Quiney
Rd 7

Bentleigh Uniting 3 v Cheltenham Park 1
Le Page Park 2 v Elwood 2
Kingston Heath 2 v Washington Park 2
West Bentleigh 2 v Melbourne Wanderers 1
Carnegie South 2 v Hampton Central 2
Southside East Caulfield 1 v Mackie 2

Happy Christmas to all my fans and even those who can't stand me and I hope Santa brings you a pair of skates to catch the runaway leader next year

Merl over and out

Merlot is like an elderly relative who at the family get together sits there and just rambles on oblivious to all around him. The only thing you can do is politely smile,nod and wait for a chance to get the hell out.

Xmas could not have quick enough for the Mackie lads. A regulation chase of 147 was not as easy as it looked. They were one batsman down, and despite Buddhas heroics to be the last man out, they fell well short and are now in the thick of the relegation battle. A one day encounter with the rampaging Hoops in the New Year now looms.The backbone of the grand final team is struggling to make runs: D Park(9.0) C Park(14.8) B Clark(14.2) D Bott (24.8) Buddha(28.0). To add to their woes the Ommies play Kingston Heath in the rescheduled one dayer. The Ommies are winless and were easily beaten by the Hoops who now seem to be a legitimate flag contender.The Ommies need a win and if they can field a team that demonstrates the Omega discipline then they may be able to overcome the golfers. They will then have an interesting battle with the Mackie boys having to fight and scrap to try and keep their Longmuir status. Interestingly Mackie have never finished last since the inception of the Longmuir Shield so there will be added pressure on the group which looks tired and disinterested. They meet the Juggernaut in the final home and away game. The Juggernaut put the sword to the hapless Washups last season and we could see a repeat this season. Who knows we may have to rename them the executioners? The wheels well and truly fell off the Panthers cart, losing 14 wickets. They have a horror three rounds after the break which could realistically end their finals run. Uniting overcame a plucky Elwood in their encounter and ensured that they will approach the T-20 final on Wednesday night with some confidence. Hopefully all CMCA supporters will turn out to watch what is sure to be a great game.(If you bump into Merlot just smile and nod as he prattles on about India and the Raj)

The Royals fell short against the Sky Blues and they will be ruing the lost opportunity to lift themselves out of the relegation threat. Finals are all but over for the Royals and there will have to be some soul searching done over the break. Their Woolnough team barely put up a yelp and ensured that the Washups got back to their rooms early where they could warm up the vocal chords before their XMAS party.It was interesting to note that there were 8 LBW’s given in this match. No problem if they are there, however the Washup’s could not help making mention of it during their President’s summation. Better served if these matters are dealt with by the appropriate channels.It is hard enough to recruit umpires as it is.

The Spiders were struggling at 4/30 against the Cowboys and it seemed that the dreaded two day yips would strike them down again. They managed to pick themselves up and post a respectable 9/213. They then systematically cut through the Cowboys batting line up to dismiss them for a paltry 86, with Casey making 40 of the runs. When extras are third top score then you know you have some serious issues and the Cowboys are all over the shop at the moment. One thing is for sure there will be no miraculous comeback this season, and they like Mackie and Omega are staring at playing in Woolnough next season after being Grand finalists two seasons ago. The Spiders on the other hand are full of confidence and will be looking forward to playing the Centrals in their one day encounter. Whilst they do have to meet the Hoops/Elwood and the Juggernaut, it is not beyond the bounds that they could end up making the finals which would be a great achievement for them. I can’t help feeling though that loss against the Golfers will come back and haunt them later in the season.

