Youlden have a bit more heart than what they seem to have shown on here and can save the outright.

RPB and YC however seem like they will have an outright result and due to laziness Max pointed out could cost the loser a place in the finals!

jacko66;385711 said:

3 drop catches when we had them 8/140 odd proved costly. But, 250 on our track and outfield is a "par" score. We will have to bat well and if we want to consider being up for possible finals, well this is the type of game/chase we must win.

I dont like to be bashing the umpires point you made Jacko, but I did notice that nearly all NthA2 and NTHB2 games had umpires!!!!!! What is going on? Until someone from the VTCA can explain this, I will say that it is b_llsh_t. Dont get me wrong, nothing against anything that happened in our game on Sat. But what if something did happen???

jacko66;385838 said:
I suppose that we figured that if they can get 340, we won't deserve a win. Plus, being out of the 4, with rounds running out, we may as well have a go at rolling them twice, even if it is a long shot.

I wondered if there might have been a few grubbers at RPB, with 9 bowled or LBW when RPB batted 2nd. Anyone reading this know the story?

G day boys, long time. I was battling away down at the ones on the weekend, but from all reports from the twos it was a pretty standard royal park deck. Those of you who have played on ryder will know that the odd ball will keep low, but nothing drastic. According to the boys, the low scores from both teams could be attributed to a combination of good bowling/poor batting/poor running between the wickets/only having 10 batsmen.

Too Old Body Broke;385909 said:
3 drop catches when we had them 8/140 odd proved costly. But, 250 on our track and outfield is a "par" score. We will have to bat well and if we want to consider being up for possible finals, well this is the type of game/chase we must win.

I dont like to be bashing the umpires point you made Jacko, but I did notice that nearly all NthA2 and NTHB2 games had umpires!!!!!! What is going on? Until someone from the VTCA can explain this, I will say that it is b_llsh_t. Dont get me wrong, nothing against anything that happened in our game on Sat. But what if something did happen???

I know a neutral umpire makes life seem easier but I promise you that you dont the ones going around North A2. Having now played 3 games in A2 since my return from injury the only well umpired game was the one without an umpire, both teams were honest, gave the decisions that needed to be given, etc.... As a contrast on Saturday 7 of my teams first 8 wickets were LBW (later downgraded to 6 when the umpire said one of them was caught behind... ball was nowhere near bat mind you).. At least 5 of the 7 had solid reasons why they werent out... 3 of them were appalling ! Fielding captain apoligised after play....

Didnt mean to turn into a rant, but point is with 2 honest teams no umpire is much better than an imcompetent one, even if it makes for a less relaxing day when you have 2 players umpriing and 2 scoring all day...

Not Out;385836 said:
Are Airport West not the worst blokes going around? I have never seen a side carry on when they take a wicket! Who does the Brett Lee "lawnmower" when they get a wicket!?

Absolute flogs!

Brett Lee does the Brett Lee 'lawnmower' thats who....answered your own question. Must have some riveting conversations with yaself

It's gone a bit quiet on here recently. The higher placed teams all seem to be well placed half way through this important round (RPB v SC don't have scores up yet, but their both out of contention you'd have to think.)

By the end of this round we may see CY's and StB swap places 3&4 and Spotty move into 5th ahead of YC. If so, 3rd through to 6th will still be open going into the last round, a fitting conclusion to a good season. At CY's we'll have destiny in our hands playing SC. Alot comes down to tough games for StB and Spotty against the top 2 teams, leaving YC a rough chance to squeeze through. Thoughts?

Back to this round, CY's (without me) did a great job against Keilor last Saturday. Our young offie, Doddie, is on fire getting 6for and 5for last 2 innings and our new recruit, Slug, finally getting a game in the 2's and finding form.

jacko66;387628 said:
It's gone a bit quiet on here recently. The higher placed teams all seem to be well placed half way through this important round (RPB v SC don't have scores up yet, but their both out of contention you'd have to think.)

