The BaggyGreens Thread

Yes Tim appears to be catching Kane Williamson's disease of not being proactive when you have a side at your mercy. His defensive outer field against a pair of rookies with moderate FC records was not good captaincy. It meant our quicks were left with no alternative but to keep it short and hope a mistake was made.. instead of shortening their lengths to induce a drive. I have to say it is no easy task to captain a cricket side and keep at the same time. Few have ever done it as successfully as has Tim Paine.
Agree Craig, when keeping you have to be completely focused on every ball behind the sticks - much better to have a captain that is able to move around in different positions, which allows him to scan around the field more often & read situations far better.

Yes Tim appears to be catching Kane Williamson's disease of not being proactive when you have a side at your mercy. His defensive outer field against a pair of rookies with moderate FC records was not good captaincy. It meant our quicks were left with no alternative but to keep it short and hope a mistake was made.. instead of shortening their lengths to induce a drive. I have to say it is no easy task to captain a cricket side and keep at the same time. Few have ever done it as successfully as has Tim Paine.
Evidently my analysis of this was wrong Pete. Sorry Tim Paine. According to Josh Hazlewood the plan was to keep it short as the fuller ball was having little affect as no swing or sideways movement. I guess to pick up a fivefor in those conditions was quite an effort. Just took a squizz at Josh's series figures. Mate he is averaging less than @16 and striking every 40 balls. Cummins trails him @21/48.. Starc.. no surprise @33/66
Green may be yet to snare his first Test wicket but the man mountain has sure snaffled some terrific catches. Just call him Albatross for his wide wingspan. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, Starc use to be lethal at getting late swing, especially in white ball cricket - reckon our NZ pace bowlers would probably have the best swing attack in world cricket at the moment.
Richardson sounds very promising, will keep an eye on him in the smash/bash 20/20 series... sounds a real risk if your blokes go on the S.A. tour Craig, they reckon that's where that new deadly virus started.
I read the same thing. Broke out in the poorer Black suburbs and some how found its way to England where it has taken off like a wildfire. Agree all your pacemen can swing the ball so yes currently the best swing attack in world cricket. They will be potent in swing friendly Pommieland during the WTC finals.

Last edited:
Robert Craddock.. in case you dont know him Pete.. is a respected print cricket journo our side of the ditch. He asks why is Nathan Lyon having such a poor series. Why only a piddling 7 poles @58 . Some 20 points above his career average. While reaching the milestone of 100 tests is outstanding.. Lyon is yet to reach 400 wickets. Equates to 4 wickets per Test match. Not earth shattering by any stretch of the imagination for a bowler of his reputation. He needs a big second innings to win us this match and get to that 400 pole milestone.

Last edited:
Marcus Harris and probably Matthew Wade are playing for their careers today.

Pete Australia needs to win this.. India a draw to walk away with the B/G trophy. As I see the scenario we have to go full speed today and build a lead that will entice India to chase on the final day but not one that will take the win out of reach of India. There is some chance of handing the trophy to India by doing the latter tho. These cracks that have hovered first three days have to start opening soon. Some smart thinking is needed by the Aussie strategists.

Aussies will be eyeing off setting them between 330/350 I suspect Pete. There is some rain predicted last day tho. Have to factor that in too.

Last edited:
Break in play.. break in concentration with both openers back in the sheds. Sayonara Harris. Not Test standard.

Labs gone now! He was motoring at a run a ball. But like in the entire series India finds something to halt our momentum.

Now Wade has tickled one down the on side. This aint looking good with the lead a piddling 160. Need a solid partnership from Smithy and Cam Green now to get us back on track.

This is nerve wracking now. I reckon that embarrassing 36 at Adelaide has galvanised the Indians. Shows their incredible character. Respected Indian commentator Harshe Bogle made a good point about what may lie behind this Indian character, resilience and never say die attitude being shown in this series and last in 2018 for that matter. Many of the good young cricketers coming thru the Indian system have not been given an easy ride into first class cricket due to them being from poorer rural areas with far less amenities than the cities. This means far fewer opportunities to show their talent.

This race will never again be termed easybeats when playing abroad if they can pull off a win in this last game and retain the B/G trophy..

Last edited:
The Harris wicket was very soft Craig, he only had to drop the hands to keep the gloves & bat well out the way... also instead of a batsman ducking I prefer the method of swaying out the way in a standing position.

Pretty even at the moment... yeah, didn't expect India to show as much fight & guts as they have.

Evidently my analysis of this was wrong Pete. Sorry Tim Paine. According to Josh Hazlewood the plan was to keep it short as the fuller ball was having little affect as no swing or sideways movement. I guess to pick up a fivefor in those conditions was quite an effort. Just took a squizz at Josh's series figures. Mate he is averaging less than @16 and striking every 40 balls. Cummins trails him @21/48.. Starc.. no surprise @33/66
Green may be yet to snare his first Test wicket but the man mountain has sure snaffled some terrific catches. Just call him Albatross for his wide wingspan. ;)
Yeah, with no swing & not much movement off the pitch I suppose you needed to bowl shorter stuff, but reckon they bowled too many bouncers & not enough of back of a length bowling.
That's outstanding figures by Josh, just shows the red hot form he is in... Green is bowling well without much luck, but he's looking very good with the bat.