The Juggernaut after a slow start have gradually found their form and their encounter against the undefeated Uniting will be a fascinating encounter.Uniting have a deep pool of players from which to choose from and the competition for spots in the finals is on in earnest. Lalor (71.0) Backman(40.0 & 97.00 in Woolnough) Russell (42.0)
They have had the odd moment when the Spiders and the Golfers challenged them early in the season, however right now they are travelling well and full of confidence and even disposed of the much fancied McKinnon in the 20/20 semi final. (excuses notwithstanding)

In Woolnough the new boys on the block Chelsea Heights overcame the Westars in what has to be a shock of sorts. That is the second big scalp(Bentleigh Uniting) that the Heighters have to their collection. Alas they do no meet the Soprano’s in Washington Park until Round 11 but that could be a preview of the grand Final. The final four seems to be set with Heights,Wash Ups,West Stars and Uniting making up the 4. Uniting will not want to drop any games but they have a couple of tricky games that they will have to navigate around, but with their depth I could not see them dropping out. Omega, the Juggernaut and Cluden will be battling hard to try and grab that fourth spot, but can’t help but feeling that they do not have the depth to match it with Uniting.

The Round 8 clash between Highett West and Bentleigh ANA could end up deciding which team is awarded the dreaded wooden spoon for the season.Both teams have performed poorly with probably valid excuses on both fronts.Hampton United are also lingering just above them, but they do have that important win up their sleeve.

Army’s Wanderers got out of jail but hold on to second spot in Quiney after defending a moderate score of 108.Great effort to dismiss the Sky Blues for 97 but must be worrying that they could not post a higher score.They meet West Bentleigh and the Wash Up’s in the space of three Rounds so it will answer a few questions as to where they really stand.

To all have a safe XMAS period and look forward to seeing many of you round the grounds in the New Year.

As always a very thorough report, Clock. I think you're being a tad harsh on the old chap. Merl, you'll always have an ally in the diplomatic Uncle Mick. Fact is though, you were starting to become tedious and monotonous with your assessments of Congress and even drew the crowd favourite out of hibernation for his sole post of the season (which is a credit to yourself). However, with the amount of time you seem to have I would've thought you'd be better served to get proactive about the Association you hold so dear to your heart and put up your hand to assist in making sure Congress are getting it right. It's easy to keep potting everyone on the forum without offering some assistance. Alas, they've conceded that your point was valid and have subsequently delivered an early Xmas present via the Sunday Herald Sun.
Keeping in touch with giving sound advice on the forum, it would be remiss of me not to advise you that you've bumped everyone up one place from Bottsy down in the MHTC. There are still 12 participants in the comp, not 11 as is suggested by the current ladder.
As far as my lack of input on the forum goes, it's been a busy time of year and it's also time we shut up until we put up down at HW. It's been a disastrous start to season 2010/11. Time to put the head down and get busy turning it around.

Good luck to both sides on Wednesday night and Season's Greetings to all the forumites. Very much looking forward to a New Year.

Bobby Dazzler PM

After managing only 108 on a VERY lush Simpson Reserve on day 1 there were minimal highlights for my boys, however having them 2/19 overnight we gave ourselves a chance. On day 2 we were right back in it having HC 5/23 at one stage, however a few small partnerships got them back in it and they looked the goods at 8/97. When I came on in my 150th and snared the last 2 wickets in an over (more luck than good management I would say). Alas without question the highlight of the day was Leigh ‘Ferret’ Rigby who sporting one of the all time great Xmas party hangovers bowled a marathon 21 over’s straight to finish with figures 27 over’s (6 last week) 14 maidens, 4/36. Firmly putting his hand up as one of the premier quicks in Quiney.

Most other result probably went as expected with Uniting showing just how much depth they have with their 3rd XI 5-1 in BD and the one they lost was to us by 1 or 2 runs! The real deal no question about it! That’s now back to back losses for the panthers who started on fire, I hope they can stop the rot after the Xmas break.

Elwood made light work of Chelt Park who seem a bit up and down, the beach boys are a young team and will only improve.

The golfers got up over the machine in what looks a pretty comfortable manner with 4 wickets and 20 overs in the bank. Mackie now staring down the barrel at D grade as the only team without registering a point so far!

The spiders never looked like getting near the Cowboys rather impressive 8/240. The cowboys are coming on strong after collected 3 straight wins, hopefully the wanderers can put and end to that little streak after the break.

After the wash ups made a competitive 8/190 it looks like Southside would have given themselves a chance at 0/73 but it looks as if they just couldn’t get another partnership together and lost steady wickets all the way through to finish 50 runs short. This is a worry for Southside now just 1 game away for last and relegation, which I find strange because in the last few years they have always seemed competitive and there abouts I would back them to win a couple after Xmas and fight of any suggestion of D grade, the Wash ups however continue to march on after a minor hiccup in Rd 6.