By the end of this round we may see CY's and StB swap places 3&4 and Spotty move into 5th ahead of YC. If so, 3rd through to 6th will still be open going into the last round, a fitting conclusion to a good season. At CY's we'll have destiny in our hands playing SC. Alot comes down to tough games for StB and Spotty against the top 2 teams, leaving YC a rough chance to squeeze through. Thoughts?

Back to this round, CY's (without me) did a great job against Keilor last Saturday. Our young offie, Doddie, is on fire getting 6for and 5for last 2 innings and our new recruit, Slug, finally getting a game in the 2's and finding form.

Gday Jacko,

Fair summary. However, I think weather could very well have a bit to say this week:mad: I hope not. Cy's are going along very nicely atm. All we can do is win and hope that a few other games go our way. Not ideal, but at least we are still in with a chance. Interesting to still see Bouch in AN 2's this week. With their 1's staring down relegation, I would have thought he may go in and help the 1's? And Mario still continues to get poles. And Slugga in your 2's...some would say about time:D Too good a bat to be playing 2's yet.

RPB 4/34 chasing SCCC's 168. So we might get a win to finish off the season.

Umpiring was a disgrace, 6 triggered LBW, at least 2 were hit before they hit the pads.

Too Old Body Broke;387645 said:
Interesting to still see Bouch in AN 2's this week. With their 1's staring down relegation, I would have thought he may go in and help the 1's? And Mario still continues to get poles.
I think he's happy enough just playing in the 2's from now on, regardless of form. Muz is probably in the same boat aswell.

Cricket Addict;387662 said:
I think he's happy enough just playing in the 2's from now on, regardless of form. Muz is probably in the same boat aswell.

Mmm, I would have thought that putting the club's interests first i.e. saving from relegation, would be first and foremost? Don't get me wrong, I obviously have no idea about what the AN selection critea/panel do when making their decisions. Just my thoughts only. Both players mentioned are definately handy 2's players as per their stats this year. I just wonder if they were 2 younger guys making runs/taking wickets in the 2's would they be elevated, considering where the 1's are on the ladder? And don't get me wrong, we have alot of work to do at Spotty as well so don't think "glass houses".

Not Out;387648 said:
RPB 4/34 chasing SCCC's 168. So we might get a win to finish off the season.

Umpiring was a disgrace, 6 triggered LBW, at least 2 were hit before they hit the pads.

Yes it should be a tight finish. I see you have 2 umpires at your game, yet every other 2nds game had none? And it sounds like you would have been better off without any umpires at all, or was 1 worse than the other? I don't want this to turn into umpire bashing because it can be tough to do. And from what i hear, the VTCA are struggling for quality and numbers as it is. And I guess this why when you do get umpires (which has been about 2-3 games for us this year) it is important to honestly grade them.

Too Old Body Broke;387727 said:
Mmm, I would have thought that putting the club's interests first i.e. saving from relegation, would be first and foremost? Don't get me wrong, I obviously have no idea about what the AN selection critea/panel do when making their decisions. Just my thoughts only. Both players mentioned are definately handy 2's players as per their stats this year. I just wonder if they were 2 younger guys making runs/taking wickets in the 2's would they be elevated, considering where the 1's are on the ladder? And don't get me wrong, we have alot of work to do at Spotty as well so don't think "glass houses".
Our priority should be to avoid relegation no doubt about that. The two players have reasons why they can't play in the 1's. Muz is more work related and Bouch probably physically.

Cricket Addict;387748 said:
Our priority should be to avoid relegation no doubt about that. The two players have reasons why they can't play in the 1's. Muz is more work related and Bouch probably physically.

Muz is probably busy getting my golf ball out of his ceiling!!!! Fair spot where his house is. And Bouch has finally joined the old timers huh?? I look forward to locking horns with him next game. Just like old times.

Back