Sheffield Shield Thread 2009/2010

Re: Sheffield Shield Thread 2009/2010

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;378782 said:
Look Hussey is always in the frame at ODI level, as are a number of players, Hussey hasn't probably taken his chances as much as he would have liked, im sure he'd be the first to admit that.

Yep, earlier this year he made several appearances and from memory only hit his strides in one of them. Can't really argue if you're given the opportunities and you don't grab them with both hands.

An inopportune time for him to lose form. Considering his brother's similar bad trot, he could have really piled the pressure on and competed for their parents' love as never before!

Ljp86;375557 said:
A lot of it comes down to the administration and coaching level. South Australia have been struggling for a long time in this area, hampered by poor coaching and a range of problems within the SACA. This is hardly an environment for a team to perform well.

Moody hasn't done a lot for the Warriors to this point, he has struggled to have an impact on the side and nothing seems to be really working.

I would have thought with names like G.Chappell, Nielson & Siddons spending so much time in Adelaide, the Redbacks shouldn't have such problems.

Similarly, sandgropers Marsh & Moody are as highly rated as they come on an international scale.

Other states have had lesser-known tutors at their disposal.

The SA's also play a lot at the Adelaide Oval, I wouldn't think that surface would be especially conducive to developing players who could perform at a high standard around the country in various conditions.

The players won't typically play that often on Adelaide oval until they start making the state side. The ability to play on a range of different pitches (often less batting-friendly ones) would have been developed at club level, rather than learnt on-the-fly while playing for the Redbacks. I still suggest that poor coaching and a lack of quality cricketers is the principal reason for the Redbacks' poor performances over the last 2 decades.

Sober Symonds;378847 said:
I would have thought with names like G.Chappell, Nielson & Siddons spending so much time in Adelaide, the Redbacks shouldn't have such problems.

Similarly, sandgropers Marsh & Moody are as highly rated as they come on an international scale.

Other states have had lesser-known tutors at their disposal.

Chappell did very little for SA cricket whilst he was in charge, that's been well documented. Siddons is now coaching Bangladesh and Nielsen is coaching the Australian side so three of their best prodcuts are either coaching elsewhere or have already tried the gig and failed.

Moody hasn't done a lot for WA cricket in my opinion. The last few seasons have seen WA show little or no improvement and the Warriors seem to be in the same position as they were a few years ago, got lots of talent but not converting them to onfield performances and ultimately wins. If WA don't begin improving then he probably won't have much time left in the job.

Absolutely, maybe not the technique as such but other factors without doubt would influence

Take Moody for example, he lost their no1 opening batsman because he didnt think he could play one day cricket, next year he is the no1 domestic one day player in the country

Mark Cosgrove has seriously suffered from a lack of leadership and discipline from the SACAs

When there is repeated evidence of players who are expected to succeed and they dont or take an extremely long time to produce anything decent then of course there has to be a problem with the Coaching setup in that state when other states dont have the same problems

You honestly expect me to belief that Cosgrove's regression is due to Moody or a lack of leadership? At the end of the day discipline with regards to training, fitness and diet comes down to Cosgrove himself.

You know, I used to have a mate who used to go on a 5 km run and then on the way home in the car he couldn't himself, he'd pull into the drive through and order a large big mac meal?

Cosgrove appears to suffer from a lack of discipline - he is now old enough to realise that he is the main person who is control of that.

I'm never a big believer that changing coachs/captains/selectors will have a big influence on a teams performance - with the likes of Cosgrove I also lean towards the individuals attitude rather then a coach's performance.

Another century from Ronchi, he's hitting his straps at the right time. Very good to see and it's good to see he is showing everyone what WA already knows.

WA finally seem to be showing some encouraging signs, the batting has been good in the game against Tasmania. Luke Towers scored a fine hundred after a string of low scores which almost saw him dropped and then there was Ronchi's whirlwind innings.

Hopefully the selectors are sitting up and taking notice. With Paine injured and Manou not doing a lot for South Australia, Ronchi may find himself moving up the order again if he can keep making runs.

Just as we've been down on WA & SA, they've lifted their games considerably in the past week or two.

As opposed to the Vic's who seem to be doing it tough to get the next wave of fast bowlers to have a significant impact. As a result it's difficult to sing the praises of too many of the players. HOWEVER, Matthew Wade has been prominent with some fantastic form against the trend. Sounds like he too might have something special to offer with the bat at least.

Re: Ford Ranger Cup Thread 2009/2010

Tasmania should be able to equal Victoria's first innings score of 297, with them being 249/7 with Geeves and Krezja not being too bad with the bat. Stumps day 2.

Queensland way ahead of NSW with half an hour or so left before stumps day 2.

Queensland's first innings was a group of good scores with Carseldine standing out with his century. Swann had an unbeaten 55. They made 335 before being bowled out, with Copeland getting a memorable 8 wicket haul, Lambert being the only other to get wickets.

Hughes is not having the best of form, and neither is Jaques. Katich got out to an unfortunate first ball. Steve Smith got a fast 49 before Cutting claimed him as part of his five wicket haul for the innings. Forest top scored for that innings with 69. NSW all out for 244.

Queensland back into bat and are 30/2, with Kruger and Townsend falling both to Copeland for a ten wicket match haul. Very good bowling from him this match. Broad is not out for 19.

Looks like a couple of good finishes tomorrow

Simon Katich stands between QLD and the rest of the field, a NSW win and it will get tight in the middle

Victoria have a tough decision over declaring, less for them to play for being well in front, but a win for them and NSW and they have a home final locked in

I reckon a draw at Bellerive with NSW choking, cant see anyone sticking around long enough for Katich to win it, they have a very long and weak tail

Good game. Always will be if Queensland win, can never just thrash someone, always gotta have a periodic collapse somewhere and come close to losing before rebuilding to win.

eddiesmith;386786 said:
Looks like a couple of good finishes tomorrow

I reckon a draw at Bellerive with NSW choking, cant see anyone sticking around long enough for Katich to win it, they have a very long and weak tail

A couple of good calls, Ed. The results didn't go the way you & I would have liked, but it keeps the race interesting.

Sober Symonds;387124 said:
A couple of good calls, Ed. The results didn't go the way you & I would have liked, but it keeps the race interesting.
Yeah I expected the worst case scenario and they both happened :(

Victorias total domination of QLD in all forms especially at the GABBA continues this week with QLD 9/161 in pursuit of Victorias first innings total of 316

It seems ever since Cameron White smashed that century to lead Victoria to their first win at the GABBA a few years back we totally dominate every time we go up there now

As long as Victoria doesnt throw this away, they will go a minimum of 10 points clear at the top of the Shield table and just 2 games remain, get the outright and the home final is officially locked in

Dominate is a bit strong eddie, Victoria have already lost Rogers in reply and are only leading by 150, anything under 300 is gettable so this game is not over yet.

So the pitch is going to turn into a minefield to allow QLD to bowl out Victoria for only 150 and then flatten out so QLD can double their first innings score to win?

Nice bit of optimism there :)

Interesting to see the pitch is apparently slow and crap, the sort of pitch that is often criticised elsewhere, the curators must of got scared off his usual pitch when he saw the way the Victorian batsmen dominated the Ford Ranger Cup clash

Back