West Indies in Australia

Re: West Indies in Australia

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387464 said:
Good, I thought my IP had been banned.
Didnt you get the message that was something along the lines of our server is being updated, keep checking back and refreshing?

thommy_rissole;387433 said:
I would like to know when he has chased down the last 15 runs in an over actually happened? I checked cricinfo but couldn't find anything :confused:

Also, I noted that he has never made a 50 opening but eddie beat me to the post. 48 being his top score.

If you're going to post something factual Bore-is, make sure that it is in fact factual.

That coming from you :rolleyes:

The one time I haven't been able to back up an argument with solid stats. And even then, most of my reasoning comes from actually watching a player, seemingly a lost art these days.

I didn't say he has ever chased down 15 runs in a last over, but he is the sort of player that does it. He and Hussey are the two finishers for the side, quick runs and you can almost always see a 15+ score coming from him in the dying overs. Not much, you might say, but that's the difference between a 220 score and a 240 score.

Boris;387502 said:

The one time I haven't been able to back up an argument with solid stats. And even then, most of my reasoning comes from actually watching a player, seemingly a lost art these days.

I didn't say he has ever chased down 15 runs in a last over, but he is the sort of player that does it. He and Hussey are the two finishers for the side, quick runs and you can almost always see a 15+ score coming from him in the dying overs. Not much, you might say, but that's the difference between a 220 score and a 240 score.

He's never done it in one of his matches, but he is the sort of player who will? Let's keep him in because maybe once in 100 matches he might chase down the last 15 in an over, but only maybe.

Boris you have a habit of trying to list something as factual when really it is just something you have in your head. Normally you put up a decent argument though but sadly this one is lost.

Why do they play the anthems before every match now?

Looks like the crowd is going to be pretty poor.

have to say im liking how well the windies have bowled
havin said that i reckon if gayle, simmons and pollard dont fire, then the aussies will have it.

would gladly be proven wrong tho, i have a soft spot for the windies - underdog syndrome :)

Reasonable effort to restrict Australia to 256, good opportunity for the West Indies to grab a win if they bat sensibly.

Slowly starting to build a partneship the West Indies, hopefully they can keep it up and make the game a contest.

Kram81;387560 said:
Reasonable effort to restrict Australia to 256, good opportunity for the West Indies to grab a win if they bat sensibly.

Reasonable effort at first glance, but the pitch was poor, lets be frank. It was slow and two-paced, 250 was a formidable target on that wicket.

Poor pitches like that make ODI cricket boring, I want to see the ball carrying through to the keeper with good pace, becaues I want to see gun players like Ponting and Gayle playing good cricket shots rather then seeing medium pacers bowling cutters.

Pretty boring game due primarily to the wicket IMO.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387582 said:
Reasonable effort at first glance, but the pitch was poor, lets be frank. It was slow and two-paced, 250 was a formidable target on that wicket.

Poor pitches like that make ODI cricket boring, I want to see the ball carrying through to the keeper with good pace, becaues I want to see gun players like Ponting and Gayle playing good cricket shots rather then seeing medium pacers bowling cutters.

Pretty boring game due primarily to the wicket IMO.

Totally agree. What we saw on Friday night was very, very entertaining, and good cricket players can survive that kind of bowling. I doubt Runako Morton would've last very long with 160km/h coming down at him, but I suppose they wanted the game to be entertaining, and maybe that kind of pitch is what they thought would help the West Indies get close.

Boris;387502 said:

breeno;387539 said:
He's never done it in one of his matches, but he is the sort of player who will? Let's keep him in because maybe once in 100 matches he might chase down the last 15 in an over, but only maybe.

Boris you have a habit of trying to list something as factual when really it is just something you have in your head. Normally you put up a decent argument though but sadly this one is lost.

Boris you're getting your dreams mixed up with reality.

On another note and on topic, anyone else think Australia should just play against South Africa, India & England (in England)?

At the moment the rubbish that the other nations are producing is turning me away from watching cricket. I know the West Indies are struggling with injury from some experienced heads but it seems once Gayle goes out the game is all but over.

Credit to the way Australia are playing at the moment, but I would like to see some competitive ODI's.

In fairness to the West Indies, most of the time they have been at least competitive in the ODI format over the years.

At full strength they actually have a more dynamic team then many people would give them credit for. Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Edwards, Taylor, Benn.

That is a pretty decent backbone for any team.

I'd rather concentrate on the wickets, you can hardly blame the Windies - they are injury ravaged. Get some quick wickets with good bounce, im not particularly fussed on how close the game is as long as the cricket skills on show are first-rate.

It's why I couldn't understand why people got bored when we won everything a few years back, it was great to see the skills of guys like Warne and McGrath and Ponting.

I'd take that exhibition of how to play the game over a close, but ultimately second-grade contest played on wickets which are not conducive to good cricket.

It's somewhat a philosophical question but personally my opinion is that cricket, like any other sport, is a contest first and foremost. If you remove the competitiveness then the encounter becomes meaningless outside of a somewhat esoteric display of skill.

You can call me not a 'true fan' if you like, but I watch cricket for the sporting spectacle rather than to appreciate it as some kind of artform. For that reason I will always prefer to watch Zimbabwe v Bangladesh than Australia v Zimbabwe.

Caesar;387629 said:
It's somewhat a philosophical question but personally my opinion is that cricket, like any other sport, is a contest first and foremost. If you remove the competitiveness then the encounter becomes meaningless outside of a somewhat esoteric display of skill.

You can call me not a 'true fan' if you like, but I watch cricket for the sporting spectacle rather than to appreciate it as some kind of artform. For that reason I will always prefer to watch Zimbabwe v Bangladesh than Australia v Zimbabwe.

That's fair enough - a contest is always good with a great finish, but equally it is great to see undisputed greats of the game in full flight.

The Windies have quite an impressive team on paper - without the injuries that is - but teamwork is the thing they lack.

At the moment I will do a draft of their batting line up from where the runs come from:

Gayle
Gayle
Gayle
Gayle
Deonerine
Pollard
Smith

Then add Gayle as one of the bowlers and Pollard as the other. That is the team at the moment. 4 guys can't take on 11 of the finest.

Plus I never fail to be amused by the size of Pollard. The stumps go up to his knees!

West Indies all out for 170 off 39.4, not going to be much of a chase but surely someone is going to turn it on for a bit of fun. Hopefully anyway :).

Marsh is on the march. 24 off 18 he is, three fours and a six and is playing some very good shots. This is the time he has been getting out lately, let's hope he can get through it. Wonder if Watson can play second fiddle for once, doesn't seem able to.

Well, Marsh almost did it again. Edged to slip, but Dowlin drops it. It's always a good way to get out of a bit of a form slump by using a dropped catch as an oppurtunity. Hard catch though.

And he can't do it. Marsh out for 27 after chopping it back onto his stumps off Smith. Good bowling, stuck to a plan and it worked.

Back