Seasons greeting to all and I hope you have a happy and safe break. See you in 2011

As I'm heading away for the festive season and won't be back until after the next round, then I'm going to put in my Round 7 tips early. So here they are-

Longmuir:
Kingston Heath
Bentleigh ANA
Carnegie South
Bentleigh Uniting (strange tipping against East Sandy in Longy- don't think I've ever done so!)
Elwood
Brighton Union

Woolnough:
Bentleigh Uniting
Moorabbin West
Washington Park
Asp / Edi RSL
Cluden
Chelsea Hts

See you back in the New Year......fun times ahead!

Happy Christmas to all my fans and even those who can't stand me and I hope Santa brings you a pair of skates to catch the runaway leader next year

Merl over and out[/quote]

Merry christmas Merl. I look forward to you continuing to be the completely useless old gutter guzzling fart that you have become renowned for.

I believe tonights T20 final has been moved to Bailey reserve, can anyone confirm this and why??

Because the Glen Eira Clowncil top-dressed the ground today despite knowing there was a game of cricket to be played tonight. They claimed it was the only opportunity they had as all Parks & Gardens staff have a Xmas party on Thursday!! This would not surprise anyone involved in Sporting clubs in the City of Glen Eira. No doubt Centenary would have been a better venue but a cracking game anyway. The BUCC got up by 1 run with a wicket on the last ball. Only made 109 with Pup the only one getting runs with a nice 50 odd. Elwood started well and looked good things but wickets then fell regularly. About 3 times they looked gone but fought it right out. Probably stiff not to get the win in the end. Good crowd and fantastic atmosphere. Seemed to be played in pretty good spirits. Well done to all involved

Dear All,

As Chooka mentioned, the last minute switch of grounds was due to the Council's effort.

Well, what a fantastic final yesterday! Beautiful weather, heaps of people and an absolutely terrific game!

Scores:-

Bentleigh Uniting (batting first) 10/109 (in the 20th over).
Brett Ernst 51n/o, 2 catches and 2 stumpings - named Most Valuable Player of the G/F (by the Umps).
B. Turner - 18.
Elwood bowling - R. DeHaan 3/26 (4), M. Bunting 3/17 (4).

Elwood 10/108 (20).
C. DeLutis 21, N.Harris 17.
BUCC bowling - S.Surridge 3/19 (4), A.Russell 3/18 (4).

Bentleigh Uniting won by 1 run on the last ball of the game!

Congrats to Glen and the BUCC boys! Congrats to Marshall and the Elwood boys!
Well done to the umpires - Harry Sherrard & Steve Bott!

Cheers all....

One of the best games of cricket i have seen for some time, what a atmosphere the crowd was spectacular over 200+ people i reckon both sides fighting tooth and nail right to the end. Anyone who did not attend last night completely missed out on a great evening, just goes to show cricket does not have to be high scoring to excite people well done to all involved the CMCA have done a brilliant job and hopefully last night can inspire sides to go at it full strength next season as a lot great things can come out of it.

Well done too Marshall and the Elwood boys and Glen and the Uniting lads!

Because the Glen Eira Clowncil top-dressed the ground today despite knowing there was a game of cricket to be played tonight. They claimed it was the only opportunity they had as all Parks & Gardens staff have a Xmas party on Thursday!! This would not surprise anyone involved in Sporting clubs in the City of Glen Eira. No doubt Centenary would have been a better venue but a cracking game anyway. The BUCC got up by 1 run with a wicket on the last ball. Only made 109 with Pup the only one getting runs with a nice 50 odd. Elwood started well and looked good things but wickets then fell regularly. About 3 times they looked gone but fought it right out. Probably stiff not to get the win in the end. Good crowd and fantastic atmosphere. Seemed to be played in pretty good spirits. Well done to all involved

The cmca were told of this happening a few weeks back, the same as other comps were told

Merl, you still owe me a point.