Yeah, with no swing & not much movement off the pitch I suppose you needed to bowl shorter stuff, but reckon they bowled too many bouncers & not enough of back of a length bowling.
That's outstanding figures by Josh, just shows the red hot form he is in... Green is bowling well without much luck, but he's looking very good with the bat.
Josh added that while the stock ball was the shortie they had to use the fuller pitched one occasionally as these two were not top 6 batsmen. I agree with you mate they overdid the short stuff.. specially Starc who was getting smacked all round the ground.

Green will get his first wicket and then a rush of em after that. Only a matter of time. The last three decks have not been exactly condusive to his ability to extract tricky bounce from a good length. I saw him do that on his debut at the WACA four years ago. He was allbut unplayable.

Last edited:
Marcus Harris and probably Matthew Wade are playing for their careers today.

Pete Australia needs to win this.. India a draw to walk away with the B/G trophy. As I see the scenario we have to go full speed today and build a lead that will entice India to chase on the final day but not one that will take the win out of reach of India. There is some chance of handing the trophy to India by doing the latter tho. These cracks that have hovered first three days have to start opening soon. Some smart thinking is needed by the Aussie strategists.

Aussies will be eyeing off setting them between 330/350 I suspect Pete. There is some rain predicted last day tho. Have to factor that in too.
Yeah, there must be big pressure on Harris & Wade.
Mate, that would be pretty annoying if they win the B/G Trophy through getting a draw in the last test - to try and get the win it's going to depend on how quickly you can get to a total where they can't win... when they bat your blokes are going to need to be very proactive in the field, only has to be in short bursts, or you might be able to leave those attacking fields in place a bit longer depending on situations.

Yeah, there must be big pressure on Harris & Wade.
Mate, that would be pretty annoying if they win the B/G Trophy through getting a draw in the last test - to try and get the win it's going to depend on how quickly you can get to a total where they can't win... when they bat your blokes are going to need to be very proactive in the field, only has to be in short bursts, or you might be able to leave those attacking fields in place a bit longer depending on situations.
Mate i t promises to be an enthralling last day and a half whatever strategy is used. One thing is certain this Indian outfit will never again be called easybeats when playing abroad. If they win it their cricket mad people will worship them as gods..

Josh added that while the stock ball was the shortie they had to use the fuller pitched one occasionally as these two were not top 6 batsmen. I agree with you mate they overdid the short stuff.. specially Starc who was getting smacked all round the ground.

Green will get his first wicket and then a rush of em after that. just a matter of time. The last three decks have not been exactly condusive to his ability to extract tricky bounce from a good length. I saw him do that on his debut at the WACA four years ago. He was allbut unplayable.
Agree, Josh did bowl very good back of a length stuff, he's bowled superbly overall.

Yeah, sport is a confidence thing, when Green gets his first wicket he'll certainly get many more after that, Those 6'8'' accurate bowlers with good pace are a great asset for any team.

Mate i t promises to be an enthralling last day and a half whatever strategy is used. One thing is certain this Indian outfit will never again be called easybeats when playing abroad. If they win it their cricket mad people will worship them as gods..
Absolutely mate, going to be a ripper - yeah, with the fight they've shown they won't be easy to beat away anymore... if your blokes get a 300 plus lead India is going to find it very difficult batting last, reckon Aussie will do enough to win this one Craig :thumbsu:

This is nerve wracking now. I reckon that embarrassing 36 at Adelaide has galvanised the Indians. Shows their incredible character. Respected Indian commentator Harshe Bogle made a good point about what may lie behind this Indian character, resilience and never say die attitude being shown in this series and last in 2018 for that matter. Many of the good young cricketers coming thru the Indian system have not been given an easy ride into first class cricket due to them being from poorer rural areas with far less amenities than the cities. This means far fewer opportunities to show their talent.
True Mate, that shocking 36 was definitely what motivated them to playing with a lot more pride & steel.

Harshe Bogle makes a very good point... the ones that come from the slum areas are going to have a ton of determination to do well & try & make their way into the Indian team for themselves & their families to try & away from the dreadful poverty they have there, makes you wonder how many die in those slum areas yearly ?

True Mate, that shocking 36 was definitely what motivated them to playing with a lot more pride & steel.

Harshe Bogle makes a very good point... the ones that come from the slum areas are going to have a ton of determination to do well & try & make their way into the Indian team for themselves & their families to try & away from the dreadful poverty they have there, makes you wonder how many die in those slum areas yearly ?
Pete not so much the slums .. they are usually in the cities. I'm sure Harshe's point is those boys from poor rural peasant families.

Plenty have died in the city slums from the Covid virus mate. I doubt if there is ample free area in these slums to even play a decent game of cricket. If I have facts correct there are something like 1 million people crammed into a four square mile slum in Mumbai. Just living hand to mouth day to day is most on their minds. Cricket is no more than a dream.

Back