Perhaps the new year will see a more positive outlook.

Merry Xmas & Happy NY to all contributors to this forum, keep it fun and funny next year whilst still getting to crux of the real issues!!!

Jimmy

The cmca were told of this happening a few weeks back, the same as other comps were told

Correct. They were told but arrangements were made to have it done on the Thursday to accommodate this game. I mean isn’t that why we have cricket grounds….to play cricket on..…

The club were told very late in the piece that it was now going to be top dressed on the Wednesday and the reason provided was the staff xmas party being held on Thursday. Fair enough but if the club knew in advance then they would not have advertised it as being at Centenary Park and could have perhaps sourced a better venue. Anyway what’s done is done and no point labouring the point.

Why propose the question Shane Lee... your thoughts?
late reply sugar havent stepped foot online in a while, thought proposed as i saw the youngster play some cricket as a kid and talent was looming, although i have heard a shoulder injury has caused a lack of form but i wouldnt be suprised if that was just ANA creating yet again another excuse. ANA woeful in 20/20 but a brilliant performance by uniting led by ernst to victory yet again.

Shooky La La Clocker nought thimble,​
Merl had a bit of time on his hands and did a bit of investigating about the pot calling the kettle black or thimbles in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.​
Enjoy your game of french cricket with Burgermeister,Sledge,toilet paper etc.The way you are going you will have enough for a full cricket team!!!!
Merl,​
I am not sure at what stage your mind went off the tracks but you have become ( or are) a hate filled individual who can only contribute by criticizing everyone. You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with Brett & the Executive. I hope you are not one of these serial stalkers. The point of this forum is to have a little bit of fun, talk some crap and analyze the competition. I would hope that some of the comments and contributions made on this forum have contributed to some change for the better in the competition. Alas nothing pleases you, because people like you are only satisfied when you are whining about something. Cross me off your tipping competition as it only serves to satisfy your controlling personality.

CLOCKER, Dec 17, 2010 Report

Mr Ernst's loss of weight has corresponded with an alarming loss of form.The clock is ticking and a hard call will have to be made shortly if runs are not forthcoming. He usually enjoys playing against the Mackie lads so it could be the turning point for him.
CLOCKER, Nov 22, 2010 Report

Merlot my grumpy old friend, I am some what bemused by your constant attacks on the Executive. Granted two or three seasons ago it was a shambles, and I for one openly admit I was a vociferous critic, but they have definitely lifted their game to the extent that they are quite proactive and have ensured that the competition continues to grow and thrive. They have taken a lot of the criticisms on board and quietly worked to resolve a number of the issues.Your major gripe appears to centre upon the lack of scores in the paper on Sunday mornings, and the wide rule that they were trying to enforce in the 20/20 tournament which they eventually overturned. Yes it is an inconvenience as we all enjoy skimming the scores whilst partaking in our morning cup tea and cereal, but ultimately it comes back to the clubs.
CLOCKER, Nov 24, 2010 Report

Come back Brett, don't let anyone control your views as we do live in a Democracy of sorts.We all have our views and we will disagree, but when people start dictating what you can and can't say then we are no better than the totalitarianist regimes that permeate our pathetic world. We can always agree to disagree.
clip_image002.gif

CLOCKER, Oct 28, 2010 Report

Re: City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Longmuir early market:

and the return of Brett Ernst will ensure that Uniting is nearly unbeatable this year. As much as I admire the Juggernaut, I am afraid I have to jump ship this season. May God have mercy on my soul.

CLOCKER, Sep 16, 2010 Report

Cudo's to the Executive for finally making a decision which is why they are there, it is just they made a decision on the wrong issue. Personally I would have started by changing the playing rules to Woolnough and increasing the overs they play to 72 and bringing this new rule change into the 20/20 tournament and see how it operates and allow an opportunity to perhaps tinker or amend it once they have seen it in action.
CLOCKER, Sep 29, 2010 Report
What an interesting first round.
It will be an interesting selection meeting on Tuesday night. Mr Ernst may become our resident expert on the Woolnough Grade for the next match.Who knows?
CLOCKER, Oct 11, 2010 Report

Back